Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 02:36 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,241,624 times

Advertisements

Crackheads, criminals and sociopaths don't pay much attention to geography. They are in any major city, worldwide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 03:32 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,072,683 times
Default Nairobbery and others

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Nairobi is sometimes also known by the unfortunate name of Muggerobi,for reasons rather al to obvious.
Actually, it's 'Nairobbery'....
never head the term muggarobi....
but maybe that's a new addition?
However, even back in the mid 90's, when i lived there, it was known as nairobbery, and for good reason!

I hear from friends it's worsened since then...so, yea, should be on the list.
Addis Abbaba, on the other hand, was perfectly fine, when I visited. I even accidentally wandered thru the bad part of town, and also accidentally stayed in not the best hotel [looked fine/clean, but a haven for prostitutes, it turned out]....and I didn't have any problems. Perhaps that is b/c I was coming from NBI at the time-so my perspective was skewed.

Also, when we talk 'safest', do we mean violent crimes, or do we include robberies/theft, etc?

Safest cities for me were in taiwan, hands down.
I biked and walked at night regularly (in a city of a million!),a nd never was worried, as a female, which is rare. Also, as a female, it's a different set of criteria, you know?
I've lived in small cities in the US that are very safe, but I still don't feel super comfortable walking after 9 pm, but would if with a companion.

Sad truth of it as a woman on this planet. The list will be different for us.
I'm not sure we can really narrow it down, except by types of crimes, gender crimes, and categories of 'safe or not safe'-rather than absolute numbers, you know?

Old 09-01-2010, 12:27 PM

741 posts, read 2,781,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVanNostrand View Post
I would assume that Baghdad is pretty dangerous, and I've heard nothing but bad things about Nairobi...

First hand, the most dangerous city that I've ever been to is Washington, DC, and it's not even close. Of course, I don't seek out danger so my exposure to dangerous cities is pretty limited.
The days of DC being dangerous compared to cities on that list isn't even on the radar. I wouldn't even lump New Orleans in with those places...

Old 09-01-2010, 08:43 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,567,214 times
Port Moresby, New Guinea is said to be pretty dangerous. Moscow once had a pretty bad reputation.

Latin American cities might have the worst though. Although safer than they used to be several Colombian cities are still pretty high in murder, etc. I've heard Belize, although not technically Latin American as it's English speaking, has some big problems with drug trafficking. Caracas, as mentioned, has shot up. New Orleans and St. Louis, in the US, might be among the worst in the world.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:43 AM

321 posts, read 960,740 times
I was mugged in Johannesburg. Interesting experience.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:10 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,740,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Although safer than they used to be several Colombian cities are still pretty high in murder, etc.
That's only if you are actively involved in the drug trade though. Most visitors have never had anything bad happen to them in Colombia, unless they happen to venture into out of the way rural places where FARC is still in control.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:04 AM

321 posts, read 960,740 times
I have read that Bogota and Medellin are excellent cities to visit now, but they will probably be weighted down with unsavory reputations for at least the next 20 or 30 years.

When an unexpected violent situation occurs in France, the expression still goes "It's Chicago!" and that dates back to Al Capone.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:37 AM

46 posts, read 65,500 times
Default Gosh

Ok I'm from Europe but my parents moved to the USA when I was a baby. I'm now 22, and my general rule is don't ever comment on WHAT YOU HEAR speak for something you know about yourself.

So I've been all over the USA, I recently went to Germany, Bosnia and Croatia this year to meet/visit my older siblings from both parents first marriage and all my grand parents, aunts and uncles (my dad is from Germany my mom is ethnic Croatian from Bosnia)

Now I heard and was warned that Bosnia was a war zone, and to be careful. This was false, I saw a lot of new reconstruction throughout the country even people driving new benz etc., all over the place. Every one was so nice I met serbs, croats and muslims. I took Kantic Auto Bus (similar to Greyhound in USA) it stoped in EVERY city in Bosnia pretty much, on our way back to Germany. Bosnia was nicer than I thought it would be. CROATIA was just PARADISE and Germany was by far the BEST country I've ever been to in my life its so high tech, safe, advanced and classy/upscale. Nothing like places in America. I've never seen such a nice/safe place in my life. Germany is something special and I'm moving there in a month FOR GOOD and never coming back to this joke of a country. There is no need to do so.

The worst cities I've been to include
Chicago (southside) we got lost on a trip and ended up in a war zone
St Louis (northside)
New Orleans
The Northside of Jacksonville, Florida (OMG)
and pretty much every city in the USA has a severe ghetto. I hate that tax money goes to the government and they pretend that welfare and food stamps is what eats up the social system, yet they all in the white house are multi millionares making money off these american citizens. There is no Quality of life in America, most of the poor people in this country live similar lives to people in Africa. I really think america is a joke, especially after I was all over Europe in many cities.

I cant wait to leave this place you are not safe anywhere here because criminals just don't limit their crimes to the ghetto areas only!

Old 09-03-2010, 07:03 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,870,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovegermany View Post
Ok I'm from Europe but my parents moved to the USA when I was a baby. I'm now 22, and my general rule is don't ever comment on WHAT YOU HEAR speak for something you know about yourself.

So I've been all over the USA, I recently went to Germany, Bosnia and Croatia this year to meet/visit my older siblings from both parents first marriage and all my grand parents, aunts and uncles (my dad is from Germany my mom is ethnic Croatian from Bosnia)

Now I heard and was warned that Bosnia was a war zone, and to be careful. This was false, I saw a lot of new reconstruction throughout the country even people driving new benz etc., all over the place. Every one was so nice I met serbs, croats and muslims. I took Kantic Auto Bus (similar to Greyhound in USA) it stoped in EVERY city in Bosnia pretty much, on our way back to Germany. Bosnia was nicer than I thought it would be. CROATIA was just PARADISE and Germany was by far the BEST country I've ever been to in my life its so high tech, safe, advanced and classy/upscale. Nothing like places in America. I've never seen such a nice/safe place in my life. Germany is something special and I'm moving there in a month FOR GOOD and never coming back to this joke of a country. There is no need to do so.

The worst cities I've been to include
Chicago (southside) we got lost on a trip and ended up in a war zone
St Louis (northside)
New Orleans
The Northside of Jacksonville, Florida (OMG)
and pretty much every city in the USA has a severe ghetto. I hate that tax money goes to the government and they pretend that welfare and food stamps is what eats up the social system, yet they all in the white house are multi millionares making money off these american citizens. There is no Quality of life in America, most of the poor people in this country live similar lives to people in Africa. I really think america is a joke, especially after I was all over Europe in many cities.

I cant wait to leave this place you are not safe anywhere here because criminals just don't limit their crimes to the ghetto areas only!

lol what city you moving to? my parents are from there as well, i plan on moving back to in a few years, my mom and dad moved to miami for the weather in the 80's yet my mom hates it here, she wont leave cause she hates the cold

Old 09-06-2010, 11:39 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Five World's Most Dangerous Cities

Most lists go like this

1. Mogadishu, Somalia
2. Pick a Mexican/ US border city (Juarez or Tijuana)
3. Caracas, Venezuela
4. New Orleans, United States
5. Pick a South African city (Jo'burg or Cape Town)

Based on your travels or first hand accounts of travelers which city do you think is the most dangerous?
I highly doubt New Orleans is one of the world's deadliest cities. Even in the US, Detroit usually ranks higher, as unfortunately Baltimore (thanks to the way our city borders are drawn as most of this region is ok.) I've read Baghdad is the most dangerous place in the world and that Iraq is the worst country to live in, no surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World