Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 12:20 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovegermany View Post
Ok I'm from Europe but my parents moved to the USA when I was a baby. I'm now 22, and my general rule is don't ever comment on WHAT YOU HEAR speak for something you know about yourself.

So I've been all over the USA, I recently went to Germany, Bosnia and Croatia this year to meet/visit my older siblings from both parents first marriage and all my grand parents, aunts and uncles (my dad is from Germany my mom is ethnic Croatian from Bosnia)

Now I heard and was warned that Bosnia was a war zone, and to be careful. This was false, I saw a lot of new reconstruction throughout the country even people driving new benz etc., all over the place. Every one was so nice I met serbs, croats and muslims. I took Kantic Auto Bus (similar to Greyhound in USA) it stoped in EVERY city in Bosnia pretty much, on our way back to Germany. Bosnia was nicer than I thought it would be. CROATIA was just PARADISE and Germany was by far the BEST country I've ever been to in my life its so high tech, safe, advanced and classy/upscale. Nothing like places in America. I've never seen such a nice/safe place in my life. Germany is something special and I'm moving there in a month FOR GOOD and never coming back to this joke of a country. There is no need to do so.

The worst cities I've been to include
Chicago (southside) we got lost on a trip and ended up in a war zone
St Louis (northside)
New Orleans
The Northside of Jacksonville, Florida (OMG)
and pretty much every city in the USA has a severe ghetto. I hate that tax money goes to the government and they pretend that welfare and food stamps is what eats up the social system, yet they all in the white house are multi millionares making money off these american citizens. There is no Quality of life in America, most of the poor people in this country live similar lives to people in Africa. I really think america is a joke, especially after I was all over Europe in many cities.

I cant wait to leave this place you are not safe anywhere here because criminals just don't limit their crimes to the ghetto areas only!
If you feel Europe does things sooo much better in this regard, Germany is more than welcome to take in all of our oh-so-oppressed "Poor" so they can live with you guys instead.

For many complex and historically ingrained reasons, America is afflicted with various subgroups who find being thuggish and uneducated an alternative to being educated and productive. I'm really tired of Europeans smugness on the matter. Maybe we should ship our poor off to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 12:52 AM

693 posts, read 1,606,326 times
Quote:
Ok I'm from Europe but my parents moved to the USA when I was a baby. I'm now 22, and my general rule is don't ever comment on WHAT YOU HEAR speak for something you know about yourself.

So I've been all over the USA, I recently went to Germany, Bosnia and Croatia this year to meet/visit my older siblings from both parents first marriage and all my grand parents, aunts and uncles (my dad is from Germany my mom is ethnic Croatian from Bosnia)

Now I heard and was warned that Bosnia was a war zone, and to be careful. This was false, I saw a lot of new reconstruction throughout the country even people driving new benz etc., all over the place. Every one was so nice I met serbs, croats and muslims. I took Kantic Auto Bus (similar to Greyhound in USA) it stoped in EVERY city in Bosnia pretty much, on our way back to Germany. Bosnia was nicer than I thought it would be. CROATIA was just PARADISE and Germany was by far the BEST country I've ever been to in my life its so high tech, safe, advanced and classy/upscale. Nothing like places in America. I've never seen such a nice/safe place in my life. Germany is something special and I'm moving there in a month FOR GOOD and never coming back to this joke of a country. There is no need to do so.

The worst cities I've been to include
Chicago (southside) we got lost on a trip and ended up in a war zone
St Louis (northside)
New Orleans
The Northside of Jacksonville, Florida (OMG)
and pretty much every city in the USA has a severe ghetto. I hate that tax money goes to the government and they pretend that welfare and food stamps is what eats up the social system, yet they all in the white house are multi millionares making money off these american citizens. There is no Quality of life in America, most of the poor people in this country live similar lives to people in Africa. I really think america is a joke, especially after I was all over Europe in many cities.

I cant wait to leave this place you are not safe anywhere here because criminals just don't limit their crimes to the ghetto areas only!
Whoever told you that Bosnia is still a war zone obviously is completely ignorant about global affairs. Croatia has long been known as being a complete diamond. No news there.

Yes American cities have their ghettos, but so do European cities. As a tourist you wouldn't have visited those areas though, would you? I also really appreciate Germany's cleanliness, efficiency, etc., so I'm not saying this to bash any European country. Europe is beautiful and has many positive points.

To say that the USA has no quality of life and is not safe anywhere is complete hyperbole. It's about the equivalent of saying that Europe is completely safe. Did you know that you are 6 times more likely to have a crime committed against you in London vs. NYC?

If you want to move to Germany that's great, we should all live where we feel comfortable and enjoy our lives. But if you're expecting utopia you might have a bit of a surprise. And maybe you should open your eyes a bit to the many positive sides of life in the States. Making generalizations (particularly negative ones) is very easy, yet also incredibly ignorant.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:10 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
I hope you can find your way back to Germany or wherever.

However I know people who deal with poverty in Africa and the US. You really can't compare the two. The only way Africans might be better off is in having a greater sense of community. I think a poor person in America might be more alienating and alone than many poor people elsewhere. Although I think a poor person in London might be quite alienated and alone too.

Otherwise American poor really aren't dying of starvation, infectious disease, or childbirth as much as even average Africans I think. There are African cities safer than American cities, but it varies. The Dakotas (outside the Reservations), New Hampshire, and Vermont are roughly as safe as European nations. Possibly safer than nations like Finland or the Baltics.

America has lots of problems, but you don't need to go over-the-top with it to express your love for your homeland in Europe.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:19 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Port Moresby, New Guinea is said to be pretty dangerous.
I've heard really bad stuff about Port Moresby. There was a quality of life survey that said that Port Moresby had the 2nd lowest quality of life of any big city in the world, only Baghdad was worse. It ranked even lower than Karachi.

Quote:
Moscow once had a pretty bad reputation.
Yes, I've heard very bad stuff about Moscow.

Quote:
Latin American cities might have the worst though. Although safer than they used to be several Colombian cities are still pretty high in murder, etc. I've heard Belize, although not technically Latin American as it's English speaking, has some big problems with drug trafficking. Caracas, as mentioned, has shot up.
Caracas has the highest violent crime rate in the world. An even higher murder rate than Juarez or Johannesburg. (While Tijuana's certainly violent it's actually safer than the other Mexican border cities - granted this isn't saying much.)

I've been told that Colombian violence doesn't affect those not involved in the drug trade much anymore.

Quote:
New Orleans and St. Louis, in the US, might be among the worst in the world.
Or Detroit.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:36 PM

139 posts, read 441,232 times
Rio can be pretty dangerous but I don't let that stop me from spending a lot of time there. I feel that you can be killed anywhere. When it's your time to go its your time to go. The Brazilians are positive and upbeat and sexy as hell. I can't wait to relocate there even though people gave me the usual blather about drug wars and kidnappings blah blah blah when they find out I was applying for a permanent visa.

I have friends who relocated there and have absolutely no plans of returning to the States. It's not always about being "safe" but about living a life full of love, laughter and passion - all of which is a part of Brazilian society and culture.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:59 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDominadora View Post
Rio can be pretty dangerous but I don't let that stop me from spending a lot of time there. I feel that you can be killed anywhere. When it's your time to go its your time to go. The Brazilians are positive and upbeat and sexy as hell. I can't wait to relocate there even though people gave me the usual blather about drug wars and kidnappings blah blah blah when they find out I was applying for a permanent visa.

I have friends who relocated there and have absolutely no plans of returning to the States. It's not always about being "safe" but about living a life full of love, laughter and passion - all of which is a part of Brazilian society and culture.
I lived in Brazil for six months (about 10 years ago). It was difficult to make a living...but I must say I absolutely fell in love with the place. So much so, that for years afterwards I was planning to emigrate to Brazil once I'd saved enough money. (In retrospect, I would have needed to study a lot more Portuguese as well).

Despite 'violence' in Brazil (as pertaining to this thread), it really is an incredible place!!

Old 11-01-2010, 12:49 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,395,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I highly doubt New Orleans is one of the world's deadliest cities. Even in the US, Detroit usually ranks higher, as unfortunately Baltimore (thanks to the way our city borders are drawn as most of this region is ok.) I've read Baghdad is the most dangerous place in the world and that Iraq is the worst country to live in, no surprise.
If your talking about most dangerous cities in the world New Orleans should never make that list as it is not even the most dangerous city in the U.S in reality. If it were, it wouldn't remain one of the most visited cities in the U.S. historically and currently. When it comes down to most deadly cities, which means per capita murder rates only, New Orleans has been more deadlier than Detroit and it's not as close as people think due to the fact that many still think that most dangerous and most deadly are one in the same and Detroit has ranked highest many times as most dangerous as any major city but in the last 20 yrs (1990-2009) Detroit has posted a higher per capita murder rate than New Orleans only 2yrs (1992 & 1999) while New Orleans' avg per capita murder rate over that 20 yr period is 59 per 100,000 and Detroit's avg per capita murder rate during the same 20 yr period is 46 per 100,000. So Detroit = most dangerous and New Orleans = most deadly

Old 11-01-2010, 09:37 PM

6,038 posts, read 5,950,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
If you feel Europe does things sooo much better in this regard, Germany is more than welcome to take in all of our oh-so-oppressed "Poor" so they can live with you guys instead.

For many complex and historically ingrained reasons, America is afflicted with various subgroups who find being thuggish and uneducated an alternative to being educated and productive. I'm really tired of Europeans smugness on the matter. Maybe we should ship our poor off to them.
What Europe does is provide greater support to their under class and folk on hard times.
Some will argue too well,but thats another subject. But Europe has enough of their own sub groups and social problems it just manages it differently.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:14 PM

19 posts, read 47,619 times
after reading this post I googled dangerous cities in the world...I was planning to go to Thailand this next January after I go to Vietnam but then I found out...."Bangkok Thailand- Thailand is the #1 producer of opium and heroin in the world. A major transit for those drugs is the capital Bangkok. Therefore making it unsafe. Last year they had, 20,000 assaults, 13,500 burglaries, and 5,000 murders. That ranks top in south east Asia. The violence and crime due to social unrest makes Bangkok top 10 for sure." I'm reconsidering that trip to Bangkok.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:29 AM

6,038 posts, read 5,950,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojoemc View Post
after reading this post I googled dangerous cities in the world...I was planning to go to Thailand this next January after I go to Vietnam but then I found out...."Bangkok Thailand- Thailand is the #1 producer of opium and heroin in the world. A major transit for those drugs is the capital Bangkok. Therefore making it unsafe. Last year they had, 20,000 assaults, 13,500 burglaries, and 5,000 murders. That ranks top in south east Asia. The violence and crime due to social unrest makes Bangkok top 10 for sure." I'm reconsidering that trip to Bangkok.
If you are serious in your concern with regards to visiting Thailand you really needed be. Most dangerous thing there is the roads(foreigners on motor bikes is a big killer) and during the off season beaches can be very unsafe,although drownings have decreased this year.
Stay away from political gatherings and take normal precautions on the streets late at night'
Thailand attracts many millions of tourists a year and has a large number of ex pats based/living there. Many/most love the country. Go and enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World