Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 11:01 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda Force View Post
Medellin and Cali are shoo-ins - several foreign tourists have been murdered in the Medellin area over the last two years which is weird as it's gotten no attention. Cali remains very dangerous.

Over 500,000 you say?

Mexico: Ciudad Juarez
Jamaica: Kingston
Guatemala: Guatemala City
Honduras: San Pedro Sula
El Salvador: San Salvador
Colombia: Medellin
Venezuela: Caracas
Brazil: Maceio
South Africa: Durban
you have it spot on except it would be johannesburg instead of durban and rio instead of maceio in brazil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 06:49 PM

46 posts, read 65,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
If you feel Europe does things sooo much better in this regard, Germany is more than welcome to take in all of our oh-so-oppressed "Poor" so they can live with you guys instead.

For many complex and historically ingrained reasons, America is afflicted with various subgroups who find being thuggish and uneducated an alternative to being educated and productive. I'm really tired of Europeans smugness on the matter. Maybe we should ship our poor off to them.
Or maybe the USA (supposed land of the dreams and wealthy) should take care of its own citizens. For one, USA citizens can NOT immigrate to Europe (thank god) because the EU knows that USA has the largest amount of 3rd world poverty than any other first world country. The USA is disgusting and so trashy.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:10 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Dangerous cities for everyone well, I hear that places like Mogadishu, Caracas, some cities in South Africa,etc are considered dangerous. I hear of some cities being dangerous for White tourists. There are some places that are dangerous for Black people. One city I hear of is Moscow, where alot of Neo-Nazi attacks against non-White foreigners occur, moreso than alot of other places. One thing I notice is that alot of factots can very in how dangerous a city is. While some cities tend to be dangerous all around, there are some places where specific persons have to be careful.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:14 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowWalk View Post
My personal experience: Anyplace in 1) Nigeria 2) Colombia and 3) Somolia, 4) Hillbrow (Downtown Johannessburg) just boils with danger, 5) Sau Paulo, 6) Abidjan, 7) Mexico City, 8) Harare, 9) Addis Ababa, 10) Panama City.
The danger is Colombia is overhyped. In the past 4 or 5 years the government has gotten a much better handle on the FARC situation. Now there are some dangerous places in cities like Cali, Bogota, Medellin, and some of the other big cities. But it's like most big cities in this country. Know where the hell you are going, don't flash a lot of cash or jewelry, and be aware of the people around you and your surroundings.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:59 AM

230 posts, read 905,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The danger is Colombia is overhyped. In the past 4 or 5 years the government has gotten a much better handle on the FARC situation. Now there are some dangerous places in cities like Cali, Bogota, Medellin, and some of the other big cities. But it's like most big cities in this country. Know where the hell you are going, don't flash a lot of cash or jewelry, and be aware of the people around you and your surroundings.
Also true of Sao Paulo. Its murder rate has gone way down the last few years and is now around around the same as Chicago´s. Which may seem high to someone fom Europe but is not all that bad. I live in Rio, it is dangerous, but I went to college in New Orleans in the mid ninetees and New Orleans felt more dangerous to me than Rio.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:31 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
Also true of Sao Paulo. Its murder rate has gone way down the last few years and is now around around the same as Chicago´s. Which may seem high to someone fom Europe but is not all that bad. I live in Rio, it is dangerous, but I went to college in New Orleans in the mid ninetees and New Orleans felt more dangerous to me than Rio.
if you think chicagos murder rate is 'not all bad' then you must be a used to danger

Old 02-06-2011, 12:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
St. Louis gets a bad rap because of the geography. St. Louis is constrained to the City of St. Louis, and statistically cannot expand to St. Louis County. That's a pretty small area restricted to the central city, with all suburban area lying outside the city limits. The city itself has fewer than 350,000 people, and since it is all inner-city, has a deceptively high statistical crime rate.

St. Louis crime is pretty much the same as any other city, but the crime nearly all occurs within the rather small confines of the city. Metro St. Louis is quite safe. St. Louis City has a murder rate of around 45, while St. Louis County, with three times the population of the City, has a murder rate of less than 3, making it, overall, one of the safest metropolitan areas in the USA.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-06-2011 at 12:18 AM..

Old 02-06-2011, 04:15 AM

38 posts, read 118,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
A city from the US will not ever appear on this list.

Reason being, I have been to many 3rd World Countries(3WC) where certain US equivalent laws are completely ignored. Image that level ignorance, then you will easily see where an individual can and will cross the line with no fear of repercussion, i.e. prison. Believe it or not, there can be some good with the lawlessness, too. For example, on a recent visit to a 3WC, the neighborhood identified a pedophile. Before the cops arrived, they actually drug him through the streets beating him to a pulp. He was screaming for the police to come.

I sorry but those who list American cities truly have no clue what they are saying until they visit a lawless area. Believe me, Detroit, East St Louis, Miami, Houston, etc are not that bad.
Spot on. The US and it's cities tend to dominate the news and documentaries for crime more than any country and I assume this puts misleading ideas into peoples' heads.

It's the places you don't hear about in the mainstream media that, ironically, have the worst cities: Colombia, Honduras, Venezuela etc. have exponentially worse cities than the US.

People also use dodgy stats for US cities, leaving off their huge suburbs like the St. Louis comment someone just made.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:18 AM

38 posts, read 118,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
I just touched on this. Sao Paulo's murder rate is much higher than Chicago (though I wouldn't say they're comparable).

Old 02-06-2011, 03:28 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,670,108 times
Default You must be from St. Louis originally, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
St. Louis gets a bad rap because of the geography. St. Louis is constrained to the City of St. Louis, and statistically cannot expand to St. Louis County. That's a pretty small area restricted to the central city, with all suburban area lying outside the city limits. The city itself has fewer than 350,000 people, and since it is all inner-city, has a deceptively high statistical crime rate.

St. Louis crime is pretty much the same as any other city, but the crime nearly all occurs within the rather small confines of the city. Metro St. Louis is quite safe. St. Louis City has a murder rate of around 45, while St. Louis County, with three times the population of the City, has a murder rate of less than 3, making it, overall, one of the safest metropolitan areas in the USA.
St. Louis gets a bad rap because almost half of the city is now green fields (think Pruitt-Igoe and a great portion of the area to the north, west and east of it). People from St. Louis love to make the distinction between city/county because, when you look at the suburban areas, the crime rate/desolation, etc., don't look so bad.

The true fact is that, rather uniquely, St. Louis has lost about 60% of its population since WWII (worse even than Detroit in terms of outflow). And, the solution has generally been to disassemble the city rather than try to redevelop it. Much of the northern half of the city is literally gone, looking much like what I imagine Dortmund, Hamburg, Cologne, etc., looked like after the war.

It's really sad and pathetic, given that St. Louis had one of richest architectural heritages in the US (and still does on the South Side). But the effects of decades of entrenched white flight can't be denied.

And, until people in the St. Louis regional area begin to come to terms with the fact that "donut" development does not make for a revitalized city, efforts like the Washington Street corridor will remain a token of what should be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World