Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 07:02 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times

Advertisements

I find it quite tolerable. Like all other accents. I don't have a problem with it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 11:43 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerOfFate View Post
I find it a little annoying (Aussie here), but the one thing that irritates me is when people can't tell the two apart! They have completely different pronunciations with most words! Kiwis mix up vowels, and Aussies drawl on them, for one.
Yeah, that I can't understand either. The accents are vastly different.

Not my favourite accent. There's a Kiwi at work and I sometimes have to stop end thunk about what she jest sid. It's just so odd to do those weird things with vowels.

I'd put the Kiwi accent up there with that real ocker Aussie accent, a la Julia Gillard, for annoying. Actually I'd rather listen to a Kiwi than her.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:56 PM

148 posts, read 323,204 times
I have to admit, there are some seriously high pitched Aussie women who make my ears shatter.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:02 AM

22 posts, read 86,122 times
I'm from Europe and have been living in Australia for more than 5 years. I know some Kiwis and have also visited New Zealand.

I agree with some of the people above that many Australians can sound very "uncultured", for lack of a better word, and Kiwis generally sound a bit more civil. However, I can't help but still giggle a bit when I hear those vowels mixed up. To me, that just sounds wrong and some words really then do sound like a completely different word, sometimes with humorous/offensive effect...! You do get used to it though and I find it quite endearing, actually. :-) It's not annoying, anyway.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:06 AM

769 posts, read 1,013,063 times
oh god yes... this one girl ruined that entire country for me

Old 06-10-2010, 08:49 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,125,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerOfFate View Post
I find it a little annoying (Aussie here), but the one thing that irritates me is when people can't tell the two apart! They have completely different pronunciations with most words! Kiwis mix up vowels, and Aussies drawl on them, for one.
Of course, to an Aussie or Kiwi, the differences would stand out more than the similarities. I think US and Canadian accents are similar. As an American, I can tell the difference, but I wouldn't except an Aussie or Kiwi to, because once in a while I can't even tell say a person from Vancouver from a person from Madison, Wisconsin.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:15 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,352 times
I'm American and I like the Kiwi accent. Although I would have to say I like the Scotish accent, then Aussie, then Kiwi, then Italian! In that order.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:28 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Never heard it before, sounds funny

In case you have never heard it, either, pick your online station. Newstalk ZB works well.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:07 PM

281 posts, read 1,237,321 times
I'm American and enjoy the NZ accent quite alot.I listen to internet radio to fall asleep and find that Radio New Zealand International is very good at getting me to sleep. Australian accent is nice but a little rougher around the edges or harder if you will. The white Afrikaner accent I listen to quite a bit on Talk Radio 702 in Johannesburg is actual quite good too but not nearly as relaxing as the Kiwi accent.Plus the locales they talk about in New Zealand are much more exotic sounding Nieue,Papua New Guinea,Solomon Islands,Fiji and other islands I have never even heard of. Also the weather on Radio New Zealand is done in a way that I really can't describe except to say it is different and you would have to listen just after the top of the hour to hear for yourselves.Newstalk ZB has commercials and I prefer non-commercial bRoadcasts as to not disrupt the flow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World