Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 06:03 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,795,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
TWhile I've used both the Adobe stuff and Quark, I think Quark is the better for self-publishing a fully professional looking product.

Unlike Adobe, when you buy the package, it's yours. It isn't in the cloud, and you don't have to buy a subscription to use it or install it on a second computer.
Well... without completely derailing the thread, Quark was essentially obsolete quite a number of years ago and a few reboots haven't really brought it into the present day.

And as someone who uses Creative Suite daily and has used the toolset (and many others) for 20+ years, I much prefer to pay $50 a month for nearly every tool in the set than $2500-3000 for a new box of software followed by $300-800 every year for updates. The subscription model essentially ended the perpetual headache of keeping complex tools up to inter-industry standards.

And nothing in the Adobe set is "in the cloud" except some file sharing stuff - the tools live on your system, just like always, and have to check in with Mama at least once a month to keep the licensing activated. You're thinking of Google tools, which do indeed live on remote servers only.

Back to actual, you know, writing stuff. In the end, all those mega-tools do is write clean HTML/CSS with all the wrinkles needed for EPUB, MOBI and Kindle. You can do without them by learning the more basic stratum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 06:08 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,173,162 times
It sounds better to just write your novel using MSFT Word, then rent whatever for 1-2 months and import your MS, save to chosen ebook format.

I'm not going to pay more for software than I expect to net.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:21 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,795,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It sounds better to just write your novel using MSFT Word, then rent whatever for 1-2 months and import your MS, save to chosen ebook format.

I'm not going to pay more for software than I expect to net.
Then write in Word, export to HTML, and use a good programmer's editor (free) to edit the result, almost entirely with search-and-replaces.

Net cost, given that most people have never paid for a copy of Word: $0.00.

Word is a great tool once you configure it for actual writing and turn off all the useless bells and whistles.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:43 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,173,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Then write in Word, export to HTML, and use a good programmer's editor (free) to edit the result, almost entirely with search-and-replaces.

Net cost, given that most people have never paid for a copy of Word: $0.00.

Word is a great tool once you configure it for actual writing and turn off all the useless bells and whistles.
Funny, I came from an engineering career including writing lots of software. Notepad++ works great!

I've been using Word since '95, currently '07, gonna be '07 forever. I have the beast tamed.

I'm also heavy in HTML, CSS, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing