Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 08:04 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,125,990 times

Advertisements

This is one thing which has annoyed me. The short version/derivative/truncation of the word 'until.' It's spelt 'till' and I believe it's a proper word, not even just slang. Yet I think it's illogical. Why is it not spelt 'til' with one 'L'?

So much so that, oftentimes even when I know it's meant to be spelt 'till' I just write 'til' because I think it makes more sense. That's write, I'm rebelling against the 'correct' spelling/accepted convention because I think it's stupid. I'm not sure what I'd do if it was an academic paper, but in casual writing I think I'm going to stick to this from now on because I think 'till' is just stupid. Would I be justified in breaking this rule? Probably making a big fuss about nothing, but I raise this because sometimes I think English makes no sense, and I just follow it because I'm following the rules. I guess that's why Noah Webster decided to take the 'u' out of colour. I mean who makes the rules anyway? I think English could use a bit more 'trimming' if you ask me. Especially with some silly spellings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 01:00 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,770,679 times
I will reserve my coments till I hear from you Leon

Old 01-16-2012, 01:28 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,760,997 times
According to this person, 'until' is actually derived from 'till', which is the older form.

Til v. till v. ’til v. until « Motivated Grammar

Old 01-16-2012, 04:02 PM

34,122 posts, read 83,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
This is one thing which has annoyed me. The short version/derivative/truncation of the word 'until.' It's spelt 'till' and I believe it's a proper word, not even just slang. Yet I think it's illogical. Why is it not spelt 'til' with one 'L'?
If you ever decide to join the 21st century...
you'll find that "till" relates to a cash drawer and 'til is shortened variant of until.
(whatever you may believe the etymology of until may be)

Old 01-16-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
According to this person, 'until' is actually derived from 'till', which is the older form.

Til v. till v. ’til v. until « Motivated Grammar
Really, well I'll be!

Old 01-16-2012, 04:47 PM

88,689 posts, read 85,015,124 times
I'm still trying to get past "spelt".

Yes, I know it is a variant of "spelled", but not something we've seen commonly in use for the past century or so. At least in the US.

Or a type of grain, obviously not in context here!

Old 01-16-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm still trying to get past "spelt".

Yes, I know it is a variant of "spelled", but not something we've seen commonly in use for the past century or so. At least in the US.

Or a type of grain, obviously not in context here!
It's accepted and still used in British English. I prefer it, shorter to type (speaking of laziness in writing) .

Old 01-16-2012, 06:44 PM

88,689 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's accepted and still used in British English. I prefer it, shorter to type (speaking of laziness in writing) .
Maybe I'll start using it and see if we can get it going again on this side of the pond. I've seen "whilst" popping up again here and there.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:17 PM

51 posts, read 77,929 times
Till is absolutely correct English in Australia (either for a cash register or as a synonym for until), where our English is a bit more British. It's not considered archaic at all and 'til or til are considered bad grammar. Another reference: http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors...rors.html#till

Old 01-17-2012, 10:07 PM

34,122 posts, read 83,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've seen "whilst" popping up again here and there.
I have too; as well as the use of superfluous vowels in common two syllable words.
The common denominator of their use seems to be a pretentious twit doing anything they can to be noticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing