Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 09:35 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,938 times

Advertisements

Just a thought, but I was reflecting on the concept and feeling that nostalgia refers too, as a term or word, with it's connotations.

If you'd look for a dictionary definition of nostalgia, it usually implies "missing the past", especially in childhood, often with the desire to relive or re-experience old things/experiences you've been through. And indeed, I get the impression most people do. But does the connotation of "nostalgia" always involve wanting to relive the experiences of the past or a desire that they return?

For example, when I visit old places I spent my younger days in, I do get a feeling that times have changed (say, businesses changed, buildings gone etc., demographics, neighbours changed). But it doesn't make me want to re-experience or want them to come back, often not at all. But I do get a moving feeling, like "the times they are a --changin'" but it doesn't quite feel the same as wanting those old times back or any desire to live like I did then.

Likewise, if I find out about an old classmate I've not seen since, through connecting online, hearsay, or a chance encounter on the street, and who now has kids, a particular job etc, I do get this odd surreal feeling because I only knew them as say, that goofy guy or shy girl that never talked in class. It's not "missing the past" in the sense that I want the old person back, because indeed, I might not even have particularly liked them or been acquainted with them that much even then, and after a moment, I'd forget about them again and go on with life, but it's still a moving, stirring, feeling of how fast they've changed.

I do get this feeling a lot when I look at past things (such as photographs or reminders of things from the past) and realizing they're gone/changed.

If not, does that properly describe nostalgia or is it a different feeling entirely? Is any kind of "movedness" at the passing of time and the fading away of old things, nostalgia or does it involve particularly liking the past more than now, and wanting the past to return (which is not a feeling I really get)?

I hope my point isn't too vague and I'm getting something across.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 08:27 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Just a thought, but I was reflecting on the concept and feeling that nostalgia refers too, as a term or word, with it's connotations.

If you'd look for a dictionary definition of nostalgia, it usually implies "missing the past", especially in childhood, often with the desire to relive or re-experience old things/experiences you've been through. And indeed, I get the impression most people do. But does the connotation of "nostalgia" always involve wanting to relive the experiences of the past or a desire that they return?

For example, when I visit old places I spent my younger days in, I do get a feeling that times have changed (say, businesses changed, buildings gone etc., demographics, neighbours changed). But it doesn't make me want to re-experience or want them to come back, often not at all. But I do get a moving feeling, like "the times they are a --changin'" but it doesn't quite feel the same as wanting those old times back or any desire to live like I did then.

Likewise, if I find out about an old classmate I've not seen since, through connecting online, hearsay, or a chance encounter on the street, and who now has kids, a particular job etc, I do get this odd surreal feeling because I only knew them as say, that goofy guy or shy girl that never talked in class. It's not "missing the past" in the sense that I want the old person back, because indeed, I might not even have particularly liked them or been acquainted with them that much even then, and after a moment, I'd forget about them again and go on with life, but it's still a moving, stirring, feeling of how fast they've changed.

I do get this feeling a lot when I look at past things (such as photographs or reminders of things from the past) and realizing they're gone/changed.

If not, does that properly describe nostalgia or is it a different feeling entirely? Is any kind of "movedness" at the passing of time and the fading away of old things, nostalgia or does it involve particularly liking the past more than now, and wanting the past to return (which is not a feeling I really get)?

I hope my point isn't too vague and I'm getting something across.
No, I can relate to your post and I found it interesting. Sometimes those feelings are not nostalgia as defined, and the emotions can be mixed.

Three years ago a classmate who was always very mean to me died of a heart attack at 50. I hadn't seen him since high school, but the cruel bully is the only memory I have of him and the first thing that came to mind when I heard the news. I realized he probably wasn't the same person after decades of adulthood, and that thought brought on that sharp awareness of the passage of time, but it's also interesting how we can go "back there" in memory so quickly.

I had been thinking about this same idea recently and what came to mind was the Buddhist (I think) concept of impermanence. Everything is constantly changing and accepting that is part of enlightenment, I guess. Perhaps an awareness of the change and the passing of time is a sign of maturity.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:40 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
That's nostalgia, alright. I'm pretty nostalgic myself. I think people who think their childhood/early years were better are often more nostalgic. A lot of old people are nostalgic for the 'good old days.' I think things always seem better through the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia. I think some memories get idealised as well. I associate nostalgia a lot with missing certain things from a time too, like the culture, music, fashion.etc. I'm nostalgic for how things were in the 90s, not only because it was a great time in my life, but because it was a great time to be alive.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's nostalgia, alright. I'm pretty nostalgic myself. I think people who think their childhood/early years were better are often more nostalgic. A lot of old people are nostalgic for the 'good old days.' I think things always seem better through the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia. I think some memories get idealised as well. I associate nostalgia a lot with missing certain things from a time too, like the culture, music, fashion.etc. I'm nostalgic for how things were in the 90s, not only because it was a great time in my life, but because it was a great time to be alive.
Interesting. I'm only nostalgic for the 90's because my daughter was born in 1991 and those were the years when she was a child. She's an adult now and I sometimes miss that little girl.

However, other than that, the 90's were the time of a horrible marriage that included debt, evictions, calls from collection agencies, trying to maintain a life around an alcoholic, etc. Not exactly a "great time to be alive", but I survived it. On the other hand, I think the 70's--before the US was immersed in the gross materialism of today, was a great time to be alive!

Old 01-16-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Interesting. I'm only nostalgic for the 90's because my daughter was born in 1991 and those were the years when she was a child. She's an adult now and I sometimes miss that little girl.

However, other than that, the 90's were the time of a horrible marriage that included debt, evictions, calls from collection agencies, trying to maintain a life around an alcoholic, etc. Not exactly a "great time to be alive", but I survived it. On the other hand, I think the 70's--before the US was immersed in the gross materialism of today, was a great time to be alive!
Yes it depends on what was happening in your life too. You were much younger in the 70s. Were you a kid? I think - and it's slightly sad in a way - for many of us who had privileged upbringings childhood was the best most nostalgic time to be alive. Some others celebrate adolescence the most - my memories of that time were mostly negative. I didn't like the pop culture of the 00s nearly as much either. If I was born in 1970 the 90s probably wouldn't have seemed magical. The world around me feels mundane compared to when I was a kid when the world seemed like a magical place.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Yes it depends on what was happening in your life too. You were much younger in the 70s. Were you a kid? I think - and it's slightly sad in a way - for many of us who had privileged upbringings childhood was the best most nostalgic time to be alive. Some others celebrate adolescence the most - my memories of that time were mostly negative. I didn't like the pop culture of the 00s nearly as much either. If I was born in 1970 the 90s probably wouldn't have seemed magical. The world around me feels mundane compared to when I was a kid when the world seemed like a magical place.
I was actually a "kid" in the 60's (born in 1958). I did not have a happy adolescence at all--was severely depressed, actually, not that I knew that's what it was back then. That time for me was the 1970's.

My evaluation of the 70's in general--not for me personally--is mostly based on looking back and seeing the changes over time. There is a distinct cultural change that takes place at the end of the 70's. When the 80's hit is the time when the American culture became more openly materialistic. American Express's slogan at the time was "Acquire it!" Having the right car and a certain size house drew the lines between being successful/socially acceptable and not. Designer clothing and then designer everything else came into the culture where it did not exist before (although, this was led off by designer jeans starting in the late 1970's). Sneakers, which were a cheap shoe worn by kids in gym class starting selling for $50 and up and you had to have the "right" ones to be cool. People didn't go "jogging" until the 1980's and that set off the whole expensive, name-brand exercise-clothing fad. BMWs were not a status symbol until the 80's. None of that existed before the 80's in mainstream America.

I personally think there is an upside to this recession in that regard. For so long now people have felt it necessary to have big houses, fancy cars, the "right" clothes and a lot of other crap that really should not matter. Maybe it's time to relearn that lesson.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I was actually a "kid" in the 60's (born in 1958). I did not have a happy adolescence at all--was severely depressed, actually, not that I knew that's what it was back then. That time for me was the 1970's.

My evaluation of the 70's in general--not for me personally--is mostly based on looking back and seeing the changes over time. There is a distinct cultural change that takes place at the end of the 70's. When the 80's hit is the time when the American culture became more openly materialistic. American Express's slogan at the time was "Acquire it!" Having the right car and a certain size house drew the lines between being successful/socially acceptable and not. Designer clothing and then designer everything else came into the culture where it did not exist before (although, this was led off by designer jeans starting in the late 1970's). Sneakers, which were a cheap shoe worn by kids in gym class starting selling for $50 and up and you had to have the "right" ones to be cool. People didn't go "jogging" until the 1980's and that set off the whole expensive, name-brand exercise-clothing fad. BMWs were not a status symbol until the 80's. None of that existed before the 80's in mainstream America.

I personally think there is an upside to this recession in that regard. For so long now people have felt it necessary to have big houses, fancy cars, the "right" clothes and a lot of other crap that really should not matter. Maybe it's time to relearn that lesson.
Yeah shows like the Brady Bunch captured the simplistic 'innocence' of the pre -corporate greed 80s. When McDonald's was considered a proper restaurant, when kids were content with having rocks as pets lol.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah shows like the Brady Bunch captured the simplistic 'innocence' of the pre -corporate greed 80s. When McDonald's was considered a proper restaurant, when kids were content with having rocks as pets lol.
LOL!

Alas, our town had a Burger King. We didn't go to McDonald's.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:48 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
The Brady's possessed family values, McDonald's was not considered a proper restaurant and I didn't know anyone who bought the rock. I guess that you had to be 'there'.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:47 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,938 times
Quote:
I had been thinking about this same idea recently and what came to mind was the Buddhist (I think) concept of impermanence. Everything is constantly changing and accepting that is part of enlightenment, I guess. Perhaps an awareness of the change and the passing of time is a sign of maturity.
Hmm... I was just looking up online at related words/concepts (because I had a feeling that there was some similar foreign language phrase or word) and I found on wikipedia this Japanese word/term "Mono no aware" which seems to describe to a tee, the feeling I get sometimes.
Mono no aware (物の哀れ[SIZE=1]?[/SIZE]), literally "the pathos of things", also translated as "an empathy toward things", or "a sensitivity to ephemera", is a Japanese term used to describe the awareness of impermanence (無常, mujō[SIZE=1]?[/SIZE]), or the transience of things, and a gentle sadness (or wistfulness) at their passing.

This verbal description, if I'm getting the gist of it correctly (as I don't speak Japanese or anything), seems to be rather fitting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing