Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 04:07 PM

588 posts, read 959,633 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I am almost done with my first attempt at writing a book. The title is still up in the air, but it's about a biracial girl who has a difficult time dating. Her father is white and her mother is black. Although she's attracted to and gets along with both races, she's rejected by the parents and friends of the men in her life. On the one hand, she's not "black enough"; on the other hand, she's "too black". She doesn't want to pick a side and considers herself biracial. However, she finds society doesn't exactly feel the same way, with both Caucasians and African-Americans judging her behavior and appearance.
I'd love to get some feedback on the subject matter of my book. Although controversial (I'm sure!), I hope this fiction novel portrays an ordinary person trying to be herself as she encounters the prejudices and stereotyping still alive in 2012. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 06:15 PM

88,862 posts, read 85,293,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia25 View Post
Hi everyone I am almost done with my first attempt at writing a book. The title is still up in the air, but it's about a biracial girl who has a difficult time dating. Her father is white and her mother is black. Although she's attracted to and gets along with both races, she's rejected by the parents and friends of the men in her life. On the one hand, she's not "black enough"; on the other hand, she's "too black". She doesn't want to pick a side and considers herself biracial. However, she finds society doesn't exactly feel the same way, with both Caucasians and African-Americans judging her behavior and appearance.
I'd love to get some feedback on the subject matter of my book. Although controversial (I'm sure!), I hope this fiction novel portrays an ordinary person trying to be herself as she encounters the prejudices and stereotyping still alive in 2012. Thanks!
I like the premise. It sounds like a relevant topic for today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing