Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 02:55 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times

Advertisements

This deals with texting and emails primarily, but there are a few abbreviations that are so annoying:

U-Just write the word you.
4-Unless it's the number write the word for. Three letters, I think it can be handled.
2-See above.
K-The worst one. I can forgive writing the abbreviation Ok, but honestly, are we so lazy we can't even type in the letter o?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 06:37 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
The problem is, a lot of people who use txt rather than English can't spell very well. They don't see a problem using abbreviations, because anything else would put their deficiencies on display.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:53 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
This deals with texting and emails primarily, but there are a few abbreviations that are so annoying:

4-Unless it's the number write the word for. Three letters, I think it can be handled.
2-See above.
K-The worst one. I can forgive writing the abbreviation Ok, but honestly, are we so lazy we can't even type in the letter o?
It drives me nuts as well. What also bugs me is when people refuse to use any capital letters or punctuation.

I can understand the shortcuts when it comes to texting, but hate to see them in email messages and posts on these fora.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:12 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I know a teacher who says her kid use this shorthand in school writing, reports, etc. And yes, it drives her nuts.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:02 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
It drives me nuts as well. What also bugs me is when people refuse to use any capital letters or punctuation.

I can understand the shortcuts when it comes to texting, but hate to see them in email messages and posts on these fora.
Same here. I just skip over posts like that. If they have something of worth to say, they'd better say it in a readable format. No capitalization or punctuation IS nothing but laziness. You can't blame that on a learning disability.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:41 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,045,122 times
I've had "discussions" with people about this issue in business. Frankly, the concern I have is the lack of professionalism that it shows, not only on the part of the employee, but the disrespect it shows to the client. In my mind, there is a significant difference between texting someone where the maximum number of characters in 140 and writing an e-mail to someone.

A similar situation arises with the use of Twitter. While I understand the character limit and recognize that abbreviations are needed from time to time, there are some company Twitter accounts whose managers leave me shaking my head because of the bad grammar, spelling, and punctuation that is sent out on the TwitterFeed. Honestly, there have been a number of times where I have used ellipses to string together several tweets so my followers recognize the tweets are to be taken as a group. A few times I've found it better to use a service like Twitlonger just because the extra few characters are worth it. Likewise, there are times where I determine that a blog post is better to convey the ideas, specifically because it allows me great freedom to manage the content without confusing my followers or those who may read the comments within the hashtag.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:26 PM

55 posts, read 182,681 times
I have received job applications from young teens with lols, smiley faces, and internet abbreviations ("I can't work Tuesdays b/c I'm @ soccer.") While I consider misspellings, bad grammar, and lack of capitalization annoying, it becomes a serious problem when kids get so used to communication this way that they can't turn it off and write a professional letter without relying on textspeak.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:17 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
I've had "discussions" with people about this issue in business. Frankly, the concern I have is the lack of professionalism that it shows, not only on the part of the employee, but the disrespect it shows to the client. In my mind, there is a significant difference between texting someone where the maximum number of characters in 140 and writing an e-mail to someone.

A similar situation arises with the use of Twitter. While I understand the character limit and recognize that abbreviations are needed from time to time, there are some company Twitter accounts whose managers leave me shaking my head because of the bad grammar, spelling, and punctuation that is sent out on the TwitterFeed. Honestly, there have been a number of times where I have used ellipses to string together several tweets so my followers recognize the tweets are to be taken as a group. A few times I've found it better to use a service like Twitlonger just because the extra few characters are worth it. Likewise, there are times where I determine that a blog post is better to convey the ideas, specifically because it allows me great freedom to manage the content without confusing my followers or those who may read the comments within the hashtag.
I'm trying to absorb the concept that there are such things as "company Twitter accounts".

Old 01-16-2012, 08:37 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
The only acceptable use of '4, u, k, @' or any other short-hand is when text messaging.

That people use them to type on a computer keyboard shows laziness or that they are extremely slow typists.

There was none of that crap when I was a kid growing up. How things have changed in the last 10 years!

Old 02-18-2012, 02:40 AM

662 posts, read 1,282,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post

2-See above.
I don't agree. Texting is extremely cumbersome. I think "K" is awful, but "U" is useful. I also think that contrary to some, abbreviation tends to be used by those fastest and more experienced at texting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing