Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 12:27 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,446,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Having trained many young people in the workplace, and having performed tech support for well-educated and wealthy folks, I question how much in language is "self-explanatory." The more I learn about the subtleties and nuances of language the more I realize just how much more there is to be learned.

Perhaps your brother is a dictionary.
No, he isn't a dictionary. His ego tells him he is smarter than he is, which is not saying he's dumb. I also enjoy learning about the subtleties and nuances of many things; however, I don't assume strangers do not already know what I've learned. That is the crux of what I'm saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 11:54 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Although I get an overall sense of your annoyance with those actions, I find that I can't target it closely enough to intelligently respond to your question without a couple of concrete examples. He could be externalizing his own inner process and seeking confirmation, he could be exceedingly cautious that he isn't misunderstood, he could be nervous, he could be intentionally condescending, he could be asserting dominance, he could have a number of other things going on. Since it takes two or more to have conversation, the reactions of others play a part as well.

However, this has little to do with cake and/or frosting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing