Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 12:51 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,443,790 times

Advertisements

I live in Illinois. Not Chicago, the other part.

A few years ago I moved several hours away from my hometown to a slightly more rural area. Now, I understand that every place has regionalisms, and that rural folks aren't necessarily as concerned with "proper" English as some others might be, and I will be the first one to admit that I drop my g's and say "gonna" sometimes.

However, this is an area that is noted for its excellent school systems, and there are at least 5 colleges within a 45 minute driving distance. Yet every day I work with people who say "I seen" or "I had went," I have worked with teachers and teaching assistants who can barely string together a grammatically correct, complete sentence. On every sale site I see: rod iron, chester drawers, for sell. The first time I saw "chester drawers" I thought it was a joke!

It's beginning to drive me a little bit crazy. I don't understand why seemingly intelligent, well educated people speak and write this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 09:59 AM

12,527 posts, read 17,558,364 times
I thought Pittsburgh was the center of "I seen".

Old 06-10-2017, 10:12 AM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I've been told that Pittsburgh is the center of "needs replaced", but they might also favor "I seen".

Old 06-10-2017, 10:41 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,139,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
It's beginning to drive me a little bit crazy. I don't understand why seemingly intelligent, well educated people speak and write this way.
I think it's possible they don't give a damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I've been told that Pittsburgh is the center of "needs replaced", but they might also favor "I seen".
Please, just for me, move that period inside the quotes? (Ditto the comma.) Pretty please?

Unless it was intentional of course, in which case it may have been a bit too sublime.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:40 AM

88,625 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

Please, just for me, move that period inside the quotes? (Ditto the comma.) Pretty please?

Unless it was intentional of course, in which case it may have been a bit too sublime.
I guessed you missed the conversation about the punctuation inside/outside quotes. Retriever put the period exactly where he wanted it, and I would do the same.

Periods go outside of quotes that only apply to part of a sentence, and commas go outside of quotes that only apply to part of the phrase. It is logical, and it is done that way in other English-language countries. It is the way I learned in secretarial school, and trust me, if you had a comma out of place, your letter was "unmailable" and didn't count toward your grade.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:49 PM

26,748 posts, read 26,850,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Periods go outside of quotes that only apply to part of a sentence, and commas go outside of quotes that only apply to part of the phrase. It is logical, and....
Interesting. The below is what I learned.

Though not necessarily logical, the American rules for multiple punctuation with quotation marks are firmly established. (See here for a brief explanation of the British style.)

Commas and periods that are part of the overall sentence go inside the quotation marks, even though they aren’t part of the original quotation.

Correct: “The best investments today,” according to Smith, “are commodities and emerging-market stocks.”

Incorrect: “The best investments today”, according to Smith, “are commodities and emerging-market stocks”.

(The original text quoted above is as follows: “The best investments today are commodities and emerging-market stocks, not domestic stocks and bonds.”)

Quotation marks -- The Punctuation Guide

Old 06-11-2017, 01:00 PM

4,614 posts, read 3,307,687 times
I have to restrain myself on this forum - it's too tempting to write a post to everyone correcting their grammar, and never mind the spelling. I'd probably get myself banned before too long.

About spelling, I blame the texting; no one spells anymore. Worst, however, is the "there, their, they're," "its and it's," and other combinations like this. Can hardly keep from becoming another grammar Natzi on this forum, but don't think it'd be too appreciated by the recipients! (I'm with Retriever on the punctuation)

Old 06-11-2017, 01:21 PM

12,855 posts, read 9,071,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Interesting. The below is what I learned.

Though not necessarily logical, the American rules for multiple punctuation with quotation marks are firmly established. (See here for a brief explanation of the British style.)

Commas and periods that are part of the overall sentence go inside the quotation marks, even though they aren’t part of the original quotation.

Correct: “The best investments today,” according to Smith, “are commodities and emerging-market stocks.”

Incorrect: “The best investments today”, according to Smith, “are commodities and emerging-market stocks”.

(The original text quoted above is as follows: “The best investments today are commodities and emerging-market stocks, not domestic stocks and bonds.”)

Quotation marks -- The Punctuation Guide

That's one of the many things that has always bothered me when writing documents -- the standard rules I was taught just don't make logical sense. I agree it makes more sense outside the quotation mark, but the rules I had beaten into me say inside.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:32 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,443,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Yes, it's possible. But I simply cannot understand the mindset of not caring if you sound uneducated or unintelligent, especially when dealing with the public.

As far as (American) teachers are concerned, they should not be allowed to teach if they do not have a firm grasp of (American) English word usage, grammar, and spelling. They are teachers!

Old 06-11-2017, 02:47 PM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
As far as (American) teachers are concerned, they should not be allowed to teach if they do not have a firm grasp of (American) English word usage, grammar, and spelling. They are teachers!
When my mother graduated from college, in the early '30s, she had to prepare for the oral portion of the teacher certification exam by obtaining a dictionary that had been published in England. Back in those days, you could not be certified to teach in NY state unless you affected a British pronunciation for spoken words. In order to pass that portion of the certification exam, you had to use pronunciations such as "la-BOR-a-tree" instead of "laboratory", "con-TROV-ersy" instead of "controversy", "al-U-minium" instead of "aluminum", etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing