Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 07:32 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I just write fiction.

I begin with 'mining' an idea; I use 100-page, college ruled theme books, writing longhand in them with a fountain pen, to sketch out the plot, explore alternative endings and such, and use another book to develop my cast of characters.

Once I have a rough idea hammered out, I begin to use other theme books for the chapters. 100 pages is usually enough to contain 2-3 chapters.

Once the entire book is sketched out on paper, I then turn to the computer and turn it all to digital type, using Scrivener to compose in.
Scrivener is a dedicated creative writing software program that I found a lot more useful than Word or other word-processing software, and it really works well for me.

I avoid trying to edit anything until everything I've written in longhand is in the computer, but once that's complete, I'll go back and begin pruning out the junk and re-writing and editing. And once complete, I save it to a thumb drive, then print it out in manuscript form.

I stash the manuscript sheets in a plastic storage box I can pack around. The box's lid often serves as a desk top to write on, and the box gets packed around a fair bit, as I like to hit the road after being house-bound while working on the heavy stuff, so the editing sometimes takes place in a motel room, a friend's home, or some Starbuck's. I don't use a laptop, although I keep thinking about buying one.

Once printed and in editing, I revise and edit longhand using pens with different colored inks in them. The colors tell me what to lose, add, or change on the computer.

Then back to the computer and do it again. Rinse and repeat until I have it as good as I think it will get. I try to get it right in one revision, but as often as not, it takes 2. Sometimes 3.

I often carry a camera along when I'm on the road to take pictures of scenes that could help me out, and I sometimes collect research materials on the net, on paper, or whatever. These are all scanned and stored in Scrivener as quick references.
Some of the photos may not have much that can be used directly, but may have colors, atmosphere, or a mood I want to try to capture in words.

If it's not digital, all that stuff goes in envelopes that are put into the manuscript box. The box can get pretty cluttered, and I have 6, in case I need a spare, or if I'm working on more than one project at a time.

When it's all done, I empty the box, discard all the unneeded junk, and save the rest in large storage envelopes. The theme books are all strapped together and tied to their correct envelope separately. One is always an index, and everything is numbered.

All the photo scans are put on thumb drives or just stay on my computer for easy future access.

It's all very slow. I find I go in fits and spurts; I'll think about things for a very long time, and then it all goes down in a rush, and then repeated. I often wish I was one of those writers who sticks to a strict routine, but I just can't do it until I have a pretty firm mental picture first. Road trips always give me plenty of time to think, as do dog walks, raking the yard, etc.

Even when I'm hard at work, I take frequent breaks. I play my banjo a lot during those breaks, as it's a way to keep my creative juices flowing. The banjo often comes out when I hit a block.

But when I'm writing, I usually prefer silence. Once in a while I might put on some music, but that's pretty seldom. I don't like to any steady distraction when writing.

You sure sound like an interesting guy. I hope you put your thumb drives in a fireproof box - you never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 09:46 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
A surprising number of very successful authors played musical instruments.
It really doesn't matter what instrument it is; the banjo was my first, and though I also play the guitar and some others, I feel most at home on the banjo. I've been playing 55 years now, and I don't have to concentrate nearly as hard playing the banjo as when I'm writing.

The thing about any instrument is they offer a chance for a writer to stand up, move around some, and exercise the hands and fingers in a different way.
I often stroll around on the deck or in the house while playing, and while I'm playing, I'm still thinking about the writing.
Playing music still keeps the mental engine going at full power, but the gears get some needed shifting. One gear gets to slack off while another is engaged for a while.

I've thought of writing a story that includes the banjo off and on, but haven't found the right one yet.

It has a very rich history, for sure. It's also an instrument that seems to choose its own; most folks who buy one never learn how to play it, but for those who stick with it, it becomes very close to an addiction.
To get into a similar mood, washing dishes works for me. Another factor might be gazing out into the yard as I wash.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:33 AM

1,831 posts, read 1,432,520 times
The average life span of a thumb drive is only about 18 months, so while I use one for storage (and change it out often), I also print out my work. Having those hard copies has saved me from many an electronic glitch...

When I get stuck, I'm one of those musicians. Depending on mood, I play the piano, field snare, guitar, banjo, Irish whistle, hammered dulcimer, recorder, or my grandfather's violin. If I had the room, I'd add a marimba or vibraphone or both.

Music relaxes my body. The mind follows. And then I can write some more...

My writers' group had an interesting exercise yesterday. We received sheets of paper with an opening sentence or two on widely different subjects. We wrote for about five minutes, then passed the sheet to the next person, who continued the story, then to a third person, who finished the story. They were quite interesting.

But most of the comments on my side of the room were on my writing. Yes, I used my trusty fountain pen -- in green ink. My handwriting is actually based on Irish copperplate calligraphy, since otherwise it's illegible. They were rather taken with the presentation, rather than the story. Good times....

Old 11-03-2017, 09:02 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
To get into a similar mood, washing dishes works for me. Another factor might be gazing out into the yard as I wash.
I think any alternate activity is as much a writer's tool as any other. Any activity that activates the body and allows the mind to stay on the task of creative writing can serve as a tool to be used.

It's an odd occupation/avocation for sure. There seems to be nothing standardized in it at all; each person's approach is different in some way than another's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing