Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 02:43 PM

270 posts, read 282,521 times

Advertisements

Are they really doing this to try to help the person or is it to make themselves feel better because they can finally feel accomplished at feeling smarter than other people.

I just made a thread called "yay or nay" and someone repped me and said it's yea not yay.

It's actually funny because before I made that thread I googled yay or nay and yea did come up, but it is common for people to say yay like it sounds in the saying. I thought id just keep it at yay because why does it matter, people will know what I'm talking about......then I got that rep.

Should I appreciate the corrections.....yay or nay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 03:32 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
I always appreciate the corrections. If I am corrected, it means either that I devoted too little attention to proof-reading or that I have something to learn about the English language. In the first case, I appreciate the reminder, and in the second case I appreciate the learning opportunity.

Please discard the over-sensitive, over-reactive attitude.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:43 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,749,428 times
I can take correction or leave it. Just don't appreciate being attacked. I was spelling avocado wrong and now I never do. Now that difficult spelling of diarrhea ....

OP: Spell things the way you want..in todays' world and the texting stuff, it's amazing people can even spell. I don't text or do FB...

Old 11-18-2017, 03:59 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
Are they really doing this to try to help the person or is it to make themselves feel better because they can finally feel accomplished at feeling smarter than other people.

Neither. I do it because, quite often, a poster's message is incomprehensible because of grammar and syntax errors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
I just made a thread called "yay or nay" and someone repped me and said it's yea not yay.

It's actually funny because before I made that thread I googled yay or nay and yea did come up, but it is common for people to say yay like it sounds in the saying. I thought id just keep it at yay because why does it matter, people will know what I'm talking about......then I got that rep.

Should I appreciate the corrections.....yay or nay?

I wouldn't have corrected that one. Yay is a cheer that signifies approval. Yea is a vote that signifies approval. As far as I am concerned, either would be acceptable.

However, I wouldn't make a federal case out of it.

Just don't ever write VIN Number or PIN Number because I will jump on you for that.

VIN = Vehicle Identification Number
PIN = Personal Identification Number

Writing or saying number after number is the epitome of ignorance.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:06 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,812 times
NOT trying to help. IMHO.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I think a lot of the time it occurs, it occurs in response to the person who has composed the posts full or errors while writing a critical response to someone else, oftentimes questioning their intellect.

It's just one of those "glass houses" things. If you're going to rail against someone's intelligence, it's best to do so without entire missives rife with grammatical, spelling, and punctuation errors.

As somebody who is no stranger to the odd typo, I really don't have a vested interest in playing the "Nyah, nyanah, boo, boo, you spelled something wrong!" game, but I sure as heck WILL point it out, if the person is using their error-filled post to question someone else's intelligence, communication ability, credibility, etc. Sorry, but you'd think that if you're gonna call somebody else out, you'd make sure your own house is in order, you know?

Somebody with typos, who isn't being an ass? Who cares?

But, in response to you question, much of the time that some random person corrects you, it's not to benefit you in any way. Teachers and editors correct grammar to be helpful, because they have a vested interest in you learning/doing something correctly. Anybody else is just being smug, or making a point, most likely.

Also, it's really funny to me when people rep one another to critique them. I'm guessing they do it because it's the only way they can make anonymous digs. But it's funny to me, because, hey, rep point! Gee, you showed me!

Old 11-18-2017, 04:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post

Just don't ever write VIN Number or PIN Number because I will jump on you for that.

VIN = Vehicle Identification Number
PIN = Personal Identification Number

Writing or saying number after number is the epitome of ignorance.
I have to assume you never refer to anything as an ATM machine, either.

If somebody has written something that is rendered truly incomprehensible, I'm just going to say, "I don't understand what you're saying/asking," I'm not going to go through line by line and correct them.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:19 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,628 posts, read 17,961,729 times
I don't know about whether knowing grammar indicates someone is more intelligent - it just means they know correct grammar. Knowing the "rules" of things is just education, not ability IMHO.

I've stopped correcting grammar or spelling online because people don't appreciate it. If I'm using the wrong word/spelling, I really do appreciate it when someone points it out.

But not everybody's like that.

It does bother me, really, to read "my boyfriend and me are trying to get pregnant", or "Would you like to go to the lake with Jim and I"?

Old 11-18-2017, 05:20 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Also, it's really funny to me when people rep one another to critique them. I'm guessing they do it because it's the only way they can make anonymous digs. But it's funny to me, because, hey, rep point! Gee, you showed me!
I think sending the correction in a rep is a gentle way to do it. It makes the point without calling the poster out in the thread.

I have not done that myself but I have sent DMs to people suggesting the correction.

Mostly I just post in the thread in the writing forum about errors, where the poster making the mistake is anonymous. I do not count typos.

I agree that when a poster is corrected within a thread it's often because the poster making the mistake has chided another poster for something. Sometimes it's because the mistake is actually funny in the context of the thread.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:25 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
I'm a "corrector."

I just can't stand that some people do not have common spelling or grammatical training, and that they apparently don't care.

(I basically wonder HOW they got through school without mastering certain basic elements of style, and why spelling is so difficult for them.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing