Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2017, 01:27 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,097,787 times

Advertisements

For a screenplay, I am writing, basically there is a crime that goes wrong and the gang of villains, ends up chasing down one of their own, who they do not trust anymore and want to stop him from risk of talking.

During the chase, a cop on patrol (the protagonist), sees the chase happening and decides to intervene and finds out what's happening.

This is the opening scene of the story, and what happens during this, sets off the remaining plot to come.

However, I am undecided on how I should introduce the protagonist. Should I thrust him into the action write away, like the cop in this movie scene, at 1:02 into the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvWY9pYLf9g&t=74s

In that scene the cop, although not the protagonist, is thrust right into the action without any prior dialogue or any prior time to his character.

Or I could introduce the main character, in a way that gives him some dialogue and background first, such as this scene, before being thrust into the action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fdPX1sjgG0

But what do you think is better?

Even if he is thrust into the action without any background to the character, in the opening scene, we still get a lot of background introduced later, after the action event has settled down.

And if I were to have a longer scene to introduce him it would disrupt the chase. Or is having a background introduce beforehand necessary for any reason at this point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 07:16 AM

88,946 posts, read 85,475,713 times
I like "write away".

Introduce him with action and do backstory later.

I had picked up this book, Hooked:

https://www.amazon.com/Hooked-Write-.../dp/1582974578

and after reading the first part of it, I re-wrote my whole first chapter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing