Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 02:36 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Bird View Post

2- According to the example you gave above, I understand that you use "snapped" as a verb, so if I want to use it as "adjective", what can I say?
"after years of abuse,she snapped and shot her husband"
, so she is (........). What's the the adjective that gives the same meaning?
I don't know that there is an adjective that has the same meaning. You might say someone "burst into tears" but you wouldn't say that they are "a burst." "Snapped" is the same kind of expression. It's just a verb.

Quote:
3- Doest it always come with negative actions?
Can I say, for instance, "That guy snapped and quit smoking."?

Thank you very much fleetiebelle
Snapped usually refers to something that happened quickly and perhaps aggressively. You could probably say that someone snapped and quit smoking, but that would depend on context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 05:15 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
"Snapped" as it's being discussed here comes from a metaphor - imagine a person hanging by a thread. If & when the thread snaps (breaks), the person falls. Someone who's under stress for a long time can come to feel that they are just barely able to maintain their composure - like their sanity is hanging by a thread. When the "thread" snaps (breaks), the person loses their composure and does something crazy.

"Snapped" is also the past tense of the verb "to snap", meaning to speak quickly and angrily.

"A snap" is usually used to refer to something that's easy - as quick and easy as snapping your fingers.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:53 PM

859 posts, read 705,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't know that there is an adjective that has the same meaning. You might say someone "burst into tears" but you wouldn't say that they are "a burst." "Snapped" is the same kind of expression. It's just a verb.

Snapped usually refers to something that happened quickly and perhaps aggressively. You could probably say that someone snapped and quit smoking, but that would depend on context.
Understood!

Thanks a lot fleetiebelle for your answer.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
"Snapped" as it's being discussed here comes from a metaphor - imagine a person hanging by a thread. If & when the thread snaps (breaks), the person falls. Someone who's under stress for a long time can come to feel that they are just barely able to maintain their composure - like their sanity is hanging by a thread. When the "thread" snaps (breaks), the person loses their composure and does something crazy.

"Snapped" is also the past tense of the verb "to snap", meaning to speak quickly and angrily.

"A snap" is usually used to refer to something that's easy - as quick and easy as snapping your fingers.
I understand it well with your example.

Thanks a lot Rob Allen for your clarification

Old 12-28-2018, 03:55 AM

Next word --------

the adverb " Allegedly "

When someone do something allegedly.

When I use a translator, I understand the meaning well, we use such a word a lot at almost the same positions, when I looked at the dictionary, my understanding to it is also right, I just want to make sure of my understanding to the usage of this word in English as an adverb.

Ex:

The suspect allegedly broke into his home.

Who alleged here? The others NOT the suspect, right?

Thanks

Old 12-28-2018, 10:18 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,855 times
Quote:
Next word --------

the adverb " Allegedly "

When someone do something allegedly.

When I use a translator, I understand the meaning well, we use such a word a lot at almost the same positions, when I looked at the dictionary, my understanding to it is also right, I just want to make sure of my understanding to the usage of this word in English as an adverb.

Ex:

The suspect allegedly broke into his home.

Who alleged here? The others NOT the suspect, right?

Thanks

No, it's the suspect. Innocent until proven guilty, the suspect can only be alleged to break into someone else's home.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:43 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Roughly speaking, allege is used to mean accused of. allege is a legal term used to describe someone who has been charged with a crime, but who is innocent until proved guilty. It has passed into popular usage to mean someone who has possibly done something, usually but not always, bad.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
No, it's the suspect. Innocent until proven guilty, the suspect can only be alleged to break into someone else's home.
So, I may not understand it

Look at this statement you used: "the suspect can only be alleged to break into someone else's home"
I understand it well.
I can also say: "The suspect is alleged by neighbors to break into someone else's home."
Or
"The suspect is alleged to break into someone else's home."
_________

I don't know if you can understand me as I mean, but take, for instance, using any other adverb such as: certainly, quickly...etc.

She is walking quickly. (The speaker (I), the one who says that).
The man certainly broke into his home. (The speaker also is the one who says that)

So
The man allegedly broke into his home.
I understand it as (others alleged him with doing something or he is alleged by others)

-Is this what you also meant?

Thank you Deelighted

Old 12-28-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Roughly speaking, allege is used to mean accused of. allege is a legal term used to describe someone who has been charged with a crime, but who is innocent until proved guilty. It has passed into popular usage to mean someone who has possibly done something, usually but not always, bad.
We use such a meaning a lot in my language, but another word, of course, when I read the meaning you provided I understand it, the word itself is not new to me, but when it comes to its meaning in English as an adverb, I'm not really sure of my understanding.

Can you give me a synonymous to this word but as (an adverb)?

Thank you silibran

Old 12-28-2018, 01:09 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,855 times
Quote:
I don't know if you can understand me as I mean, but take, for instance, using any other adverb such as: certainly, quickly...etc.

She is walking quickly. (The speaker (I), the one who says that).
The man certainly broke into his home. (The speaker also is the one who says that)

It would not be proper to use certainly -- unless it is already a proven fact (suspect caught on video tape for instance).

Quote:
So
The man allegedly broke into his home.
I understand it as (others alleged him with doing something or he is alleged by others)

-Is this what you also meant?

Thank you Deelighted

Yes that is exactly what I meant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing