Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 03:13 PM

11,170 posts, read 6,758,590 times

Advertisements

I'm an avid reader (hence I know the above expression, lol) but I am SO SICK of fiction novels using the name Jake, or Jack for the main male character. Did this start with Jack Reacher?

And invariably they are Special Forces, Army Rangers or Navy Seals, and are now in special security work or PI biz.

Do authors just copycat successful novels? I wish for some originality! Maybe back to lawyers, something!

Anyone else notice this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 10:37 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,827,174 times
OMFG, you just made my... week, at least.

In the late 1980s or so, I hung out on most of the sf forums and knew many of the currently popular authors well. I finally blew up and founded the There Are Too Many Characters Named Jake in Science Fiction League and ran my rant around in circles for quite a while. I got a lot of agreement from the fans and readers, and the authors reacted in various ways.

A couple formally joined the TATMCNJSFL.

One published a story with two characters named Jake.

One used my name for a character and killed him off in an absurd manner two pages later. Maybe even at the hands of, or due to the actions of, a Jake.

There's just something about the name, I think, that sits at the intersection of the Venn diagram for likable, masculine, sensitive, intelligent, trustworthy and believable characters.

That there are still too many of them means I failed. Failed, I tell you. Anyway, I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter and wish you success...

Old 07-15-2018, 12:04 PM

4,206 posts, read 3,438,985 times
Relax, Bo. Everything's Jakeloo.

Old 07-15-2018, 12:52 PM

88,982 posts, read 85,515,476 times
It seems to have come with the re-emerging of the name as popular.

My grandfather, born in 1905, was named Jacob/Jake, as was my uncle, born in the 1930s. When the name suddenly became popular again in the 1980s and 1990s, we thought it was amusing that all these people were naming their babies this "old man name".

My late Uncle Jake now has a teenage grandson with the same name.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:02 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,827,174 times
My ex had a theory - largely supported by data - that there are really only about 12 men's names. In doing some recent genealogy work, I found an almost unbroken string of John/Jonathans, only to realize I had the wrong starting brother. The correct one's descendants, to me, were long strings of Williams.

The only good thing was that papa of both had one of the most unusual names in English heritage. Almost unique.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:50 PM

29,250 posts, read 22,526,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
My ex had a theory - largely supported by data - that there are really only about 12 men's names. In doing some recent genealogy work, I found an almost unbroken string of John/Jonathans, only to realize I had the wrong starting brother. The correct one's descendants, to me, were long strings of Williams.

The only good thing was that papa of both had one of the most unusual names in English heritage. Almost unique.
Some unusual names in the English tradition are probably best laid peacefully at rest.

Oliver Cromwell, the great military and civil leader of the British Puritan reformation, had a couple of generals in his army whose last name was Barebone.
One's full name was Jesus Christ Our Lord and Savior Barebone, and the other was named Praise God Barebone.

It is said that Praise God's baptismal name, which is usually the name a person goes by for life, was Unless-Jesus-Christ-Had-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned Barebone.

I think that's an old excess that doesn't bear repeating through the generations. I can't help but wonder what their nicknames were.

Their last name was eventually shortened to Barbon, and the family still exists under it.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:52 PM

29,798 posts, read 34,617,499 times
Jack/Jake are short manly names. It evokes a certain image--you wouldn't expect a cowboy named Nigel. It kind of like how in books and movies cute girls are usually named something like Kate or Annie or Lucy.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:20 PM

26,902 posts, read 27,102,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Did this start with Jack Reacher?
It probably started long before Lee Child came up with that name in the mid-1990s . Possibly back to the early 1950s with Ian Fleming?

Old 07-15-2018, 10:59 PM

88,982 posts, read 85,515,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post

I have two brothers-in-law named Bill, and my niece's husband is also a Bill.

Never dated one, but back when I was doing the match.com thing, I met Bob after Bob after Bob. It got to be funny after a while. Ended up for a while with a Rob.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:53 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,745,159 times
In the first novel I wrote (unpublished), I named my protagonist Jack Anderson. I did so because I wanted to emphasize his everyman status amid an exceptional situation. Jack is a very generic American forename, and I chose it for that reason. Anderson struck me as the perfectly generic surname for the heavily-Scandinavian upper Midwest, the main character being from Minnesota and that being the place where almost all of the story takes place.

I suppose I could have name him Ezekiel Q. Superstar. That would certainly have been original. But since Jack Anderson suited the story, that's what I chose.

By the way, I put a great deal of consideration into the names of my characters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing