Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 06:07 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The words are interchangeable in such context.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/bring

The event is in the future. The action of movement will be completed in either case. Once the car is at the dealer, it has been taken there. That cannot be true until someone takes it. It also has been brought there, which couldn't have happened unless someone took the effort to bring it.

Subtly, there is an historic implication of pulling or leading with "bring" and pushing of a passive load with take. Farmers bring the cows home for milking, and take a sick animal to a vet. If you grew up in a farm family, you would bring a new car home from the dealer, and take it to the shop for repair.

Out of curiosity, when you are saying goodbyes, how do you parse "Take care" as an affectionate parting?
I find Harry's answer to be the most correct. It would seen that such a crossover of possible usage predates modern times, based on a glance at the etymology of "bring": https://www.etymonline.com/word/bring

If I recall, while growing up, I had some English teachers who insisted that one usage was proper. However, it would seem to me that would have been a case where the teacher was attempting to influence the use of language in a manner they preferred.

On the other hand, one can certainly use either word in a manner contrary to the "here-there -- there-here" direction. This could sound quite colloquial, in a common or vulgar manner, and jarring to other's ears. The use of "Y'all" as a class marker is similar, and more pronounced. It is less incorrect usage than it is a cultural or class marker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 07:23 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,705 times
Quote:
The words are interchangeable in such context.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/bring

The event is in the future. The action of movement will be completed in either case. Once the car is at the dealer, it has been taken there. That cannot be true until someone takes it. It also has been brought there, which couldn't have happened unless someone took the effort to bring it.

Subtly, there is an historic implication of pulling or leading with "bring" and pushing of a passive load with take. Farmers bring the cows home for milking, and take a sick animal to a vet. If you grew up in a farm family, you would bring a new car home from the dealer, and take it to the shop for repair.

Out of curiosity, when you are saying goodbyes, how do you parse "Take care" as an affectionate parting?
The OP's point, if I'm not mistaken, is that its "incorrect" usage for a person to say "I'm going to bring my car to the shop for repair." If you are saying that to your buddy standing next to you, it is incorrect usage. You should be saying "I'm going to take my car to the shop." On the other hand, if you are calling up the shop and speaking to the owner on the phone, it is correct usage (or would be if you said "I'm going to bring in my car to the shop for repair.") This all seems very esoteric I know, but when one grows up with this usage it is second nature, and grating in misuse.

Its not simply a matter of future tense, its also to do with the relative position of the bringer/taker.

This link helps to explain:
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/usage/bring-or-take

As I've said above though - we all know what is meant when someone uses bring in place of take.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:53 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
BYOB - Bring your own booze

As an instruction or imperative, bring fits. (Object being moved gets closer)

I will take my tequila (away from my bar)
I will bring my tequila (to the party)

Take that noise outside. (Object being moved goes away from speaker)

I am disgusted with my car. I am going to take it to the junkyard. (Moves it away)
I love my car. I am going to bring it with me when I move. (Moves it closer)

While you can infer the attitude of the person doing the moving by how they use take or bring, both are generally correct. The person giving a request has less latitude.

Then there are the folks who say "Take and bring me that ink pen."

Old 08-31-2018, 11:59 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I always remembered that bring = toward something and take = away from something.

I take the food from home and bring it to the party.
No. You take the food to the party, and the host of the party has you bring the food to him.

That's how I understand it, anyway.

Then there was my friend who used to say "I brang my son to school this morning."

Old 08-31-2018, 12:56 PM

12,987 posts, read 9,510,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No. You take the food to the party, and the host of the party has you bring the food to him.

Then there was my friend who used to say "I brang my son to school this morning."
Correct.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:57 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I second-guessed myself and wanted to make sure, and it seems that all the grammar websites I can find back up my reasoning. Bring to a destination. Take from a source.

Take from home and bring to the party. Take from the table and bring to the host. Take from the host and bring it back to your seat. Wonder why everyone's passing the food around so much.

I suppose colloquialisms can change the usual way though, as colloquialisms are wont to do.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:24 PM

1,183 posts, read 708,705 times
Quote:
BYOB - Bring your own booze

As an instruction or imperative, bring fits. (Object being moved gets closer)

I will take my tequila (away from my bar)
I will bring my tequila (to the party)

Take that noise outside. (Object being moved goes away from speaker)

I am disgusted with my car. I am going to take it to the junkyard. (Moves it away)
I love my car. I am going to bring it with me when I move. (Moves it closer)

While you can infer the attitude of the person doing the moving by how they use take or bring, both are generally correct. The person giving a request has less latitude.

Then there are the folks who say "Take and bring me that ink pen."

Right - its relative positional - they are not simply interchangeable as all your examples show.

That last quote is a new one to me. I like it tho.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:32 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Sorry - double post

Last edited by reneeh63; 08-31-2018 at 03:18 PM..

Old 08-31-2018, 03:17 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
So one way to remember it is "Bring it [on]!" (while gesturing toward yourself like a ninja fighter) and "Take this job and shove it!"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing