Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 02:53 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,202,036 times

Advertisements

I don't know where else to throw this question... but isn't/wasn't COVID either a brand name or a technology name in broadcast video?

Trying to search for this now is like trying to find a cotton ball in a blizzard. Hoping someone has meat/paper recall better than mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 03:45 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
It was a name coined from medical/research terms.

I'm not sure, but I think the WHO either coined it or encouraged the word's usage because it's so infectious.

When AIDS first appeared, it was tagged with a bunch of different names, and it took researchers a long time to realize they were all studying the same disease. The multiple names really confused the situation and allowed the virus a very long time to establish itself.

Ever since that outbreak, the search for a universal name became something that was settled as fast as possible.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:49 AM

88,590 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

I'm not sure, but I think the WHO either coined it or encouraged the word's usage because it's so infectious.

When AIDS first appeared, it was tagged with a bunch of different names, and it took researchers a long time to realize they were all studying the same disease. The multiple names really confused the situation and allowed the virus a very long time to establish itself.

Ever since that outbreak, the search for a universal name became something that was settled as fast as possible.
That isn't a response to the OP's question. He's asking about the term or name "COVID" being applied to something prior to the virus and having nothing to do with the virus.

OP, i am not sure, but it could be. Interesting. If it was a brand name for something I am sure it would be changed.

What first came to my mind when I saw it was "corvid". I like birds.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:05 AM

26,736 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OP, i am not sure, but it could be. Interesting.

What first came to my mind when I saw it was "corvid". I like birds.
There is a company in Tempe, AZ with this name.

Why is the company’s name “Covid”?

Going on 40 years ago, the original name of the company was “Vid Co.” At the time, they found out there were some other Vid Co’s in the country, so they changed the name to Covid.

One thing that folks at our office have been remarking on is that “covid” sounds sort of like “corvid,” like the bird family that crows are part of.

Meet the other COVID:
https://slate.com/technology/2020/02...a-company.html

Old 04-29-2020, 10:04 AM

10,905 posts, read 7,397,769 times
There used to be a weight loss candy called Ayds.
Went off the market in the '80s, when AIDS (which, BTW, causes weight loss) was all over the news.

A business called Covid might want to think of rebranding. Maybe add an R and use a raven in the logo.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
There used to be a weight loss candy called Ayds.
Went off the market in the '80s, when AIDS (which, BTW, causes weight loss) was all over the news.
Ah, but that's only half the story. They rebranded as "Slim-Aids"... when the colloquial term for the disease all across Africa was "Slim."

Quote:
A business called Covid might want to think of rebranding. Maybe add an R and use a raven in the logo.
Yeah, the MAD Magazine touchstone for this was the "Bobbit Sausage Company."

Thanks for replies. The company in AZ might be what I'm thinking of; I was elbow-deep in video production stuff about ten year ago and know I saw the name somewhere in some context.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:05 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

The disease name is from: Corona Virus Disease 2019= COVID-19

There were busisness and people named Isis from the Egyptian goddess, who had to go on the defensive to prove they weren't affliated with terrorists, too.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:41 PM

12,990 posts, read 9,516,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
I don't know where else to throw this question... but isn't/wasn't COVID either a brand name or a technology name in broadcast video?

Trying to search for this now is like trying to find a cotton ball in a blizzard. Hoping someone has meat/paper recall better than mine.
Like you, the name seems to ring a bell with me. Maybe it was just something similar.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Like you, the name seems to ring a bell with me. Maybe it was just something similar.
No, the above nails it (as did a friend with better Google-fu). COVID makes a wide line of AV cables, connectors and the like. I have some and have seen many more in studios. I just couldn't quite pin down where I knew it from.

Poor guys.

Old 05-01-2020, 04:41 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
No, the above nails it (as did a friend with better Google-fu). COVID makes a wide line of AV cables, connectors and the like. I have some and have seen many more in studios. I just couldn't quite pin down where I knew it from.

Poor guys.
There was once a popular appetite suppressing diet candy that was called AIDS. It didn't last long after the virus showed up, even though it had been around for over 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing