Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:33 AM

698 posts, read 3,270,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartjournals View Post
I'm surprised anyone throws out their journals! Unless they were once therapeutic and have become distant memories you never want to relive, I just can't imagine it. They are physical evidence of your existence! Something you can look back on later in life to relive your childhood memories, or give your grandchildren so they can read about your life.

I've simply stored all of my journals in a box in my room. In my opinion, they are my life and if someone were to discover and read them, I wouldn't be ashamed of anything. Therefor, I don't really feel the need to hide them, but not that that's not all right.

Journaling has had such an impact on my life that I even made a website dedicated to the art of keeping various journals.

Check out Moderator cut: No outside journals, blogs, personal websites, Myspace, FB links allowed. for more info.

-David Byers
Journaling as a way of life
I'm the one who started this thread and am surprised it's coming back alive after almost a year. I wouldn't have known it,but I got a reputation message. You're right and I do regret throwing away those five years worth and don't intend on throwing any that I have now away. I just wondered what everyone else did. What is your website dedicated to the art of journaling? I'd like to check it out. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 12:51 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,896,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
Does anyone else out there keep a journal? ....
I used to keep the Wall Street Journal but I quit doing that..

Old 02-06-2010, 07:14 AM

88,701 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
Does anyone else out there keep a journal? I started doing it several years ago and find it very therapeutic. What I'd like to know is what do you do with them when they accumulate? When I had a huge change in my life,I threw away about five years worth and now in my new life,I've accumulated about that many more. It's fun, enlightening,and informative to look back on them....but for how long? Should I keep them indefinitely? forever? What do you all do? Just curious.
This is a good question. I encouraged my daughter to start keeping journals when she was a young teen. She's now 18, and has a stack of notebooks and journals--she's kept them all. And no, I never once read them!

I have kept journals sporadically. At Christmas, my work unit does a name-pick things for gifts. A coworker who is another can't-quit-the-day-job writer bought me a book on writing book proposals and a new journal. I haven't yet written in it, and reading your post just reminded me that I'd made it a New Year's goal to do so. It is indeed very therapeutic.

I think my problem with keeping them is fear that someone will read them someday. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but the thought of it does make me self-edit somewhat and tend not to be so free about what I write down.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:01 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,321,495 times
I think journals are great, but they aren't so great when someone interlopes into your privacy and reads them. My 1st husband got nosey one day and found out the hard way just how how caustic my anger was towards him, and let's just say that it was "the push" to end a failing marriage.

I still write into a journal once in awhile, but only to record facts that I want/need to retain, and never when I'm angry. Writing while angry is very therapeutic but I wad those up when I'm done and burn them. Certain things are safest kept inside me.

Written words can be fun and historical down the road ~ even therapeutic. They can also be dangerous if used irresponsibly.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:14 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,284,772 times
Why not transcribe them and store them online at one of the various journal services? The reason I say that is heaven forbid there is ever a fire. You'd lose your precious written memories.

You don't have to make an online journal public--most of the journaling services have ways of password protecting them so they remain private. The bonus is that you can also upload photos to go with your entries. Some journal services will host the photos if you pay a nominal fee, or you can create an account on a free photo-sharing site and create links so the photos show up in your entries.

If you want to leave your journals for posterity, you can always note the URL and password in a document to be opened upon your passing.

Feel free to PM me and I can share a few tips.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:13 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,542,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
I think journals are great, but they aren't so great when someone interlopes into your privacy and reads them. My 1st husband got nosey one day and found out the hard way just how how caustic my anger was towards him, and let's just say that it was "the push" to end a failing marriage.

I still write into a journal once in awhile, but only to record facts that I want/need to retain, and never when I'm angry. Writing while angry is very therapeutic but I wad those up when I'm done and burn them. Certain things are safest kept inside me.

Written words can be fun and historical down the road ~ even therapeutic. They can also be dangerous if used irresponsibly
I've written journals as far back as I can remember. I keep them a few years, re-read, then destroy. Why? I write for myself and write the truth. There were/are/will always be things I write that I never want anyone to know about. I find by writing things down and reading later I can find solutions to most of my problems.
As a poet I can also chronicle my life. However, in poetry I have leeway to change things, but I still know exactly what I meant. My meanings are not always what others get out of my poetry, but that is what I want as a poet - I want the reader to take from each piece what they need.
No one has ever read my journals (and hopefully no one ever will), but I will continue to write, re-read and destroy. I've noticed there are less embarrassing things in my writings these days, so I must be living right and handling stress well.
I actually enjoy writing when angry! Of course, these are the pages that get shredded as soon as I am done venting and re-reading. I let it all out when I am mad!

Old 02-14-2010, 07:22 AM

88,701 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I've written journals as far back as I can remember. I keep them a few years, re-read, then destroy. Why? I write for myself and write the truth. There were/are/will always be things I write that I never want anyone to know about. I find by writing things down and reading later I can find solutions to most of my problems.
As a poet I can also chronicle my life. However, in poetry I have leeway to change things, but I still know exactly what I meant. My meanings are not always what others get out of my poetry, but that is what I want as a poet - I want the reader to take from each piece what they need.
No one has ever read my journals (and hopefully no one ever will), but I will continue to write, re-read and destroy. I've noticed there are less embarrassing things in my writings these days, so I must be living right and handling stress well.
I actually enjoy writing when angry! Of course, these are the pages that get shredded as soon as I am done venting and re-reading. I let it all out when I am mad!
I do that, too. I write down all the angry, awful things I want to say to people, and sometimes to God, lol, and then I destroy them.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:16 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,284,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
It's much more effective if you roll up the paper and then whap the jerkies about the head and shoulders with it.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:24 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,542,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
It's much more effective if you roll up the paper and then whap the jerkies about the head and shoulders with it.
Oh, if only...
I have had that thought, though.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:02 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,331,317 times
Quote:
Does anyone else out there keep a journal? I started doing it several years ago and find it very therapeutic. What I'd like to know is what do you do with them when they accumulate? When I had a huge change in my life,I threw away about five years worth and now in my new life,I've accumulated about that many more. It's fun, enlightening,and informative to look back on them....but for how long? Should I keep them indefinitely? forever? What do you all do? Just curious.
I've been a diary keeper for over 50 years and I still have all of the books I've written including the first one I started at ten. I keep them all in a big tin box with a note on top for my trusted niece (who also writes) to burn them after I die. I don't read them often---maybe every five years---but I find them well worth keeping for the reasons you mentioned. I've also gone through them and copied references to a good friend and put them book to give to her to mark our 50 years of friendship. She loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing