Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 11:00 PM

5,776 posts, read 11,419,876 times

Advertisements

The PBS weekly radio show from St Paul, MN "Prarie Home Companion" has featured a few fake public announcements from "The Partnership of English Majors".

A Prairie Home Companion: February 19, 2005 - English Majors script

Any regular listener of PHC knows that Garrison Kiellor likes to mimic other commercials and public announcements to make those on his radio show sound real. The Partnership of English Majors fake announcements on PHC made you listen carefully to catch the sly wit and clever phrases. They were not as funny as those for the National Ketchup Advisory Board, but certainly clever. I always wondered if there was something like a real Partnership of English Majors. I just noticed this thread on CD, and I'll bet there are pseudo members in our midst. (I was an Electrical Engineering major, so I don't qualify).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 08:01 AM

165 posts, read 396,377 times
No partnership that I know of, but I was indeed an English Lit major. My actual, career-intent major was AFROTC, but I couldn't declare that. I chose English because I found it easy, and the AF didn't care then; any degree was fine as long as you got one.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:41 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,033,767 times
Garrison Keillor's fake organization is the Professional Organization of English Majors. The show's website offers POEM t-shirts for sale.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:43 PM

165 posts, read 396,377 times
I had a chance encounter with Keilor in the Salt Lake City airport once. He stumbled off a plane in his red sneakers, as disheveled as a vagrant and squinted murkily about through his bottle-glass lenses. I walked over to this unmistakeable man and said, "I can't offer you a powdermilk biscuit, but I can offer directions."

He smiled wryly and asked how to find his connecting gate.

I wish now I'd known about the P.O.E.M. thing. I'd have mentioned that instead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing