Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 04:34 PM

774 posts, read 2,582,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicskier View Post
Both are quiet and lame
Funny how different people see things differently. The quiet and small-town charm are what I look forward to. I live in a large "cool" city now and it's not all it's cracked up to be. I can't wait to get out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 09:05 PM

74 posts, read 312,907 times
Thermop=tourist trap

Old 07-03-2007, 10:00 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Having the largest hot springs in the U.S. in terms of daily flow will tend to attract some tourists. Still, Thermop manages to be a pretty normal small town. Tourist traps? Jackson, Sun Valley, Park City, Aspen, Vail, Telluride, Crested Butte, Durango, Steamboat Springs, and Santa Fe--just to name a few. Most of them ski towns--they have turned shaking down tourists into a high art. Thank God that Thermop, and a lot of other towns like it, will never make it into that league.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:53 PM

21 posts, read 222,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Well, if two pleasant farming/ranching communities surrounded by some of the best scenery in Wyoming (Big Horn Mountains, Wind River canyon, Absaroka Mountains, etc.) are "lame," then so be it. Sometimes towns don't need to be big and fancy to be nice communities. Worland is small and lame enough that Pepsi-Cola started there (bet you didn't know that). Thermop is small and lame enough that Wyoming's current Governor is from there.

And, if you have a cat, he or she probably likes Worland. The kitty litter he or she uses probably came from there.
AS to the Statement about Pepsi Cola, it did not start in Worland the drink was started in New Bern, North Carolina by Pharmacist Caleb Bradham. There is a bottling and distribution plant in Warland owened by Admiral Beverage Company. Pepsi cola today is owned by Pepsico that is the National Company and it is based out of Purchase, New York.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:46 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
LoneWolf2421,

I stand corrected.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:21 AM

21 posts, read 222,587 times
I worked for Pepsi Americas in Mississippifor 10 years and Looked at Trying to get a job once in Worland for Admiral Beverage. They are a pretty good size independant bottler. They have territory also in Utah,Idaho,South Dakota,Montana, And Alaska. But the Main Office is in Worland. My Wife and I have been thinking about moving to Wyoming for quite some time. She was born and raised in Cheyenne. We mad the mistake of moving to the Mississippi Coast instead. To be a reasonable drive from the Family. I have lived here 4 years and have regreated all 4. I plan on selling my house here next spring and heading west. Wyoming is a Beautiful State. With Good people. I was not trying to step on your toes or anything just passing along a fact. I also see you are are Jass lover. I always liked going to New Orleans down to the French Quarter and listening to the Guy play Dixie!

Old 07-26-2007, 08:44 PM

30 posts, read 212,571 times
Default Worland/Thermopolis Rental

Okay, trying to find a rental in Worland and Thermopolis that would accept pets...a real pain in the butt. No one wanted to take them. Hardly anything available. No one returned calls if you called them. Luckily, we got lucky and found a great place and great landlord (Thanks God!). If you plan to move there plan a lot of time to research and make contacts. Good Luck!

Old 11-14-2007, 11:58 AM

24 posts, read 42,739 times
Wink good 'ole little town America

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyLee View Post
Worland has new homes going up and others for sale. It's growing. We're told by internet and the locals Wal-mart is expected next year if they can work out the details with the city. Otherwise, there are plenty of local stores.

*GypsyLee*

I love the absolute irony within your line I quoted above. "plenty of local stores." yup for now. riiiiight up until that G__D_mn crap-mart moves in and moves everyone else out...for good. try to prove me wrong. oh, sure, everyone is so convinced that that place is so great for a community. think again. I know you didn't embellish on any implication that crap-mart is a benefit in your posting, but I just feel the need to voice one very caring-for-the-retention-of-small-town-America guy's opinion. Also, sadly and doubtless it would be a super crap-mart too, so grocery stores will also take a financial lashing, along with communal losses beyond any city council's scope of topics ever covered in meetings before the fact of intrusion.

Bentonville, AR just waves a few million dollars in front of small town concil's faces and the deals are done. little wonderful places, and they are diminishing like normal snowfall winters every year, are constantly threatened by the misconception of growth being a positive thing for a community.

It ain't.

I have yet to find a negative point about the part of WY in discussion here as my wife and I are also considering moving there and calling it quits on any rat-race nonsense, even from up here in bozeman. we are from small town America our whole lives and only ended up here in bozo because jobs took us here. what an unbelieveably perfect example of a former small town Montana being completely BOUGHT AND SOLD OUT. wow. It is just sickening to see such great ranch land torn up for a several hundred homes or a crap load of big-box stores. My goodness gracious. It is sick humor to read about city planning commission speak of "conservation" of the Gallatin valley.

anyway, best of luck to you.
Chuck

Old 03-10-2008, 06:40 PM

269 posts, read 829,470 times
Did you end up in Worland or Thermop? I lived in Worland twice, once for 5 years and 0nce for 1 year. Loved it there and might move back on nearing retirerment. Shocks me to hear that wallmart would put a store there! They already have one in cody which isn't very far. I think it would be a emblem of greed to be beheld by all in the basin! By now you should have found out about how great it is to live there and probably checked out tensleep and had a shake at dirty sally's? Fished tensleep creek or upper nowood? Been to Hyattville and fished paintrock creek? Went up to meadow lark lake? Skied meadowlark? If not check it out, get a small boat and float bighorn river - gold panther mts work well, or worm it , flyfish it or just watch it flow by. damn I miss that little town. Also this time of year thermop is like a private pool and open all year. P.S. don't eat fish caught below hot springs!

Old 03-14-2008, 10:59 PM

38 posts, read 175,999 times
I hate walmart!! I do NOT shop at that store. I wish people would ban that store! If more people did that, there might be less walmart stores being built and ruining neighborhoods. I am wasting my time in asking that, I know. I use to live in Oregon some time back and in one town there must have been hundreds in the community put up/post signs in their yards with the message: NO MORE WALMART STORES!! or NO MORE BOX STORES! Oregon does one thing right: they keep walmart at bay for the most part. They are in the state, but not many!

Changing subjects~~where are the best spots for gold panning in WY? need a permit? If so, is it through BLM?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming