Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 10:34 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times

Advertisements

We got snow up on top the night before last. It was white down to about the 5,000 ft level. As such, I've seen a few bulls in the back of pickups at the station. But only a couple.

There was more snow last night and today. Tonight is supposed to get even more. Hopefully that will help.

My daughter that is up there now with her husband, packed in on horseback and set up their tent and camp late last week. Not sure where. But a couple years ago she was a bit ticked because she got a 5 by 5. Smallest Bull she's shot in 9 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 07:41 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,174,164 times
What's your favorite Elk recipe??? Also..are there caribou in WY and if so, do people hunt them?

Old 10-27-2010, 08:22 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
No caribou in the states other than in Alaska, and you've got to go pretty far north in Canada.

I'll leave the elk recipes to someone who has them. I shot my ONE elk more than 30 years ago and now only hunt them with a camera.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:05 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
No caribou in the states other than in Alaska, and you've got to go pretty far north in Canada.

I'll leave the elk recipes to someone who has them. I shot my ONE elk more than 30 years ago and now only hunt them with a camera.
there a small herd of woodland caribou in nothern Idaho

https://research.idfg.idaho.gov/wild...20Selkirks.pdf

Old 10-28-2010, 12:35 AM

I prefer to cook my elk steaks by lightly flouring them and then fry them in bacon grease.

I DO NOT marinate game. Elk, Deer and Antelope do not need marinated.

It's tough to do with our weather the way it is, but game needs to be hung for several days. We go to the grocery store and demand prime beef. Prime beef hangs for 18-21 days. If you take beef and cut it up the same day you kill it, it tastes like crap. Same with game. It's gamey and tough if you cut it up right away. I hang an elk 10-12 days, Deer and Antelope I hange for 8 days. But, I have access to a walk in cooler.

Elk Roasts I cook just like I would cook ANY roast. But I've found that slower is better. So I'll take a Elk roast and put it in a slow cooker, add the veggies and spices I want and then let it cook on low from 5am until 5pm. When you take it out, it falls apart. Forgot to mention. I throw the roast in a vary hot pan with a little oil to brown it slightly and then put it in the slow cooker.

Jerky, I marinate, but that's a different story. I marinate to get the jalapeno and habenero juices to soak in.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 10-28-2010 at 11:07 PM..

Old 10-28-2010, 07:37 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,174,164 times
Thank Elkhunter.. learned something new about hanging meat. I'm not much of a venison eater due to the "gamey" taste. My daughter's going out this coming weekend for her annual deer hunt. I'll let her know...we've had some snow so it might be cold enough. Doesn't it dry out though?

Do you sell your jerky??

I've had caribou (my hubby traded some computer work for it) and I like moose. I don't think I've tried elk or antelope (pronghorn) though. The caribou was tasty. Moose is good in chili.

Good luck to all you hunters! hope you get the "big one!"

Old 10-28-2010, 07:42 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
there a small herd of woodland caribou in nothern Idaho

https://research.idfg.idaho.gov/wild...20Selkirks.pdf

Thanks for that Jody! I had no idea there were any caribou within a thousand miles of the continental U.S. I stand corrected and enlightened.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
-snip-
Do you sell your jerky??

-snip-
Unfortunately no. I have 7 kids that are happy to gobble it up before I could even package it.

A few years ago, my son was in Iraq (AlHabinia) and I sent him a couple jars of salsa and a couple pounds of jerky. He had asked me to make it hot.

He wrote back. "Dear Dad, you made a bunch of Marines cry. Please send more."

Old 10-29-2010, 09:12 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Unfortunately no. I have 7 kids that are happy to gobble it up before I could even package it.

A few years ago, my son was in Iraq (AlHabinia) and I sent him a couple jars of salsa and a couple pounds of jerky. He had asked me to make it hot.

He wrote back. "Dear Dad, you made a bunch of Marines cry. Please send more."
besides to sell meat it must be processed from a USDA inspected plant from inspected meat, so game meat would have to come from a game farm .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming