Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 12:59 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times

Advertisements

I read yesterday on Forbes.com that Casper, Wyoming was listed in the top 10 for the best places to raise a family in the U.S. Many factors were considered. It was #1 in the western states and ranked at about #6 or #7 I think. Nice to see that our state is being recognized, although Casper probably wouldn't be my choice for the "best" in the state. Not saying that Casper isn't great and isn't a ton better than towns all over the country, it would just be down my list of favorite Wyoming towns a bit. Anyway, congrats to Casper for making the list and for being so marketable!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 01:02 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
What would be your best places list?

Old 10-27-2010, 05:58 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,174,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post

I'd say Lander, but that's just my humble opinion

Gillette is nice too, while not a picturesque..nice people!

Old 10-27-2010, 08:18 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
I'd say Lander, but that's just my humble opinion

Gillette is nice too, while not a picturesque..nice people!
I was afraid someone would say Gilette. There's a job there I could have probably had. Anyway, great state, but a bit too cold in the winter for my blood.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:25 AM

258 posts, read 1,000,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I'd vote for Cody. It has beauty, good schools/hospital/medical community and an economic base that includes tourism as only one of several viable options. And, the Buffalo Bill Historical Center - second to none! A little bit of everything, there!

Old 10-28-2010, 10:03 AM

I also live in Gillette and love it here. I was raised in the Big Horn Basin and would love to get back there some day, though. The Cody area is probably my #1 pick. I just like the area, proximity to Yellowstone, Billings, the lake, etc. I also love the Sheridan area because it is also close to the mountains and has a nice hometown atmosphere. Of course Casper has more to offer as far as shopping, bigger airport, events center, etc. I'm sure that was taken into consideration when the report I mentioned was done. Casper is just a little too windy (although it's windy a lot of places in Wyoming) for me and I don't get the same hometown feel there, maybe because of its size. We love Gillette for the people and for the progress going on here. Gillette itself isn't the most scenic, but in under an hour you are at a nice lake, and within an hour or so either in the Big Horn Mountains for the Black Hills. Also, the economy is better in Gillette than in most places in the state and most definitely better than most of the country. Casper isn't bad, though! I think you should have gone for the job in Gillette. We have been happier here than anywhere we've lived.....again, mostly due to the people and also due to the economy allowing us to do much better than "live paycheck to paycheck", as well as for the amenities the town has.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:02 PM

375 posts, read 1,381,626 times
Lander, Powell & Thermopolis or Douglas

Old 10-28-2010, 08:08 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
.... We have been happier here than anywhere we've lived.....again, mostly due to the people and also due to the economy allowing us to do much better than "live paycheck to paycheck", as well as for the amenities the town has.

Excellent point, Georgia. A good income can provide a certain amount of freedom. One of the reasons we decided to stay in Gillette years ago was because my income allowed us to buy a nice personal aircraft. I'd been a licensed pilot before moving here but couldn't afford more than a puddle jumper. The plane meant we could easily travel "back home" to Iowa on a weekend or to a choice of cities for a day of shopping, a football game or what-have-you.

Extra days off from work can give one the same kind of freedom. My son is a shift worker at one of the local mines. His long stretches of days off is like having a vacation every month. In the past 6-8 months he's been on golfing trips to CA, AZ, NC and HI, and just got back last week from Mexico (as did I). If you have the freedom to travel/vacation regularly rather than working 52 weeks of the year, it can make a huge difference in how you feel about your job and life in general.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:06 AM

99 posts, read 245,299 times
I can't let this thread pass without me throwing in my vote for Clark!

Old 10-29-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann the Artist View Post
I can't let this thread pass without me throwing in my vote for Clark!
You are always so cute! I love how much you love Clark! You guys have certainly found your own little piece of paradise and I'm so happy for you.
G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming