Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 06:36 PM

7 posts, read 33,470 times

Advertisements

I live in Rock Springs Wyoming. Many money crazed people are moving here in swarms. This is the place to make it. I remember before I moved here living off of $1800 a month and thinking that I was doing pretty good. That's not uncommon in many communitys. Now between my husband and I, we bring in about $10,000 a month. If I had to live off $1800 again, I would think I was starving to death. I've had alot of friends move here and they think I'm lying, until they get their first 2 week paycheck for $3,000. I can't blame anyone for coming for the money and cushy lifestyle. I am tired, however, of people moving here and talking about how much it sucks! Mostly the one's who complain the most are Texans. No offense to Texas at all. My dad is a Texan, and I like Texas and it's people. Although Texas and Wyoming both have alot of cowboys, they are VERY different places.
Everything comes with a price. Here we are rich. Many of us have to live in campers, regardless of our money bacause there are soooo many people here that we can't find housing. There are plenty of places to buy, if you want to spend $250,000 for a regular 3 bedroom with a yard and garage. That's if you plan on staying. Rock Springs is dirt and sage brush. There's nothing pretty here. You have to drive for that. The wind blows horribly nearly all the time. That means alot of dirt in the eyes around here. We have 9 months of winter. It's sooo cold. Have you seen it snowing so much that you can't see the front end of your car? That's called a white out. Move here, and you WILL see one. There's tons of Meth. So if that's what you're into, this is the place. It seems like everyone is either hi or drunk. If you plan on coming here to work in the oilfield, you will work 12-30 or more hours in weather that makes you feel like you're gonna die. You will work and put your life in the hands of more than a few Meth heads(thats how they stay awake that long). If you can live with this get rich quick plan, then welcome to Wyoming! If not, do yourself and us a favor and stay home. I know how abrupt this sounds, but wouldn't you rather know BEFORE you get here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 06:40 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,065,723 times
I'm sorry but I beg to differ. There are not nine months of winter here, it ends by April and doesn't start up again till November. Also, the wind doesn't blow non-stop here. The lack of wind is the nicest thing I can say about this place. I'm comparing it to Laramie and Cheyenne.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:56 PM

150 posts, read 519,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
I'm sorry but I beg to differ. There are not nine months of winter here, it ends by April and doesn't start up again till November. Also, the wind doesn't blow non-stop here. The lack of wind is the nicest thing I can say about this place. I'm comparing it to Laramie and Cheyenne.
Saying the wind dosent blow in rock springs and than comparing it to Cheyenne or Laramie is like saying lemons arnt sour if all you have eaten before is gooseberrys. I lived in the rock for three years the wind does blow I did like rock springs thou I lived out by the cemetary, I saw roofs blown off houses my horse trailer rooled 8 feet on flat ground one night you can set your watch at 10:00 am thats is when it starts.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:21 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,830,289 times
One winter in RKS i had to crawl out the window of my rented trailer house. The snow had blown so hard that it came around the side of the trailer and blew a nine foot wide pile down the side of the trailer. From the top of it down.
In the 1970's and early 80's. I read where people acutally commited suicide because of the constant wind. I was young and just considerded it part of the town.
I will admit RKS is not my first choice to live in WY. But you got alot of blm land, if you got to go. Salt lake and Denver are just a few hours away. Flaming George, Green river used to be great fishing. Hunting was good also. The people were a certain kind there. But I still had many friends, and could count on them as friends. And them on me. The town has alot more for a family to do now than then.
AHHHHH the Texans, they have been a part of the state, it seems, forever. Them, the okies and coon-asses. Always complaining. But the knowledge they bring about the energy boom. Has always been welcome, to a point. Most got there in the 60's,70's,80's. Transfered in by their companies. Or came in with new companies. I too am a transplant. I came in from Colorado in the early 70's.
And telling people to stay out. How would you take that? Standing there looking at more money than you have ever made in your life. I can assure you. MOST of the people in that state are transplants from somewhere else. That is how the mineral energy part of the state got it start and is what is is today.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:43 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,065,723 times
The wind may have blown daily in the 70's and 80's but it hasn't since I moved here in 2004. Actually, even when it does blow it isn't very strong, not one time have I had to brace my car door with my foot while getting out for fear that it would crush my leg, and that's on the windiest side of town at Walmart. What would you have me compare the wind here to? If I can't compare it to actual windy places. It's 9:45am I'll get back to you on that one, lol!

Old 07-26-2007, 07:38 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
While I was in the service, one old southern boy asked me, "Well, how long are your winters, or summers?"

I said, "Last year we had summer on the 7th of July from 1pm til 4 pm." hahaha

But I agree. Winters seem long and brutal but they're not as bad as they used to be. I've seen snow in June. I've seen snow in September. But it's not every year. it's a rare occurance. Normally, we can expect snow sometime in October. Snow, but not much. Not real cold either. April brings flowers on the mountain. Course, it can snow again, but not likely. It has, but not often.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:31 PM

774 posts, read 2,582,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountaindawn View Post
There's nothing pretty here.
Pretty is in the eyes of the beholder. One of the most beautiful sights I have seen is that of wild horses in the Red Desert, thought the Red Desert is beautiful in and of itself without the horses. The openness, alone, is a beautiful sight when you're coming from a densely populated area.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:22 AM

16 posts, read 42,000 times
Tigergal has a great point. I grew up with horses (AZ) and still have one old 1/4 horse in the pasture, but had no experience with wild/feral horses until my first antelope hunt on BLM land west of Bairoil the first year I moved here. It was a neat thrill to see them run up at me, check me out and turn and run away. It was one of those I'm so happy I live here moments.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:24 PM

20 posts, read 89,598 times
I honestly think it is all what you like. I am from Wyoming and at the moment am trying to move back. I have lived in Illinois for the past 15 years. Wyoming has always been home to me and when I go back it's like a breath of fresh air and relaxation in me. Some parts of Wyoming are post card perfect. Where most of the high paying jobs are, they are not. Alot of these area's are prairie and grasslands and not many tree's. But you know what? I love it! It's home to me. When I moved away and I was in school, one day in class the teacher was doing a lecture on wildlife. I was the only one in the whole class that could name every animal! I was amazed at the students not knowing anything. I think what may be pretty to a person, may not be to others. It's just about who you are and your likes and dislikes. Some people can not like wyoming but others can love it. Doesn't make either right or wrong. As far as drugs, well if you choose not to be around them or surround yourself by people that do them, then your not going to be affected. Simple as that. My Mom, Dad and Brothers still live there and have no problem with drugs...why?? because they don't support that lifestyle or anyone who does. So honestly, it's the type of person you are and the type of lifestyle you want to lead. What a boring world this would be if everyone liked the same things and did the same stuff.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:54 PM

269 posts, read 829,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountaindawn View Post
I live in Rock Springs Wyoming. Many money crazed people are moving here in swarms. This is the place to make it. I remember before I moved here living off of $1800 a month and thinking that I was doing pretty good. That's not uncommon in many communitys. Now between my husband and I, we bring in about $10,000 a month. If I had to live off $1800 again, I would think I was starving to death. I've had alot of friends move here and they think I'm lying, until they get their first 2 week paycheck for $3,000. I can't blame anyone for coming for the money and cushy lifestyle. I am tired, however, of people moving here and talking about how much it sucks! Mostly the one's who complain the most are Texans. No offense to Texas at all. My dad is a Texan, and I like Texas and it's people. Although Texas and Wyoming both have alot of cowboys, they are VERY different places.
Everything comes with a price. Here we are rich. Many of us have to live in campers, regardless of our money bacause there are soooo many people here that we can't find housing. There are plenty of places to buy, if you want to spend $250,000 for a regular 3 bedroom with a yard and garage. That's if you plan on staying. Rock Springs is dirt and sage brush. There's nothing pretty here. You have to drive for that. The wind blows horribly nearly all the time. That means alot of dirt in the eyes around here. We have 9 months of winter. It's sooo cold. Have you seen it snowing so much that you can't see the front end of your car? That's called a white out. Move here, and you WILL see one. There's tons of Meth. So if that's what you're into, this is the place. It seems like everyone is either hi or drunk. If you plan on coming here to work in the oilfield, you will work 12-30 or more hours in weather that makes you feel like you're gonna die. You will work and put your life in the hands of more than a few Meth heads(thats how they stay awake that long). If you can live with this get rich quick plan, then welcome to Wyoming! If not, do yourself and us a favor and stay home. I know how abrupt this sounds, but wouldn't you rather know BEFORE you get here?
No one looking for a job that pays that ridiculous amount you quoated or goated is gonna stay home And I HOPE NO ONE TAKES THIS POST AS FACT' THANKS TO THE POSTERS THAT HAVE REPLIED>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming