Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 07:08 PM

992 posts, read 2,373,405 times

Advertisements

I have MY reasons:
1. No state income tax
2. Not as crowded
3. School system
4. Ease of children going to college
5. Abundance of public land

What would other reasons be? My husband has looked at jobs in both CO (around Leadville, Empire) and jobs in Laramie and Shoshoni. Now, we've lived in Laramie, and many lessons were learned about Laramie after the fact. The. Wind. Blows. All. The. Time. The altitude never bothered me but that wind would just cut through me. I learned how to breathe differently because if I took too deep of a breath in that cold wind, I'd almost choke!
Anyway, I'm partial to Wyoming for a lot of reasons, but there are some nice things about CO. I do think the folks in WY are a bit more welcoming of outsiders. I've read some threads in the CO forum that make people want to stay away; it seems they don't want anyone coming to their state.
What are your reasons for WY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 09:59 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
1. It's not just no state income tax. Property taxes are generally lower too, as are sales taxes, gas taxes, corporate taxes, estate taxes (?), etc. Most all taxes -- except license plates.

2. It's not just the lack of crowds. It's also the lack of people. You've probably heard that Wyoming is like one big spread out community. If you want to, you can have a real voice in how the government is run in Wyoming. Heck, you can even have a say in how our U.S. senators vote. That's because they only represent a relatively small number of constituents.

I've at least met most of Wyoming's governors since moving here 40 years ago. One was the brother to a good friend. I've never had occasion to phone one, but I was told when I first moved here that if one wanted to place a phone call to the the governor all you had to do was pick up the phone and dial his number. I've also known most of the U.S. senators, one well enough to call him a friend. That's not because I'm into politics; it's simply because Wyoming has the population of a small to medium sized city in most other states.

3. Agreed. I often watch Denver's TV news and am dismayed at the problems they're having with their public school system.

4. Yup. The distance to a 4-year-college can be a problem, but with the Hathaway Foundation and all the community colleges in the state, if a kid wants to attend college he/she certainly can.

5. Yup. Lots of it.

No doubt Colorado has advantages too, but I think you've got a good list favoring Wyoming.

I came to Wyoming from Alaska. I thought it had many of Alaska's advantages without being so far away from family. I still believe that -- beautiful mountains, clear streams, good fishing, hunting, and other outdoor recreation, low population density, and good job opportunities. Some don't like the weather. There are times I get sick of the cold, long winters, but perfect weather is hard to find, especially without crowds.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:49 AM

144 posts, read 553,103 times
Because Colorado sucks!

Old 09-17-2011, 12:38 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose13 View Post
Because Colorado sucks!
That was very descriptive and gave the OP lots to go by.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:54 PM

To me, Wyoming is more independent and expects you to be. Colorado is a welfare state.

I have a daughter that has made a profession out of the welfare system. Not working for them but taking advantage of them. I don't talk to her much.

She was up here in Wyoming and got assistance from the state. She soon found out that the state expected you to do as much as you can to get back in the workforce. They made it more difficult as time went on, to just set around and get assistance.

So, she moved to Colorado. She once said, "Daddy, it's so easy to get assistance down here. I can work a part time job of only a few hours a week and get by comfortably." She's been down there for 6 years and they are still handing it to her.

That money has to come from somewhere and I would imagine it's coming out of honest, hard working residents of the state of Colorado.

She's a hopeless cause, so don't even go there with me.

The point is, she's on an endless ride in Colorado where Wyoming said she either needed to take on work and start trying, or they were going to cut her off. I liked that part.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:26 PM

46 posts, read 115,176 times
You couldn't pay me enough to live in Colorado.

Having grown up in Northern California, I see Colorado is turning into California. Too many people, too expensive, too many laws/crime, and very much a nanny state.

Wyoming is like a small town. It is amazing how many people I know who also know this other person that lives in another part of the state, or knows so and so- everyone knows everyone. People are more independent. Less crime, although it is going up with the influx of oil and gas workers from other states, unfortunately. But when you bring a bunch of single men to a place like Wyoming and park them in a small town, I guess they get bored.

Tons of public land, and if you're friendly with private land owners, they will often still let you hunt/fish on their private land. The weather is beautiful- it's lovely having seasons. IF you can't handle the wind, it's just a sign that Wyoming isn't a place for you. My first winter in Wyoming was in Laramie. It wasn't a problem at all for me! Everyone warned me how windy and cold it is there, which is true, but it didn't bother me the way it bothers some people.

Wyoming just has a greater quality of people, and life, in my opinion.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:43 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,787 times
I met a couple who lived in Wyoming for about 20 years. They had moved to South Dakota for money reasons. Their children still lived in Wyo. The couple liked everything about Wyoming except they said people in Wyo expect you to work. They were elderly or I would've had a few choice words for them on their attitude.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
I met a couple who lived in Wyoming for about 20 years. They had moved to South Dakota for money reasons. Their children still lived in Wyo. The couple liked everything about Wyoming except they said people in Wyo expect you to work. They were elderly or I would've had a few choice words for them on their attitude.
Hey, I am 100% disabled and use a walker. I have people stop and talk and they don't ask how I'm doing, they say, "So where do you work?"

Old 09-17-2011, 10:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Default Why would I pick WY over CO
We all have our reasons.... (ex-COLO and WY resident)

I don't do 'traffic lights', thus Colorado won't 'pass'.

a few other reasons (of ~10 zillion )

REASON ENOUGH >>>WY people can't be beat (they are hard workers! )<<<

Fewer Cases of Affluenza !
More genuine relationships (and certainly more FUN relationships)
Nice roadside reflectors on 2 lane highways
WY is Less traveling in Winter I think Burgess Jct would be a nice place to winter, with a warm body and a good book or two (Road closed in Winter on 2 sides)

WY Better than CO...
State Gov (especially financing / spending for value of community, rather than some imported Californian's pet project)
Schools
Quality of life
Scenery (If you know where to look)
Closer to Canada, MT, SD, ND, ID and some good parts of UT (there will be VERY few states worth moving to in 10 more yrs.... 'population centric' electorate strategies are killing the benefit of USA political system (representation in many states / even entire USA can be elected by a few densely populated areas, campaigns target the uniformed voters with Hollywood style glitz. Money / popularity buys elections (and legislation), not proven record for public service.

WY will be able to 'buck' this problem for quite awhile.

reason 1,999,999,999,999 ... I LIKE to work (even tho retired, I still work the equivalent of three jobs (most as volunteer). This work ethic is greatly scorned on the left coast. (not an ez place for a 'prairie kid' to habitate)

Old 09-18-2011, 08:10 PM

116 posts, read 449,843 times
Colorado reminds me of that Eagles song:

Rich men came and raped the land.
Nobody caught 'em.
Put up a bunch of ugly boxes.
And, Jesus, people bought 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming