Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,645 times

Advertisements

My family and I are thinking of moving to Wyoming in search of a new start. We currently live in a small town in Missouri. We have a young son that is 2. we both dream of a state with wide open country such as Wyoming. My question is what town would you recommend? My wife is a CNA and I am willing to work anywhere that pays decent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 07:42 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogsniper View Post
My family and I are thinking of moving to Wyoming in search of a new start. We currently live in a small town in Missouri. We have a young son that is 2. we both dream of a state with wide open country such as Wyoming. My question is what town would you recommend? My wife is a CNA and I am willing to work anywhere that pays decent.
What skills and experience can you offer a prospective employer? A few years ago all that was necessary was to be warm and breathing but that's no longer the case. What's decent pay to you? If you don't have a degree or some skill it's going to be difficult to earn enough to lead a pleasant life here as your wife isn't going to be able to make a high wage in her current occupation. Now, if she were an RN that would be a very different story.

Do you have the money to start a business?

What do you expect to find in Wyoming? What are your interests? Have you ever visited Wyoming? It's very different from the movies. We do have wide open spaces and many people come to love this state so much that they could never live anywhere else. But it's not for everyone. That's why we have the smallest population of all the states.

Tell us more about yourselves.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:43 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
With many pages of WY threads on this topic, may I suggest that you read what has been posted by so many in the last few years?

FWIW ... "anywhere that pays decent" is open to a wide range of interpretations. Do you have any specific needs/desires that would be part of that assessment?

Given the current economy in this region, a real starting point for "where to move to in Wyoming" discussion would be what jobs you are qualified to work and where can you get hired?

Wyoming presents a unique set of challenges when it comes to getting a job and livable housing in many areas; ie, there's been a lot of boom times in the past and while the price points for housing may have come down a little, that doesn't mean that they are easily affordable for many people where the jobs are right now.

Do not make the mistaken assumption that because Wyoming has a lot of wide open spaces and a low population density that it is inexpensive to be here, especially compared to low altitude riparian climate states where land/housing/services/shopping/medical/recreation is readily available.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:28 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
Alot of young guy are gone for 12 days home for 8 as they are working gas and oil patches 10 days on 10 off but most are traveling to SD or Southern Co. because there are not many jobs close to home.the boom hasn't busted just slowed down and leveled off

Old 07-18-2012, 09:34 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Look here to see what jobs are available, and where. Then go from there. www.wyomingatwork.com

Keep in mind that that site doesn't list the jobs at the VA clinics or the two VA Hospitals in the state.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:43 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,701,008 times
BDS: You might want to have your wife check the medical industry trades for what towns in Wyoming have hospital facilities that need certified nurse anesthetists - she's a CNA, right? I suspect you are going to quickly narrow your search to a small handful of towns. Then you can consider all of the other good advice given here in a more relevant context.

Good luck!

Old 07-19-2012, 07:20 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
BDS: You might want to have your wife check the medical industry trades for what towns in Wyoming have hospital facilities that need certified nurse anesthetists - she's a CNA, right? I suspect you are going to quickly narrow your search to a small handful of towns. Then you can consider all of the other good advice given here in a more relevant context.

Good luck!
CNA = certified nursing assistant

Old 07-19-2012, 07:31 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogsniper View Post
Definitely check out the site ElkHunter suggested. As far as a place to live, there is plenty of wide open country in this state. Do you want mountains, prairie, or high desert? We have all of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming