Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 03:41 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,055,498 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to give my 2 cents as far as housing, I agree that housing is affected by supply and demand. But I have really have to agree with the gentleman that said the housing prices are artificially inflated by some realtors (not all) and bankers. Supply and demand is only a small piece to the puzzle.

The reason we are in the mess we are in as far as housing nation wide is because of banks giving too many people loans and lowering the standards, and realtors that want to make an easy buck. I have had realtors themselves tell me that when a bust happens all those out to make a buck come out of the wood work and end up quitting.

I think it is sad, because the people that built Wyoming and locals that make this state such a wonderful place are the ones being punished if they didn't buy a house before the boom. The majority of those making big money are outsiders, some are locals that had to leave their trades or jobs in order to make enough money to survive.

Best of luck to you in Gillette. I have heard in the newspaper that worksource Wyoming is have a major recruitment of instate and out of state people because there are several jobs that need to be filled state wide... There will be job fairs and all kinds of stuff... I would contact worksource Wyoming or go to their web site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 08:16 PM

264 posts, read 1,093,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad Straight View Post
The prices are not realtor driven. Its a supply and demand thing. The whole area is booming. Jobs wouls be no prob. rentals might be. Good luck. My son in law is from Michigan and has worked steady as a rousta bout and equip[ment operator. Welcome to Wyo
I don't believe the inflated prices here are because of supply and demand. Like the guy I work with who's asking over $320K for his 2300sq.ft. home built in 1979, there's a lot of homeowners and realtors (not all of them) here looking to make a huge profit selling something that isn't worth what they're asking. Dozens of the homes for sale here have been available for quite some time now. In fact, 12 homes on the other side of the street where I'm renting have been for sale for a long time - no one is buying them. If demand were so high, these homes would be gone - they're brand new. Three of the homes on my list have been reduced in price by more than $10K and some folks I've talked to think the prices will continue to fall now. I'm just hoping by the end of next year the market will have really started to come back down to earth. As for the guy I work with selling his home - his home has been available since early this year and he's in no hurry to sell.

Last edited by ruggedindividual; 10-17-2007 at 08:32 PM..

Old 10-22-2007, 07:17 AM

22 posts, read 50,448 times
thank you all for the info.. I guess im going out there first and once I get a job and a place to live my wife and son are moving out there too .. thanks again

Old 10-22-2007, 07:49 AM

104 posts, read 365,640 times
Good luck Godhandfreedome. Update us all after you make the move. I hope it goes well for ya. I hope to do the same with my family someday. Just worried about the transition from the Midwest to West.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:18 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times
You are thinking very right on going and then when settled. Get the family out. I would suggest this site. Craigslist, then go to wyoming and look at the sites. You will find rooms, houseing (kinda), and other things in the state. If there is anyway you can score a camper or travel trailer before going. Do it!!! You might work a deal with a employer to live on his business/property and maybe hookup to the electric. And use the bathrooms in the building after you get known as a trusted employee. You could also have the ability to move all over the state. If something dosn't work out. You will also have a place to stay and not have that worry. You can use campgrounds, public land, ect. That's how alot of people did it in the boom of the 1970's. Just my 2 cents

Old 10-22-2007, 01:39 PM

Im going to buy a conversion van or a motor home to live in until i can find a house thank you for the input..

Old 10-22-2007, 09:06 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
I don't know how well a conversion van would work out in a Wyoming winter, might be a bit cold. Best to wait until warmer weather, I'd think, unless you can score a long-distance rental.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:57 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times
If you get propane heat for it be sure and get a carbon monoxide detector. I probably wouldn't be here if it were not for one. I had one go off one night elk hunting in my camper. I had propane heat and the wind changed during the night. The exhaust was coming in the camper. All we got out of it were bad headaches and feeling awful lucky.
Put it at head level of where your sleeping. That way it will go off before you smell too much of it.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:51 AM

I will. i have a buddy heater and a -10 sleeping bag so i should stay worm it gets cold hear at night ive been tent camping a few times in the winter and have worked out in it for 6 years at my old job so i kinda used to it .. how cold does it get there?

Old 10-31-2007, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,380 times
Heavy Equipment operators - particularly open pit mining equipment are in great demand through the Powder River Basis area. As a recruiter for the mining industry I am often looking for Operators, Mechanics, Supervisors, Engineers and Safety people for WY and Southeastern AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming