Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 04:42 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,826,625 times

Advertisements

Saw this great link on FB regarding the plowing of the park's roads. Awesome pictures and updates on the progress.
Yellowstone Or Bust - Wyoming Travel and Tourism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 02:13 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,574 times
In last night's Cody paper it was reported that the recent storm hasn't really slowed down the plowing or the plans to have the road to the park open!

Old 04-11-2013, 02:35 PM

774 posts, read 2,583,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiainwyo View Post
In last night's Cody paper it was reported that the recent storm hasn't really slowed down the plowing or the plans to have the road to the park open!
Thank heavens. I (and my camera) are itching to get in there.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:00 PM

791 posts, read 1,154,671 times
When does the snow plow work done what part of the year? Does south roads get most of the snow in the park?

Old 04-18-2013, 02:09 PM

The deepest snow tends to be along Sylvan Pass and Dunraven Pass because of their elevation and through the Hayden Valley near Canyon. (When I was there in winter a couple of years ago, the snowpack was 4 feet deep on the roads.)

The road between Gardiner and Cooke City is the only one open all year and the only one plowed all year. The other roads close around mid-November and reopen from mid-April (West Yellowstone entrance) to early May (East entrance). No roads, other than that one through Lamar Valley, are plowed through the winter. Plowing can happen any time the roads are open. I've been there in June when the road through Lamar Valley was closed due to 16 inches of snow until they could plow it.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:17 PM

138 posts, read 266,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiainwyo View Post

yeah, the last 2 storms more or less missed Yellowstone, and hit the central and southern part of the state hardest.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:01 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
I just read in yesterday's paper that they are beginning to plow right now.
The article didn't mention which areas were being plowed, but I suspect it's in 2 places, the entrance closest to Jackson Hole and the Teton Nat. Park and into the park from W. Yellowstone.

This would open the loop to Old Faithful and the major geyser basins.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I just read in yesterday's paper that they are beginning to plow right now.
The article didn't mention which areas were being plowed, but I suspect it's in 2 places, the entrance closest to Jackson Hole and the Teton Nat. Park and into the park from W. Yellowstone.

This would open the loop to Old Faithful and the major geyser basins.
Plowing began on April 1. as of yesterday, the plows from the East entrance had met up with the park plows from the park interior, so that entrance is ready to go on May 3 as scheduled. Plowing from the South entrance hasn't made as much progress within Yellowstone (because they had to go through Teton first) and is scheduled to open on May 10. The West Entrance opens tomorrow at 8 AM. Here's a map showing the progress of the plows. Where are the Plows? - Yellowstone National Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming