Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2014, 06:17 AM

3 posts, read 5,936 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I was looking for some honest feedback and helpful answers. We currently reside in Texas. We are looking to relocate closer to the border as I am originally from Canada. Is there lots of work in this area? My husband is a Machinist/Programmer with 25+ yrs of experience, my son in law is a CDL driver and is looking for a job that does not involve long hauls ( home nightly if possible)and my daughter is a Real estate agent. There would be 8 of us relocating so we would need houses to rent also. How is the school system? I have a granddaughter that would be starting Kindergarten. I appreciate any replies. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 08:36 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
IIRC the unemployment rate for Campbell Co. (Gillette area) is second lowest in the state now at around 4% or 5% so not bad. Those are all good careers for Gillette. Your husband should contact L&H Industrial first. It's a locally owned and based global company. When I moved to Gillette in 1971 it was a small welding shop. Good people own it, and I think the treat their employees well. There are several other machine shops in town, but that's the largest.

Experienced CDL drivers with clean records can pick up jobs easily.

I don't know how the exchange of Wyoming/Texas real estate licenses is. Your daughter can find that out easily enough. At worst she'll have to test again. I'd think she'd need to study Wyoming real estate laws a bit. Oh, and I think she'd have to be sponsored by a broker to test. (Not sure.) I don't think she'd have a problem getting "hired". (Salesmen work 100% on commissions earned.)

Wyoming public schools are excellent and well-funded, and Gillette's are no exception. Gillette offers k-12 plus a 2-year community college. Only Laramie has a 4-year college in the state (UW), but Wyoming's community colleges work with 4-year colleges to offer selected bachelor's degrees, and there's a 4-year college 90 miles east in Spearfish, SD.

I came here 42+ years ago thinking I'd stay for 4-5 years, but the place grew on me. It's a vibrant city with a lot going on. It welcomes transplants with open arms.

I'd say it's a renter's market in Gillette right now, as opposed to what it was only a few years ago. We had a severe shortage of rentals for awhile, and I think developers overbuilt that segment a bit, combined with an economic "slowdown." (Gillette's coal industry is slowing just a little now, thanks to Obama and the DEQ, gas drilling is down some too, but oil production is surging.)

Old 01-06-2014, 08:59 AM

Thank you so much for the answer, it was very helpful!

Old 01-06-2014, 09:18 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,323 times
If you've not visited the area, do so.. Also, if you have pets that will make renting harder (you didn't say)...
I interviewed a few years back for a teaching job in Wright, just south of Gillette..and I will say the schools in the Gillette area are top-notch (well Wyoming schools in general are). There is also an awesome community center in Gillette. If you want I can send a link to some photos I took while visiting there.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:01 AM

Thank you, I would be interested in the link. I grew up in a small town in Saskatchewan (45 miles from the Montana Border) I have been in Texas going on 11 yrs, time for a change. My kids are starting their families now so we want to move closer to the border and Wyoming looks like a beautiful State.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:59 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,219,430 times
I have posted a lot of posts about Gillette. Just do a search for "Gillette" and you should be able to find them. I have gone into great detail about what it is like to live there! Best wishes in your endeavors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming