Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 01:08 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times

Advertisements

Why don't people just mind their own business? This nanny state mentality is going to far. Everybody wantin' to stick their noses in everyone else's business. Sic the government on them!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 08:30 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,174,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Why don't people just mind their own business? This nanny state mentality is going to far. Everybody wantin' to stick their noses in everyone else's business. Sic the government on them!!!

Well you might think it isn't someone's business but let me put it to you this way. You are working hard, and paying your fair share of taxes... but then the government ups your taxes to pay for those who are abusing the system so that they can "level the playing field".... yet your neighbor, who works, yet does not pay taxes is reaping the benefits of your hard work. Is that fair, in your mind?

The money earned from the licensing of the plates is used for Wyoming road maintenance. It is one of the very few higher burdens, but with a low population, it is necessary as the state does NOT charge you state income tax to get this revenue.

This isn't about the nanny state mentality.. it is about being a responsible citizen. There is a difference.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:00 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
^^^^^^^ This! spot on, Froggie Legs!

Old 03-09-2014, 04:08 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Well you might think it isn't someone's business but let me put it to you this way. You are working hard, and paying your fair share of taxes... but then the government ups your taxes to pay for those who are abusing the system so that they can "level the playing field".... yet your neighbor, who works, yet does not pay taxes is reaping the benefits of your hard work. Is that fair, in your mind?

The money earned from the licensing of the plates is used for Wyoming road maintenance. It is one of the very few higher burdens, but with a low population, it is necessary as the state does NOT charge you state income tax to get this revenue.

This isn't about the nanny state mentality.. it is about being a responsible citizen. There is a difference.
Like I said. Worry about yourself. Don't stick your nose in another's business. Let them deal with their own demons.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:23 PM

117 posts, read 526,839 times
I'll take a different stance than everyone else in the last 5 pages:

Why don't you just be a good neighbor, grow a pair, and go ask them about why their vehicles are plated elsewhere? Why all of this going behind the backs of people, going to courthouses, treasurers, police, etc. If they tell you to screw off, then cool, go for it, notify someone higher. But to not even give them a chance to explain? To possibly educate them that what they are doing may be incorrect and they might not know it?

I'm glad my neighbors don't play these games. That's part of what I love about this great state, or at least my corner of it. If they have an issue with me, or a question about what I'm doing, they ask me. And I them. And guess what. 99% of the time, we can fix everything with a handshake.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:09 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,987,904 times
OP, I'm just wondering if you would have pursued it if the out of state tags had been on some older beater type car? It would irritate me too seeing these people with a high end new vehicle and me paying more tax on my older car than they are. But if someone does come around the people will figure it was a neighbor living very close to them that complained. It doesn't make for forging good neighborhood friendships, especially living in a cul-de-sac. I guess I would have just figured they will get stopped eventually for something and let it go. And who's to say the car isn't licensed in the guys fathers name and the neighbor is just listed as a driver on the insurance, or some other reason or loop hole they are using. A hypothetical situation here, if you saw the neighbor had an adult child return to seemingly stay with them and they had been there for over 60 days and not gotten new tags would you report them? I sure wouldn't, I'd figure this person may be having marital problems or lost a job and I wouldn't want to add anymore on.

It's very expensive to license a car in Nebraska too. What gripes me is that those that are barely making it get no breaks. They too are paying more and with a low salary it can be a bigger hit to them to renew than to someone better off. That is what sometimes drove people to license their vehicle in Iowa, which has always been cheaper. They started being more aggressive about it checking tags in apartment complexes and driving around neighborhoods. Salivating over the money they thought they could make. And really a very small percentage did this. I'd rather have the cops out looking for major crimes, put them in the troubled areas, use them in their gang unit or violent crime units, rather than use them like a meter maid.

a42887, this is the day of turning in your neighbor anonymously. People call about someone that hasn't mowed their yard, shoveled, over an animal barking, etc. Rather than just talk to them, maybe they need a hand or are sick. I'd never live in a town again, ya can't choose your neighbors.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:17 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
I think people are looking at this a little wrong.

You wonder why I would stick my nose in other peoples business when they fail to license their vehicles. It's really very simple. It's not jealosy that they are getting away with anything, it's a matter of civic duty. If I saw you stab a neighborkid and run, I would turn you in. If I saw you touch a match to a neighbor's house, I would turn you in. If you choose to drive an unlicensed car, or car licensed elsewhere, you are still breaking the law. Or is there a monitary fine line. I should only turn you in if you steal say $59 worth of stuff, and not turn you in if it's $50?

People have an obligation to fit in with a neighborhood and to become responsible neighbors who are an asset to the community, not a drain on society. What kind of neighborhood, or community would it be if every person there was a drain on society? What are they teaching their kids? What are they contributing to the town, or to the neighborhood? Are their kids soaking up my tax dollars at the local school? Is the fact that they cheat on taxes and as a result my kids don't get particular books because the school doesn't have enough funding? Is that part fair?

Nope, the way I look at it is "Why in the hell is that neighbor pushing the envelope, creating a tense neighborhood, and forcing me to make a call or two to get them to comply with what should be a responsible citizens duty and responsibility?" Kind of makes you wonder what else they are getting away with. They're not much of a neighbor.

You go over and talk to a neighbor about a yapping dog, or a trashy looking place, or a loud sterio.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 03-10-2014 at 12:29 AM..

Old 03-10-2014, 02:35 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,292 times
Stiffnecked I see your point but:I just get real tired of having the law enforced on me and others just walk all over them. If someone doesn't stand/speak up more and more will walk outside the law.
If it's worth it to them to do things like this, well it's worth it to me to bring it to some one's attention that will do something about it.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:52 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
People don't have an obligation to be cash cows for the government.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:12 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
I didn't say that I hadn't already talked to the neighbors......so don't assume things you don't know. Also, I did not make an "anonymous" call, I gave my name. Somehow some people here are making me out to be the "bad guy" when I am not the one breaking the laws!!! In my opinion it is those people who are apathetic to trying to improve their state that make for a poor neighbor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming