Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 11:00 AM

117 posts, read 526,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiainwyo View Post
I didn't say that I hadn't already talked to the neighbors......so don't assume things you don't know. Also, I did not make an "anonymous" call, I gave my name. Somehow some people here are making me out to be the "bad guy" when I am not the one breaking the laws!!! In my opinion it is those people who are apathetic to trying to improve their state that make for a poor neighbor!
I'm not assuming anything. Your post said you don't know your neighbors situation. If you had asked, you would. That's a reasonable inference. (If you did and he didn't share or something, good on you)

If you really left your name, good on you. Now they can choose to make the effort to come talk to you when they find out someone squealed without even talking to them. This is of course assuming the above inference is accurate. If not, then negate this paragraph.

I am far from apathetic. I actually agree with you. They need to register here if they live here. I just strongly believe in handling business at the lowest level first. If that doesn't work, by all means escalate.

Last edited by a42887; 03-10-2014 at 11:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 06:24 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,174,164 times
I have called the authorities a number of times on people who allow their dogs to run loose in the "leash law" town I live in. Half the time I don't know whose dog it is, but that it is running loose and digging in trash cans or doing its business in my yard. My one neighbor just flagged me down tonight when I got home to let me know that another neighbor's son's friends ran over my garbage can and didn't stop to pick it up. I did call the neighbor in question to let her know, and she did say she had just told the kid to "go home." No excuse for bad behavior, and it is no different to be a law abiding citizen in your own community. IF you do not wish to be bothered, buy 500 acres and park your house in the middle and don't consort with anyone. Georgia is doing the right thing and EH is right.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:49 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Interesting to see that Wyoming Business Report today linked to an article (Bloomberg Business Week) specifically about tax fraud/cheats being cracked down on by the various states. The premise is that billions of dollars in taxes are being uncollected around the USA.

One of the primary areas of concern was the reporting of car dealer sales and the correllation between folk buying cars in a low or no-tax state for use/ownership in a state with sales taxes.

The software is in place for all of this data collection, and it's just a matter of implementation by the various states. You can bet that when states such as FL and NV now leading the way on this, that tax authorities in other states will take notice and follow suit to collect on the taxes owed.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:43 PM

16 posts, read 33,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Like I said. Worry about yourself. Don't stick your nose in another's business. Let them deal with their own demons.
I mean no offence. I would hope you never have occassion to suffer any ill will perpetrated towards your family, property or anyone you know.

I see the same indifferent attitudes all over our cities in NY and NJ. Nobody ever sees or hears a thing. Everybody stays quiet in fear of retribution. The violence, theft and disrespect for civil rights and duty continues its downward spiral. The new industry in my county is state prisons, federal prisons and public assistance.

In my southern NJ county under 160,000. We have a dispaportionate amount of illegal aliens. The indifference has even spread through law enforcement. They are allowed to drive with no formal training. They are not licenced, registered or insured. They can only be stopped if a violation is witnessed. In many cases they pay no state or federal taxes. They are schooled for free. They receive in most cases free or discounted doctor or hospital care. The state of NJ will even give them public assistance for each child.

While all this "benevolance" is provided for the underpriviledged, mostly illegal, the burden falls squarely on the working public to pay the tab. Forclosures in my area has all but dessimated our community. The value of my home dropped 200K in 2 years. NJ continue's to be blind to the lost revenues and the expence of "so called" helping the less fortunate

But you cannot keep your head in the sand and then expect fair and equal treatment when it finally affects you personally.

I realize this is off topic and I appologize. My example is merely meant to make everyone think. The more you forgive or ignore, the more it will be abused until there is nothing left to take.

The wife and I have dubbed Wyoming the "leave me alone" state. We like that. Respect the land, thy neighbor and have good will for your fellow man. Don't let the scuflaws ruin Wyoming.

IMO If you don't like a law or rule, then change it. Until then it is the responsibility of each of us to make sure everyone obeys the ones that are on the books.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:11 PM

17 posts, read 22,210 times
I agree with doing your civic duty. I severely dislike those that feel they don't have to follow the rules while the rest of us try to be good citizens.

They actually advertise on the TV here that you MUST get a WY tag even if you are only working here temporarily (over 90 days I think) or face fines. Do they advertise it elsewhere? My SO's coworker got a warning for an out of state plate.

I was happy to switch over, my car insurance went down $700 a year (no joke)!!

Old 03-17-2014, 07:18 PM

325 posts, read 577,315 times
Quote:
I have a big pet peeve that I am wondering whether anyone out there knows how to solve. The recent post about car tags made me ask this question. I live in a little neighborhood cul-de-sac where there are quite a few residents in a small area. It is easy to see which vehicles people drive, etc. I am not trying to cause problems with neighbors.....I am just wondering how law enforcement enforces the law about licensing in Wyoming. And what can we do about it? It just isn't "fair" to those of us who do what is right and isn't fair to the state that it isn't getting the monies that it rightly deserves from these citizens. Any ideas out there????
If you don't have a job and/or don't have children in your schools, why would anyone want to change to more expensive plates?

Old 03-18-2014, 10:32 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieJensen View Post
If you don't have a job and/or don't have children in your schools, why would anyone want to change to more expensive plates?
Because it's the law.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Because it's the law.
It's against the law to drive with an open container
It's against the law to drive without a seatbelt
It's against the law to DWUI

People do it every day. WHP is spread so thin, they generally arrive after the accident - when it's too late to ticket them, because they are dead or maimed.

It's also against the law to buy a resident fishing/hunting license when you're not one

Old 03-18-2014, 05:02 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieJensen View Post
It's pretty simple really. The money collected from license plates pay for a lot of ammenities in the state. Whether you work, or have kids, you still use those ammenities, so it's only fair that you help pay for those. The state is pretty fair when they allow you to move here, and they give you time to find a job and go to work, and then require you to plate your vehicle. If you start work, you have to be plated, and even then, they are not going to follow you around town waiting to see if you go put in 8 hours somewhere.

It's just wrong when people move here, work, and are actually taking advantage of the ammenities that we pay for, and yet they are not willing to contribute.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
It's just wrong when people move here, work, and are actually taking advantage of the ammenities that we pay for, and yet they are not willing to contribute.
But that's my point - if you don't work there or put your children in the system. Amenities - the no income tax bit, but you pay high fees for vehicle tags. I paid income tax in GA, NM & CO, when we were living in WY. My tags cost very little. My children were educated in those states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming