Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 7,033 times

Advertisements

Its possible that I may move to Sheridan, Wyoming for an lpn position at the VA. I currently live in ohio. Someone please tell me the honest to God truth about what it's like for black folks in Wyoming. The census says that Sheridan is 22% black population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 05:13 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
You read that census data wrong. It's .22%, not 22%, so of the 15,804 residents, about 35 are African American. It's not likely that you'll find one of those 35 on C-D. For the most part, Wyomingites don't care what color your skin happens to be, but if you're wanting to socialize with others of your color you'll be faced with a pretty small social circle.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:18 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
I can answer your questions about the VA, but not being black, I can't answer the rest of your question.

The VA is a large one, outstanding staff there. I have seen a lot of black patients, but don't recall any on staff.

The census data is kind of swayed in that we have a college and and has a good mix of races at the college, but they wouldn't show up on the census. Same with patients at the VA.

The town of Sheridan only has a few, but I've never heard a bad comment or heard of any problems with race.

There are only 2 VA hospitals in the state but there are several clinics. So patients in other parts of the state are brought to Sheridan's VA. Unfortunately, due to health, I've spent a lot of time at the VA and know it too well.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:53 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,372,008 times
I agree that Sheridan is fairly live and let live as far as race goes. However, and don't go booting me for being un-pc but this is the truth and unfair as it is, there are two black families in town that have unsavory members and you could get lumped in with them. Just laying it out there.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:20 PM

13 posts, read 26,230 times
I moved to Wyoming feeling very nervous about the same issue, though I am half black and really don't look that black at all. Anyway, aside from some racist attitudes I ran into in Rock Springs and a little bit in other areas mostly from older people, I found the state to be big on live and let live. I think anybody moving to Wyoming will have a wonderful time if they approach people as they would like to be approached. The biggest problem would probably be feeling culturally isolated if you are accostomed to african american culture. I hope it worked out well for you OP!

Old 05-19-2012, 02:42 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
If you're a genuine, down to earth, hard working person you will be accepted in Wyoming.

Let me be the first one to say welcome to Wyoming.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:32 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,782,439 times
Admittedly, the population of AAs in Sheridan is small, but the ladies I know who are black report no difficulties related to race.

I agree with everyone about Wyoming being a live and let live area. And I will take the opportunity to be the second to welcome you to Wyoming.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:10 PM

97 posts, read 183,646 times
I work at the VA here in Sheridan. It's a pretty nice place to work and God knows we can always use good help.

As far as black people, the only ones I have met since I moved here are patients at the VA. Oh, and one guy who always used to ride past my house on his bike and wave in the afternoons. I have heard a few stupid racist jokes but to be totally honest, there are just not enough "minorities" (I hate that word) to really tell one way or the other. I don't think it would be a problem but that's just a gut feeling.

Just a heads up, there is virtually no "city" entertainment here, if you want to recreat, it's all outdoors. Also, if you are a foodie, like my wife, you will be disappointed. But if you are like me, and just want to relax and not worry about crime or any other big city problems you could do a helluva lot worse.

...I just got out of the army not long ago so it's really weird to see nothing but white people all day...

Old 05-21-2012, 03:52 PM

6,260 posts, read 5,067,187 times
The African American population in Cody (as with the rest of WY) is also very very low. During my time there I never felt that anyone of any race (that either lived in town or came into town during the busy tourist season) was viewed as or treated in any kind of negative way.

I have lived all over the world and all over the country and have heard many times that one place or another was "live and let live". Sometimes that has been true and sometimes it really has not been true. In Wyoming it is true.

My experience everywhere I traveled in Wyoming (and in Cody where I lived) was that the criteria for acceptance in that community was that you were a good, decent, hard working person.

Wyoming people like their state the way it is and don't want people trying to change it. They are quiet - they talk quietly and smile easily. They are proud of their ruggedness, their isolation and their independence.

If you have the same values, the same ideals, the same work ethic, you will do fine in Wyoming (IMO) no matter what race you are.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:28 AM

24 posts, read 55,475 times
I have been in wyoming for a year I have a half black son. I have zero friends and even though he is social with school and sports he has zero friends that acctualy come over and play or invite him over. My other children recieve party invites all year he never recieved one. He is 10 years old and to sweet to even realize. There has also been times we have been followed while shopping to the point i made walmart do an investigation. I struggle to keep my mouth shut constantly this is a child.!!So imagine being an adult. Its not predjudice it is still a stereo typic unknown yet i go to town and see people like meth heads. I have lived in california, new mexico and colorado this by far has been a strange expieriece. Please do the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming