Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 16,529 times

Advertisements

We are new to the Big Horn Basin and not used to rattlesnakes. We want to go tent camping and hiking in the Pryor Mountains and the Big Horn Mountains. Is there a certain temperature/altitude where we will not have to worry as much about them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 11:54 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
Can't say definitively. But from personal experience growing up in the area, I encountered lots of rattle snakes in areas below 6000', such as the Big Horn Lake Recreation Area near Lovell and Lake De Smet over by Sheridan.

I don't recall every encountering one while up in the Big Horn Mountains, but when we were out doors we pretty much always assumed they might be around.

The long freezing winters with heavy layers of snow in the mountains is probably far less hospitable habitat then the lower foothills where the snow is not as thick or constant.

This map appears to indicated most of mid to Eastern Wyoming is range for various rattlesnake subspecies. http://www.nps.gov/brca/naturescienc...keRangeMap.gif

Bryce Canyon National Park - Great Basin Rattlesnake (U.S. National Park Service)

It describes the Habitat as: Habitat: Rocky outcrops, talus slopes, stony canyons, prairie dog towns; below 11,000'

We often found them in hay fields around Lovell, Wyoming, when picking up and hauling hay bales. Encounters were so common we took to a habit of rolling the bale towards us before picking it up. So we could see if there was anything under it on the other side.

Last edited by CptnRn; 04-11-2010 at 12:19 PM..

Old 04-11-2010, 12:05 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
Here is another map for the Prairie Rattlesnake range.

Prairie rattlesnake Facts Sheet - Canadian Geographic Kids!

It appears there is a sliver of land approximating the Big Horn Mountains that is not included, as well as SW and far West Wyoming. It looks like you should expect them in all of the Pryor Mountains, highest point - elevation 6,417 ft

Last edited by CptnRn; 04-11-2010 at 12:15 PM..

Old 04-16-2010, 05:45 PM

207 posts, read 714,492 times
I'm no expert, but don't they get out of your when they hear you coming? As long as you are in your tent they won't be able to crawl into your sleeping bag. Its the bears I worry about.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:36 AM

76 posts, read 258,974 times
Wherever you go it'll be a good idea just to keep a good eye out for them. If you're really worried a pair of snake gaiters aren't too expensive and can double as good protection for your legs if you're doing much hiking. I've never come across one on top of the mountain here but I haven't ever spent a TON of time camping on the top of the mountain (Big Horns) either. We used to live right smack on the face of the mountain so we were already on the mountain. That said though our ranch used to go from about 7,000ft down to 5,000 ft and depending on the year we could have snakes everywhere or hardly see a one. I've run into them in the middle of October on a 40-50 degree day. So it's just good advice to keep an eye out for them like all the other wildlife. Generally if they can avoid you they will, you're too big for them to eat and to them you're something big enough that might eat them. Although with their camouflage if you happen to come across one and it doesn't rattle you stand a pretty good chance of just walking by the thing and not having a clue it was ever there.

Just keep an eye and ear out, be wary, and use plenty of common sense. They're reptiles so they're cold blooded, in the mornings they'll likely be hiding out in a spot of sunshine basking to warm up, during hot afternoons they'll be hiding out where its cool.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:12 PM

207 posts, read 714,492 times
My advice is to make yourself heard. Stomp the ground if in high grass. Carry a stick. I was even thinking about getting some rimshot for my 9mm. I think its just like shotgun shells that work in 9mm or 45.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:50 PM

375 posts, read 1,381,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sastana View Post
We are new to the Big Horn Basin and not used to rattlesnakes. We want to go tent camping and hiking in the Pryor Mountains and the Big Horn Mountains. Is there a certain temperature/altitude where we will not have to worry as much about them?
There was joke going around that rattlers wouldn't be found above 8,000-ft - it's not true - seen many all the way up to 9800-ft in the 'tooth. But never saw any in the 'Horns, a few in the Pryors mainly near haystacks and farm sheds. Never encountered one in Thoroughfare where we lived, but heard "stories" from backpackers going to/from Yellowstone about them. Saw more on the Diamond Basin road out sunning themselves than anywhere else.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,923 times
Default rattlers

just got back from hunting deer south Rawlins..encountered a rattler at 7000 feet. read that have been found at higher elevations in Oregon

Old 10-13-2015, 05:08 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,453 times
I spent three summers riding forest-permit @ 5 miles southwest of Burgess-Junction, in the Bighorns...covered ALOT of fencelines (on foot and on horseback) and never once encountered anything bigger than a little garter-snake, and that was at roughly 8900 feet (according to US Forest-Circus topo-map) so I think most rattlers (especially this time of year, now that morning frost is starting to show up on windshields in the past week) would be looking for a place to curl-up for the winter.

Shuffle and stomp your feet when you walk (at 6000 ft and below) through high-grass...that usually alerts them to your presence, and wear a Velcro-attached bell (found at almost any hunting-supply store) on your person...keep up a conversation & talk to each other when hiking through wilderness; everything but the most 'aggressive' wild-life will likely find 'somewhere else to be' once they hear human-activity heading their way.

Bear spray is a must.

If you're packing-heat, make sure it's hollow-point and above .357 caliber or you'll just make 'em mad.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:54 PM

992 posts, read 2,372,727 times
We were hiking around Barry's Landing (Montana, yes) and saw several rattlesnakes. They didn't mess with us, and were mostly hiding but they were there!

We were at about 5500-6000 ft, close to the Crow.

No bear activity at all, which was nice, but we were well aware of rattlers. I think if you stay in designated camp areas you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming