Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 07:38 PM

144 posts, read 628,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Ok, so far we have: (compiled everybody's input) Don't forget, we'll probably need a trailer to haul it in. haha

Parka
Leather gloves with liners
Insulated Bibs/coveralls
Candles 6-8
Energy Bars
Breakfast bars
Empty Cup or couple of bean cans
Road Flares
Yellow Rotating Light
GPS
Chain or Strap
Relfective Triangles
Chains or Cables
Jumper Cables
Snow brush
Ice Scraper
Watch caps or Balaclava
Flashlights
Toilet Paper
Paper Towel
Shovel
Sand
Fuel
Blankets
Matches, waterproof
whistle
duck tape, neon orange
flairs
weather radio/cb handheld
gun
bic lighter
basic first aid kit
extra socks
hand/foot warmers
atlas
reading books
Hunting/survival knife

I left a couple things out because they would be personal preference and not needed by everybody for the winter. Anything else?
What a great thread! I thought I was well prepared for a winter emergency but the various posters and Elkhunter's synopsis really showed me where I had some holes. Thanks to all for your input. And now if I may humbly make some suggestions of my own.

Toilet paper-- I can't believe I was so stupid as to overlook such a basic need. Before putting a roll in the trunk, though, I used a vacuum food sealer to suck the excess air out. The roll now takes up much less space and it'll be clean and dry when I need it.

Throw a couple of immodium tablets and some Pepto-Bismol tablets into that medical kit. Most of the store-bought kits I've seen are little more than a Band-Aid collection. BTW, I've seen some nasty wounds closed up with duct tape until you can get to a hospital.

I had a large tin can that once contained some specialty popped corn. I can stuff many of my supplies into the can and the top goes back on tight. Because it's metal, you can melt lots of snow in it, should the need arise.

I also keep some plastic bags on hand. I don't know why. maybe I have a plastic fetish.

I always carry a quart of oil and a bottle of transmission fluid, plus a couple of bungee cords.

If you can, take a first aid/CPR class, and throw a small first aid manual in with those paperbacks.

Beware of those cheapie plastic folding snow shovels, as I've had one fail on me in a pinch. I now carry a small sturdy spade.

The CB hand-held seems like a good idea, but I've seen the prices drop on those FRS radios to the point where I'm considering one. However I don't know if there are enough of them in use so that I could actually raise someone in an emergency. If anyone knows about FRS radios, I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks again to everyone for all the great ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 07:49 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Good addition. Immodium or pepto. I went back and added them to Post #18. Don't want to keep posting the list over and over. But after a page or two, I'll move the most current list up.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:41 PM

59 posts, read 239,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
In my bag:

Parka (Sub zero)
Elk Skin gloves with liners
Insulated Bib Overalls
4 standard candles (approx 1.5 inches across and 4 inches long)
Half dozen energy bars
Empty 16 oz cup

However, standard equip that I always carry.

Road flares 6
Yellow rotating light, plugs into the cigarette lighter
GPS, hand held, battery or plug into cigarette lighter
Reflective triangles 3
Chains (yes even in the summer, for mud, winter for snow)
Log chain 40 ft.

Some of this stuff is self explainatory, some not so much.
Candles are kept for warmth. Yes, one candle burning can keep you from freezing to death. But they eat up oxygen. Crack a window on each side about a half inch (circulation of sorts)

Empty 16 oz cup. Scoop up some snow, hold it close to the candle and the snow will melt and you have drinking water.

Yellow rotating light. Stuck on the road? Maybe somebody else isn't. Nice to suction cup it to the roof so people have a better chance of seeing you. Don't just rely on flashers, snow can cover them pretty easily.

Most important is the GPS system. When you get into a blinding snow storm and your running along at 10-15 miles per hour it's pretty easy to loose track of where your at. Where's the nearest town? Where's the next exit? Where's the interstate? Turn on that GPS system and realize you're only a mile and a half from the next town. Or realize you just passed the exit to the last town a mile and a half ago. It'll tell you where your at.

There's times when you almost want to give up. GPS says 7 miles kinda gives you some hope. Or you slide off in the ditch and can't move. GPS shows your only 200 yards from an exit to town and remembering that town from previous trips you remember there's a truck stop right at the top of the off ramp.

I also carry a spare air filter. In a blinding snowstorm I've had snow get sucked into the air intake and freeze against the filter and shut off my air. Vehicle stalls. Slap that other filter in there and try it again. Take the first filter and set it on the floor boards next to the heater vent to melt the ice off of it so it's ready should the other one do the same thing.

There's lots of things you can do. Know the distances between towns. Know where that next town is. If it's doubtful, don't go, stop at the town your at. I've even reset my odometer (trip) as I pass towns. That way I have a solid reference to where I'm at and how far I have to go to get to the next town. Can't glance at the normal odometer and expect to remember what it said 30 minutes ago.

But pretty much, the HP are going to take care of you. They've gotten real cautious about conditions and if they're iffy, they close the interstate. But secondary roads don't have the luxury of gates. They rely on the radio announcing the road should not be traveled on. But if you're not tuned to a local station your not going to get that info and there's not enough Troopers out there to guard all the secondary roads.

If you get stuck off the road and don't have any idea where your at? Stick with the vehicle. Don't forget to get out every 30 minutes or so (depending on how bad it's snowing and blowing) and clear the snow away from your exhaust pipe in back. Snow gets piled up around it and the fumes will be coming into the car you won't even know it. You'll just go to sleep and never wake up.

Best word of caution? If it looks bad, get a motel, rent a movie, pour a glass of wine and relax.
Marine flares work real well and can be hand held if necessary.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:00 PM

59 posts, read 239,933 times
Check on a GMRS RADIO as they transmit farther the extra cost can save your life. Read the instructions as only certain channels will transmit on. you can google GMRS General Mobile Radio Service for information on them.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzbzlady View Post
Check on a GMRS RADIO as they transmit farther the extra cost can save your life. Read the instructions as only certain channels will transmit on. you can google GMRS General Mobile Radio Service for information on them.
Wow. I went to that web site and looked at about a gazillion forms you have to fill out and apply for. Then I looked up fee's and found that you have to calculate based on 2.6% of the 2005 fee's increasing each year. But after about 15 minutes I couldn't find what it costs to license.

Do you have one? If so, could you give us an idea of cost? What's the distance and who will you talk to. I noticed REACT uses them. I used to be a member of the REACT in Rapid City, but before GMRS's. I also noticed that REACT only monitors and uses during special occasions. When I was in REACT, a blizzard was a special occasion. We had a watch list so that Channel 9 was monitored 24 hours a day by at least 2 people. One on the east side of town and one on the west. But during a blizzard, at least 6 or 8 people monitored for the duration.

But with this GMRS, who would you contact and how far away could you expect to get with it?

Old 02-17-2008, 09:50 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzbzlady View Post
GMRS radios are pretty much worthless for anything more than a very few miles of line-of-sight transmission. They are primarily designed for use by individual family members to communicate with other family members, or for limited business use. I don't consider them a good "emergency" radio.

A far better option is to become licensed as a "No Code" amateur radio operator. There is a very good amateur radio repeater network in most areas, including Wyoming, mostly in the 2-meter band. Having a 2-meter handheld 5 watt radio will allow access to repeaters (and thus other hams) in much of Wyoming. If you get a 50 watt mobile 2-meter radio mounted in your vehicle with a good antenna, you can reach mountain-top repeaters that are quite distant, which is better yet. For example, with my mobile 2-meter radio, I could drive a couple of miles south of Cheyenne and reach the repeater on Cheyenne Mountain 170 miles away line-of-sight southwest of Colorado Springs, Colorado. From the same location, I could open the repeater on Laramie Peak to the north, nearly a hundred miles away.

It's very comforting to have this communication ability, especially in remote areas of the Rocky Mountain West where cell service can be quite spotty. For more information on amateur radio, go here: ARRLWeb: ARRL Home Page Most amateur radio clubs also are part of REACT and SKYWARN, and generally have "emergency" nets set up to monitor amateur frequencies during weather emergencies or natural disasters.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:53 AM

471 posts, read 1,509,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixofone View Post
Toilet paper...Before putting a roll in the trunk, though, I used a vacuum food sealer to suck the excess air out. The roll now takes up much less space and it'll be clean and dry when I need it.
Thanks for sharing the vacuum idea.

I remember when I lived in TX, going over to a friend's house. Her family was really into self-reliance and emergency prep. I was amazed when she showed me their 72hr kits. Everything was vacuum packed. In plastic baggies. This was a good reminder for me, thank you sixofone.

Then maybe we won't need that trailer to haul everything in...

Taking a 1st aid/CPR class is a great idea too. My mom is a nurse (DON - can't help mentioning that, I'm just so proud of her...) and also certifies CNA's on the side. I should ask her to give us all a run through when we visit this summer. It's been awhile for me...

Something else I thought I'd mention. They have CERT programs in most states. I hadn't heard of these till recently, when my mom told me about it. She took the training a few months ago. A good way to get training (I believe it's free) and if you're the type that would probably jump in and help during a disaster, this brings some organization to it. They worked in teams to assess (real people pretending to be victims), and then provide aid. One time she said it was completely dark and she had to move around bodies, assess them individually, then shout up to someone recording the information. Very hands on training. Sure, there were several with medical or rescue backgrounds, but she also said there were just your average everyday citizens; businessman, plumber, housewife...

Here's the info on it:

https://www.citizencorps.gov/cert/

And for Wyoming specifically...

https://www.citizencorps.gov/cc/Cert...cert=&state=WY

Glad to know they have a group in Campbell County.

We'll be driving up to Sheridan mid-March. I'll be taking the PRAXIS exam for my teaching license (wish me luck ... actually, I am studying hard, it's the pedagogy stuff though, wish it was more subject content). Anyway... don't really like having to drive long distances in the winter, where you have to be somewhere, no matter what, at a specific time (7:30am!) so we are driving down the night before. My husband is great to do that for me, stay in a hotel, make sure we're not having to hurry.

Hope the weather is good.

Either way we'll be sure to have a lot of this stuff all ready in our car before then.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:51 PM
TGM

100 posts, read 592,934 times
You guys have put together a great list. I wish everyone would be as prepared.

I just wanted to comment on the CB radio that was briefly mentioned. If you travel much during the winter, this would be a very wise investment. Most all Wyoming State Troopers monitor either ch 19 or ch 9. And even if there is no Trooper near you, if you are traveling on or near a highway, there is most likely going to be a trucker that will hear you on Ch 19.

Also, about 80% of the Troopers have GPS in the car, which should be 100% within a month or two. If you have a portable GPS and all you can figure out is the displayed latitude and longitude - this is enough for a Trooper to find you, which can be VERY helpful if you slid off the highway or into an embankment that prevents your car from being seen from the highway. You can get them for under $100 now.

Stay safe out there!

TGM
Wyoming State Trooper

Old 02-26-2008, 02:20 PM

510 posts, read 1,459,943 times
Small, warm dogs.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:40 PM

I moved this forward so we didn't have to keep going back to see it. This is the current list as of 26 Feb.

Parka
Leather gloves with liners
Insulated Bibs/coveralls
Candles 6-8
Energy Bars
Breakfast bars
Empty Cup or couple of bean cans
Road Flares
Yellow Rotating Light
GPS
Chain or Strap
Relfective Triangles
Chains or Cables
Jumper Cables
Snow brush
Ice Scraper
Watch caps or Balaclava
Flashlights
Toilet Paper
Paper Towel
Shovel
Sand
Fuel
Blankets
Matches, waterproof
whistle
duck tape, neon orange
flairs
weather radio/cb handheld
gun
bic lighter
basic first aid kit
extra socks
hand/foot warmers
atlas
reading books
Hunting/survival knife
immodium tablets or pepto tablets

I left a couple things out because they would be personal preference and not needed by everybody for the winter. Anything else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming