Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 09:52 AM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Like Joe33 says - There are a lot of high end cars here. And, many who love their classic cars/trucks.

Most think any extra consideration having a high end vehicle takes is worth it.
My thinking is that Montana is similar to Wyoming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 10:00 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
main out fit is a 2002 duramax 3/4 ton crew cab... like yesterday hauled a new air compressor from Idaho Falls, took wool to Tooele UT Tuesday. Brought home freezer and Bed from son's apartment in Laramie. Couple Years ago took a sleigh from Jackson to Hullet for a Auction . Cynthia Bought it so took it to Laramie dropped son off for college came home , sleigh had done a 1500 mile trip in Sept. Last year brought home a ton of baling twine from Cheyenne after a ranch tour that had received an award. Even if not hauling something it our trip vehicle with almost 400,000 miles it still get between 19-25MPG of fuel.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:06 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
main out fit is a 2002 duramax 3/4 ton crew cab... like yesterday hauled a new air compressor from Idaho Falls, took wool to Tooele UT Tuesday. Brought home freezer and Bed from son's apartment in Laramie. Couple Years ago took a sleigh from Jackson to Hullet for a Auction . Cynthia Bought it so took it to Laramie dropped son off for college came home , sleigh had done a 1500 mile trip in Sept. Last year brought home a ton of baling twine from Cheyenne after a ranch tour that had received an award. Even if not hauling something it our trip vehicle with almost 400,000 miles it still get between 19-25MPG of fuel.
You dont have the LB9 injector problems?

Old 07-01-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
You dont have the LB9 injector problems?
have replaced injectors twice, Howes Lubricator every fill now . if they need replaced will go with the oversized. Other then that not much shop time.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:54 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,276 times
Hauling round-bales with same truck outfitted with Dew-eze hydraulic bed...can't tell what she's returning for mileage, but compared to Ford 7.3 powerstroke, the Duramax feels 'stubborn' especially going uphill. The only Dodge's I've driven were (older) V8 Magnum and Hemi, and they were better than the Duramax in many ways, but I still prefer older Fords (97 through 99 (ish) for everyday/any-weather ranch-work. Chevy & Dodge (or Ford 6.0 Powerstroke) are great for hwy. Have heard very little about full-size Toyota and Nissan trucks but imagine they lead U.S. trucks in fuel mileage and fit & finish/quality-control...but parts/repair would be higher ? ?

Old 07-01-2016, 09:45 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Ltdumbear wrote: "Have heard very little about full-size Toyota and Nissan trucks but imagine they lead U.S. trucks in fuel mileage and fit & finish/quality-control...but parts/repair would be higher ? ?"

So far, these trucks seriously lag behind the domestic pick-ups in capability and durability.

From the perspective of most utility pick-up truck users; ie, those who actually use their trucks for work & hauling chores, these trucks are far behind the domestic marques. You'll rarely see one of these at a worksite, sale barn, or at a supplier getting a load of materials & supplies.

As well, they do not "lead U.S. trucks in fuel mileage" nor "fit & finish". In fact, the poor fuel economy of these rigs has been one of their primary downfalls in the marketplace. Fit and finish is not particularly better than the domestic trucks, either, even when you compare interior appointments and conveniences ... unless you're comparing them to domestic trucks of a decade or more ago.

From the perspective of a farmer/rancher/contractor who actually uses my trucks as workhorses and load haulers, these marques were designed and built to appeal to the vanity truck owner who rarely uses it for more than personal transportation.

And yes, they are more expensive to work on and the parts are higher priced without achieving any notable improvement over the domestic trucks.

One of the notable aspects of these trucks that you find in the professional trade journals is the announcements that they're making changes to make them more competitive with the domestic marques. So far, they haven't done so. Which is why you'll not see very many of them even in casual user's hands even in RV parks hauling modest trailers or at boat ramps ....

Old 07-01-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
Hauling round-bales with same truck outfitted with Dew-eze hydraulic bed...can't tell what she's returning for mileage, but compared to Ford 7.3 powerstroke, the Duramax feels 'stubborn' especially going uphill. The only Dodge's I've driven were (older) V8 Magnum and Hemi, and they were better than the Duramax in many ways, but I still prefer older Fords (97 through 99 (ish) for everyday/any-weather ranch-work. Chevy & Dodge (or Ford 6.0 Powerstroke) are great for hwy. Have heard very little about full-size Toyota and Nissan trucks but imagine they lead U.S. trucks in fuel mileage and fit & finish/quality-control...but parts/repair would be higher ? ?
trailer load of cows and I stay right with traffic , even over most hills and passes. love the Allison tranny going over mountain passes, load or no load sure saves brakes

Old 07-02-2016, 03:30 AM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Ltdumbear wrote: "Have heard very little about full-size Toyota and Nissan trucks but imagine they lead U.S. trucks in fuel mileage and fit & finish/quality-control...but parts/repair would be higher ? ?"

So far, these trucks seriously lag behind the domestic pick-ups in capability and durability.

From the perspective of most utility pick-up truck users; ie, those who actually use their trucks for work & hauling chores, these trucks are far behind the domestic marques. You'll rarely see one of these at a worksite, sale barn, or at a supplier getting a load of materials & supplies.

As well, they do not "lead U.S. trucks in fuel mileage" nor "fit & finish". In fact, the poor fuel economy of these rigs has been one of their primary downfalls in the marketplace. Fit and finish is not particularly better than the domestic trucks, either, even when you compare interior appointments and conveniences ... unless you're comparing them to domestic trucks of a decade or more ago.

From the perspective of a farmer/rancher/contractor who actually uses my trucks as workhorses and load haulers, these marques were designed and built to appeal to the vanity truck owner who rarely uses it for more than personal transportation.

And yes, they are more expensive to work on and the parts are higher priced without achieving any notable improvement over the domestic trucks.

One of the notable aspects of these trucks that you find in the professional trade journals is the announcements that they're making changes to make them more competitive with the domestic marques. So far, they haven't done so. Which is why you'll not see very many of them even in casual user's hands even in RV parks hauling modest trailers or at boat ramps ....
I am not a truck person or have that kind of lifestyle for a working truck. My working days are gone if they even existed for what these real trucks were made for. I prefer to have a smoother riding suspension that a luxury car can provide so it is more relief for my back and neck problems.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:13 AM

99 posts, read 149,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post

Very interesting. Not to get too far off topic, but I owned a 2012 and 2008 Tundra. After having owned both F-150s and whatever Chevy 1/2 ton they were offering at the time, I can safely say I would take the Tundra over any other 1/2 gasser on the market today.

In the towing department, the 5.7 Tundra would blow away the Ford or Chevy, and absolutely embarrass the Dodge built around the same block. My 2012 Tundra would happily haul 10K+ lbs across the state as fast as I wanted, or up the mountains in the same fashion. A lot of that had to do with the 6 speed transmission, but the performance as also in stopping and other control factors.

Using the truck off road (I worked for service companies and traveled 1000 miles a week, mostly off road) was again an embarrassment for the other company trucks. The Tundra has a FAR more advanced limited slip system as well as the capability to turn it off when needed (clear mud from treads). We were able to get the Tundras through far deeper mud and snow obstacles that the other trucks with similar tires would not even touch.

Then take into account the service and Toyota maintenance process, it was no contest. I was always a Ford person until getting to put the Tundras through their paces. They aren't perfect, but nothing is. However when it comes to brute towing power, maintenance, and off road capability, I have yet to see another gas 1/2 ton which can keep up.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:20 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Wyoming medic ... Happy to hear that you had a good experience with your Tundra truck.

But when I was traveling the Rocky Mountain region 2011 - 2015 as a manufacturer's rep calling upon automotive service shops ... That was not generally the case. I saw a fair number of those vehicles in for unscheduled downtime repairs that were rather pricey.

Having been involved with the auto/transportation/fleet biz for over 50 years now, one of the main indicators for me is seeing the acceptance and use of a vehicle series in fleet use. This is the "proving grounds" for a vehicle/engine series where the fleet owners have a vested interest in performance and cost/value over the service life of the vehicles. This is an extremely competitive marketplace and word travels fast among the users. If Toyota had a far better vehicle than the competition

... especially in multi-vehicle fleet purchase/operations ... you can bet that the operators would be flocking to the superior vehicle in droves. Money talks to these people, they are very bottom line oriented. Do keep in mind that fleet purchases are a very competitive playing field as the manufacturers seek out sales opportunities.

So far, I've yet to see such a switch to Tundra's in the fleet biz.

Again, congratulations on having enjoyed your Tundra use experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming