Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2008, 04:00 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,343 times

Advertisements

So we went apartment hunting this weekend, and the only place that has an opening wanted copies of our drivers licenses, social security cards, and a copy of our daughters birth certificate. I don't think it's odd that we questioned why she needed copies of all these things. (Especially since she said she keeps them on file.)

Does anyone know if this is even legal? I'd be more than happy to give her my ssn and dl # so she can run a credit check, and I'm ok with letting her see my DL so she knows I am who I say I am. But I don't think it's necessary for her to have copies of this information at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 04:49 PM

38 posts, read 144,448 times
I could understand an apartment needing 2 forms of i.d. from you and your husband but your daughters birth cerficate? The only thing I can think of is that perhaps you were looking at 'section 8' housing, or some other gov't subsidized type housing in which case they probably would ask for all that info. Reason being, they would base your rent on your income and family size and they would need to verify that your daughter is in fact your daughter. Yeah some people try to play the system.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:42 PM

269 posts, read 829,396 times
I also find this to be very strange. And if it was subsidiesd housing she would have asked for a earning record of some type? My sister has rentals and all she asks for is to meet you and have you sign a renters agreement which she found on the net. Very stange indeed! Good luck hope you find a nice place.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:11 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,343 times
Thanks! We've been in the same place for over two years. We are pretty good renters, always pay on time or early, never complain, and my husband can do most general repairs. (He even changes our landlords oil in their car...) I wonder if it is subsidized housing... they are building subsidized housing right behind where these places are. At this point we're thinking of going to a homeowner and asking them if we could do a lease option or something.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:05 AM

38 posts, read 175,993 times
Default SS numbers

According to Metro Housing, one does not have to give a SS# on a rental application, but it speeds up the process of checking your credit report. That is your legal right, but landlords will not tell you this. Does your child have a SS#? Perhaps the birth certificate provided the info the landlord needed. Weird! (I use to work for a Real Estate company in Oregon.) Requirements also vary by type of property management business.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:25 PM

471 posts, read 1,508,831 times
Yeah, red flags would be going up for me too. I don't hand my social security number out lightly. And copies? I don't think so. You might want to pass on this one. And your daughter's birth certificate. Even stranger. The only thing you should need that for is public school, right? Good luck.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:29 AM
TGM

100 posts, read 592,854 times
Many apartment complexes where I came from required a copy of your drivers license.

I don't know about providing a copy of your SSN, but it is getting more often that companies are no longer relying only upon your drivers license to provide proof of citizenship. A couple of states are issuing drivers licenses to illegal aliens. If the apartment complex is owned by a company basied in a state (such as Nevada) that puts heavy penalties on them for renting to illegals, they are going to have company policies to make sure it doesn't happen. Wyoming is not a "sanctuary state", and the extra steps required of you may be an attempt to insure your citizenship.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:18 AM

610 posts, read 3,319,775 times
It is illegal for an apartment complex to copy your driver's license.
They can record the information - but it is illegal to copy it.
I'm not absolutely certain on the other information as my wife takes care of all that - and I'll not wake her at this time.
We manage apartments and did so in Wyoming for many years. It is against Federal law.
Feel free to contact HUD. Their regional office for Wyoming is in Denver.
If this complex has rent-subsidies available to renters, find out which agency funds the rentals and also contact that agency.
This is supposed to be common knowledge among ALL property-managers in the United States. Word does not always get around so well ... and some folks choose to ignore ... the Word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming