Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:12 AM

4 posts, read 11,308 times

Advertisements

We are headed to Thermop and found tickets into Denver much cheaper than Billings. But having never been there before, we are unaware of the drive. How are the roads from Denver to Thermop at the end of March? I have neck problems so I'd rather not take a long trip if it is icy, super slow moving, or really curvy. Estimation of time travel for both? Thanks for any info/advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 12:04 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
In good weather ... clear and dry roads ... DIA to Cheyenne, approx 2.5 hrs, Cheyenne to Casper, approx 2.75 hrs, Casper to Themopolis, approx 1.75 hrs.

Some folks will "push" this trip up I-25 to Casper and then Hwy 20 to Thermo ... and do it a little quicker, perhaps saving a 1/2 hour or a little more. But you can count on 6 hours of driving time if there isn't any traffic or adverse road conditions.

OTOH, the end of March is right in the middle of the snowiest portion of our winter. It's possible that you'll encounter everything and anything from severe clear to blizzard/white out conditions to iced up roads to road closures ... in Northern Colorado as well as up the I-25 corridor in Wyoming, and other roads in a large area. With your planned trip weeks away, it's difficult to forecast anything.

Keep in mind that the roads from Billings South to Thermopolis are subject to the same weather pattern and possible adverse driving conditions.

Sorry I don't have a better outlook for you, but you might want to check the Wyoming road condition reports on the WYDOT website before heading out. Definitely have a emergency road kit ... warm extra clothing, food, beverages, and so forth if there's any chance of adverse weather forecast during the time of your trip. Don't hesitate to stop at a good opportunity if you encounter bad weather, preferably in one of the major towns along your route rather than continuing on into the face of adverse conditions. You may be "stuck" in a very small one-motel town or at a truckstop without a place to stay if things get really bad.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:06 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
Having lived in Thermop for several years I'm familiar with both trips. I commuted weekly to Billings for college for 2 years. It is a much shorter trip, around 3 hrs. 15 min. going either through Cody or through Worland. There are no winding roads, etc., but it is 2 lane all the way. Denver to Thermop depends on how often you stop. I'd plan on about 6 hours. It is interstate from Denver to Casper, then 2 lane the rest of the way. But that interstate can be awful if it's stormy and windy. Wind River Canyon, which is about 20 miles long, right before you get to Thermop, has some curves in it, although it's not that bad. If we have snow (like we do now) it can get pretty icky, though. For that matter, either route can be snowy, icy, and potentially treacherous at the end of March if another storm comes through. If there is the potential of snow I'd rather drive the shorter distance.

Some things to consider:

Denver is a much larger airport and it may take longer to get in and out of the airport, through security, etc. than it does in Billings. Things move very quickly in Billings. Also, DIA is a bit east of Denver so you have to consider that when figuring driving time. Getting out of town from the Billings airport is about a 10 minute drive.

You'll want to look at whether you have a very long layover from Denver to Billings. Sometimes there is just enough time to make your connecting flight and other times you have a long wait.

If you are uncomfortable driving for long distances and can afford to fly into Billings I would go that route if I were you. But if money is an issue and it is a huge difference then you may want to consider Denver. Personally, I'd fly into Billings. I hope this has been helpful!

Georgia

Old 03-11-2009, 05:32 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,977,971 times
The only thing certain about weather in Denver is uncertainty. This year, however, Denver has received only 14" of snow for the season, which has to be close to a record low total. So, it's shaping up to be a very dry and warm year in Eastern Colorado. Beyond that, nobody can predict weather out to the end of March.

As for DIA, it is indeed a large airport. If you rent a car from DIA, plan on allowing about an hour after your arrival to get your bags, get to your rental car, and drive away. Leaving Denver, you're advised to take the E-470 toll road north to I-25. It will cost you a few dollars, but you'll completely miss Denver traffic. Taking this road, you should be able to be from your rental car to Cheyenne in about 90-100 minutes.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:04 PM

Thank you so much everyone! You have been most helpful. We went ahead and got tickets into Denver so we'll be driving to Thermop. Got a cheap hotel for the night so we'll start driving in the morning just in case we encounter any weather, etc. But now I'm wondering, should we rent an SUV to be safe or stick to our cheaper compact car? I'm really nervous about this trip and wish we could predict the weather! We arrive in Denver one week from today. Thanks again for all your help. You guys are great!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:01 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceshan View Post
Thank you so much everyone! You have been most helpful. We went ahead and got tickets into Denver so we'll be driving to Thermop. Got a cheap hotel for the night so we'll start driving in the morning just in case we encounter any weather, etc. But now I'm wondering, should we rent an SUV to be safe or stick to our cheaper compact car? I'm really nervous about this trip and wish we could predict the weather! We arrive in Denver one week from today. Thanks again for all your help. You guys are great!
I think you should be fine with the car. I would check the weather forecast right before you leave home and if it looks like a MAJOR storm is coming in then maybe upgrade to an SUV, but I bet you won't have any problems. The weather is looking much better than it did a week ago! Be careful on your trip and enjoy your time in Thermop. I sure do miss those hot pools!

Old 03-17-2009, 12:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
weather looks great (tho subject to change...)
Climate Prediction Center - 8 to 14 Day Outlook

I'd do the compact car, and if skeptical, buy a set of chains in DEN or Ft Collins and return them on the way back.
I'd also bring some winter traveling things for the car (extra blanket, water, food, and a couple candles, and something orange to place as a flag if you get snowbound) although... having carried this stuff for 35 yrs of winter driving in CO, WY, NE, UT, MT, ID, WA I've never needed it (but I feel naked without it).

Enjoy the trip, and if you have time, consider coming home a different route for a change of scenery.

Maybe through Medicine Bow / Laramie / Ft Collins
or Rawlins / Saratoga (more hot springs, and a 'free Hobo pool')/ Encampment / Walden / Ft Collins

I've been eying the $69 fares to DEN myself, and considering 'stimulating the WY economy'

Old 03-17-2009, 12:54 PM

I'm looking forward to the hot springs too after a chilly Seattle winter.

What a great idea about buying chains and returning them on the way back to be safe. Thanks!

Thanks for the weather outlook as well. You guys have been terrific. Happy St. Paddy's to ya'll from an Irish gal

Old 03-17-2009, 08:03 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceshan View Post
... But now I'm wondering, should we rent an SUV to be safe or stick to our cheaper compact car?
The thing about driving on the interstates and main highways is, if the roads are too bad for a compact car to travel over, the highway department will close the roads anyway -- to everything. The main advantage of a 4x4 would be once you're off the road, either pulling off onto unmaintained roads or parking lots or sliding off the road into a ditch. 4x4s are good for going up slippery mountain grades -- which you won't be doing -- but other than that, SUVs are just as likely to end up in the ditch as anything else you might drive, so just use common sense and keep an eye on the weather.

Good luck and welcome to Wyoming!

Old 03-18-2009, 01:56 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Stick to your cheaper compact car ....

and if the roads should get bad enough that you'd need chains for it, you should already have been parked and settled in, safely off the road to wait out the inclement weather. Most likely, the road would have been closed by the WYDOT if conditions are that bad, too.

As noted, the weather pattern right now doesn't look like a lot of moisture coming our way, so it's unlikely that you'll have anything to deal with except blue skies and maybe some wind. Have a good trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming