Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:41 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,003 times

Advertisements

The grocery shelves are getting bare here. Due to truckers strike or just high diesel prices. I mean everyone is affected. We paid 3.89 for one of the last loaves of bread. None we liked at two other stores. We lowered our likes to get this one. Ha,ha. Mostly just fast spoiledge stuff. But canned goods looking bleak.
We got both trucks filled with gas. The last top off was 3.59 with some places having no gas or trash bags on some of the pump handles.
Unless you have lived here, you can't imagine the panic mode of the people here. Let the weather service tell u there's a storm heading this way. And watch out. Toilet paper,water,pop,easy eat food. Goes first off the shelves. I have seen these shelves bare at SuperWalmart. In less than a day. Kinda funny, but then again. It's kinda not, you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 11:30 AM

24 posts, read 69,974 times
Howdy Shadowalker!
Walmart and Sam's Club announced on the news today that they were limiting the amount of rice anyone can buy- one large bag/person.
Afraid it's just the beginning down here.
Harry

Old 04-24-2008, 01:52 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,055,746 times
Wow... I am going to be grocery shopping again in a few days... I go every 2 weeks for my major shopping.... So I will let ya know what it is like when I go...

That is crazy what is happening! I even heard Costco is limiting rice ect...

I think I am going to invest in a bread machine this year finally and make my own bread....

Plus we are growing as many veggies as we can this summer...

I am sorry about what is happening in your town.. All of this is just nuts....

Old 04-24-2008, 02:27 PM

24 posts, read 69,974 times
I'm really glad I'm moving to WY this summer- for a lot of reasons- but this one is going to be a very good one. I'm real concerned that if (when) a hurricane gets up a head of steam down here,the food stores as well as Home Depots will be emptied. We've had some years down here that brought hurricanes close to us and I remember going to a Home Depot at 4am (open around the clock then) to get supplies for my business, and the cars were lined up about 25 deep for plywood. When you pulled up, they gave you a number and limited you to about 10 sheets/person. People were getting pretty surly. The gas stations were running out and the food stores were stripped. Not fun times. Pretty scary, actually.
Wish I had an answer, but my best solution is to move to WY and try to be as self sufficient as I can
That's my answer and I'm sticking to it!
Harry

Old 04-24-2008, 06:23 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,784,234 times
I haven't noticed anything in SW Arkansas. The shortage would have to be due to transportation expenses. I'm not understanding this rice shortage - I heard the news report also.

Kristynwy, before you buy a bread machine try making bread the old fashion way. It really isn't difficult. My daughter didn't like her bread machine - I think it was because she needed to have certain packages to make the bread. I'll have to remember to ask her. I made my own bread for years and loved it. The only reason I don't make it now is because I will eat too much of that hot from the oven fresh baked bread!! I only make it now when I have plenty of company to help me eat what is made!!

Old 04-25-2008, 01:06 PM

We did something I would have never thought doing. As were trying to lighten up material stuff. To save on the move back up to wyoming. We bought a couple hundred dollars of staples for making food and using with food. And put it on credit card.
I have been in other countries that had empty and almost empty shelves in the grocery stores. I just never thought I'd see it here. I just hope I don't see other things here. That I have seen in those countries.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:10 PM

9 posts, read 37,687 times
The rice shortage is because of a worldwide rice problem. Some stores here are limiting the amount we buy to ease the problem in poorer, rice dependent nations in Asia.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:25 PM

774 posts, read 2,581,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
The grocery shelves are getting bare here. Due to truckers strike or just high diesel prices. I mean everyone is affected. We paid 3.89 for one of the last loaves of bread. None we liked at two other stores. We lowered our likes to get this one. Ha,ha. Mostly just fast spoiledge stuff. But canned goods looking bleak.
We got both trucks filled with gas. The last top off was 3.59 with some places having no gas or trash bags on some of the pump handles.
Unless you have lived here, you can't imagine the panic mode of the people here. Let the weather service tell u there's a storm heading this way. And watch out. Toilet paper,water,pop,easy eat food. Goes first off the shelves. I have seen these shelves bare at SuperWalmart. In less than a day. Kinda funny, but then again. It's kinda not, you know?
What part of Tennessee are you in? I'm in Memphis and there are no shortages (other than a shortage of low-crime areas, obviously!)

Old 04-26-2008, 06:05 AM

I live in Lebanon,tn. About 30 miles east of Nashville. Here we don't have a shortage of crime here either. Ha, ha.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:52 AM

1,047 posts, read 2,784,234 times
Shadowwalker, I understand about trying to lighten up on the "stuff" to have less to move. For the last few months when I am cleaning a closet or drawer or where ever, I sort things into keep or find a new home piles. Very interesting task in letting go and thinking about what you really value as far as possessions.

Investing in food is good I guess, but I haven't seen any reason to hoard. I understand how you would worry since you had a bad experience before. I went shopping yesterday and the shelves looked the same as always. I didn't notice rice - I already had plenty. One of the nice things about these forums is that if there is any real reason for concern I think we will hear it here because of the people that post from all over the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming