Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2022, 11:46 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,109,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
It's one thing to be fully retired and move to Cody, but, isn't it an entirely different thing to still have to be employed and move to Cody? Would Cody have that much employment to offer?
Isn't Cody becoming a poor-man's Jackson, Sun Valley or Bozeman? I live a couple hours from Sun Valley and the rich and famous come for a few weeks in the winter and a few weeks in the summer. The rest of the time they spend in L.A, SF, Dallas, NY, etc. If they are truly rich they have caretakers maintaining the house and prep it for their visit. If not truly rich they use the property as short term rental, taken care of by property managers. I looked at Cody and found a link saying there are more than 250 vacation rentals available. I'd guess those are owned by people that visit a few weeks a year, or some by investment groups that never come to Cody at all. Anyway, if you don't live there fulltime you don't need to look for work in the resort town. It does drive up rental and home prices because it takes housing inventory away from fulltime residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2022, 12:35 PM

8,956 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
A couple questions: Does Cheyenne have an abundance of water for all this growth? It was mentioned above that much of this growth and development is on dry-land wheat fields and ranch land. Now it will have thousands of houses sucking water out of the ground and used for daily living and watering. It's surprising how fast that can suck down an aquifer. That's the problem Boise and surrounding areas are running into as the city keeps growing. Between Mountain Home, ID and Boise (40 miles) two developments of 10,000 and 32,000 homes have been approved... if they can secure water. So far they haven't been able to get that water, so only a few dozen homes have been built in the area.

My other thought is that many of the people moving to these southern Cheyenne developments will work in the Fort Collins area. It will just be a long commute, but likely the only place for first-time home buyers to secure a house, since much of the Ft Collins area is priced like Denver. My son made the reverse commute for a few years... Ft Collins to Cheyenne. He got laid off at the beginning of Covid and has since moved down to Denver with his fiancé where she works, and he works remote. Anyway, he said he'd never live in Cheyenne, because there was nothing to do there vs. Ft Collins (he was in his late 20s at the time). Air Force people I knew stationed at Warren all said they spent their weekends in Colorado. I had a good friend who had his wife and kids live in Denver and he got a small apartment in Cheyanne. Spent the work week there, and then headed to Denver every weekend. I guess my take is that many young people don't think well of Cheyenne. The last time I was there (7 months ago) I didn't see a whole lot of downtown, or other business development going on that would attract the younger crowd. Maybe that will come with the growth, but that might not be to good for the seniors in the area.
Loveland is the same way, not much at all to do, compared to Ft Collins. No big restaurants. The big-box stores, big theater and numerous restaurants for the young folks, are at Cierra, but still not like Ft Collins. Major auto dealers are in Ft Collins also, not in Loveland. We have met a few people that make the commute from Loveland or Ft Collins to Denver for work. But, they are much younger than I was when I drove from Parker, CO to downtown Denver for work.

Not all Seniors, especially older ones, like us, don't need all of the entertainment that young folks need, that is in Denver. For us, all we need is a descent steakhouse, Walmart, grocery store, theater, good breakfast spot and the historic things (museum, etc.) that makes Cheyenne somewhat "Western". For a little "nightlife", a bar just west of Cheyenne would be good for us. Other than that, we watch a lot of tv and the Cowboy Channel.

Growth is a part of a lot of cities, but, to us, growth definitely means more than 100k people.

Old 05-26-2022, 03:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
"sprawl" to me is any development outside city roads, utilities, and services. which means the county get stuck with the cost of school buses, fires, sheriff, roads. So even small towns get sprawl. Some slowly incorporate some don't.
Sprawl defined since1955... (Europe and UK) more this^^^ than "x" population (1m+)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_sprawl

Even places like Chugwater risk Urban sprawl (by offering free building lots and such). Unless doing 'infill' of existing city boundaries and existing services.

Gonna need some infrastructure to build it out, and maintain it, serve it, and protect it.

From an AG perspective it is planting homes on what was once productive farmland.
From a recreation perspective... losing access to open space while planting houses and spreading them out.

Boulder was doing growth management in the 1960's some plenty of examples and documented results are close at hand.

Wyoming is not terribly experienced at huge urban sprawl, as is happening in Cheyenne region, so expect some mistakes.

Old 05-26-2022, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Loveland is the same way, not much at all to do, compared to Ft Collins. No big restaurants. The big-box stores, big theater and numerous restaurants for the young folks, are at Cierra, but still not like Ft Collins. Major auto dealers are in Ft Collins also, not in Loveland. We have met a few people that make the commute from Loveland or Ft Collins to Denver for work. But, they are much younger than I was when I drove from Parker, CO to downtown Denver for work.

Not all Seniors, especially older ones, like us, don't need all of the entertainment that young folks need, that is in Denver. For us, all we need is a de-cent steakhouse, Walmart, grocery store, theater, good breakfast spot and the historic things (museum, etc.) that makes Cheyenne somewhat "Western". For a little "nightlife", a bar just west of Cheyenne would be good for us. Other than that, we watch a lot of tv and the Cowboy Channel.

Growth is a part of a lot of cities, but, to us, growth definitely means more than 100k people.
SO, narrow it down!

You want over 100k people?

Easy... find your spot.

Loveland sounds perfect if you want 80k people (It was <10k when I arrived)
JAX store is on the previous site of Loveland Municipal Airport, and it was WAY out in the country. Housing ended on the west border of Lake Loveland.

it has... many dining options as well as adequate big box availability, really great senior programs and activity center / library / museum.
Don't like those options?, you have 2x as many <30 minutes away (North, South, East, or West) https://www.city-data.com/city/Loveland-Colorado.html

The biggest benefit... you can get to Ft Collins in 10 minutes but you don't have to live there... Boulder, same thing (30 minutes) Denver same thing, (50 minutes)
It's not perfect, but suits hundreds of seniors I know who live there, and many choosing to move there each yr. Not the best spot for everyone (Thank goodness), so... if it doesn't fit, you pack the saddles and hit the trail!

Old 05-26-2022, 05:53 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
Water , Denver's had a water problem , a few years ago there was a big blow down of timber around 100,000 acres. the next year snow run off was 100,000 acre feet higher. Foresters worked out a 100 year logging plan and Denver would never have a water problem as each acre of trees cleared would be an acre foot of water, and the tree growth is slow is slow so the 100 year harvest equaled jobs, water and a constant regrowth of timber. Well that plan got shot down. Cheyenne has a water problem I have a friend right west of town he limited on how many inches of water he can put on his crop land with his center pivots. The city has bought property just for the water rights.

Old 05-27-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
SO, narrow it down!

You want over 100k people?

Easy... find your spot.

Loveland sounds perfect if you want 80k people (It was <10k when I arrived)
JAX store is on the previous site of Loveland Municipal Airport, and it was WAY out in the country. Housing ended on the west border of Lake Loveland.

it has... many dining options as well as adequate big box availability, really great senior programs and activity center / library / museum.
Don't like those options?, you have 2x as many <30 minutes away (North, South, East, or West) https://www.city-data.com/city/Loveland-Colorado.html

The biggest benefit... you can get to Ft Collins in 10 minutes but you don't have to live there... Boulder, same thing (30 minutes) Denver same thing, (50 minutes)
It's not perfect, but suits hundreds of seniors I know who live there, and many choosing to move there each yr. Not the best spot for everyone (Thank goodness), so... if it doesn't fit, you pack the saddles and hit the trail!
That's what I'm trying to say........100k population doesn't bother us at all. Would we like less, yes, but 100k sure isn't 900k that we lived in for 10 1/2 years.

Yes, there is hundreds of seniors along the Front Range, but, front what we have been able to tell, basically nothing, absolutely nothing, like we are. Nobody talks rodeo, ranching, livestock here like we do. Seems like a lot of "big city" seniors that live here and have no interest in western stuff at all.

And, as far as many seniors go, especially those over 70, driving 30 minutes or 50 minutes to someplace isn't exactly their "cup of tea". Not with the speed of our freeways today! It can get very scary for a senior.

So, yes, it will be time to "pack up the saddles (what saddles and hit the trail (what trail).

Old 05-27-2022, 11:30 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
Quote:
That's what I'm trying to say........100k population doesn't bother us at all. Would we like less, yes, but 100k sure isn't 900k that we lived in for 10 1/2 years.

Yes, there is hundreds of seniors along the Front Range, but, front what we have been able to tell, basically nothing, absolutely nothing, like we are. Nobody talks rodeo, ranching, livestock here like we do. Seems like a lot of "big city" seniors that live here and have no interest in western stuff at all.

And, as far as many seniors go, especially those over 70, driving 30 minutes or 50 minutes to someplace isn't exactly their "cup of tea". Not with the speed of our freeways today! It can get very scary for a senior.

So, yes, it will be time to "pack up the saddles (what saddles and hit the trail (what trail).
Senior centers here drive groups of Seniors 60 to 100 miles for , Doctor, shopping etc....

Old 05-27-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
Senior centers here drive groups of Seniors 60 to 100 miles for , Doctor, shopping etc....
Well, if we lived in Cheyenne, and that is a mighty big "if", we'd still be driving. But, Cheyenne has numerous things that Loveland doesn't, like a VA Hospital, if needed.

To a point, the Seniors here are like the Millennials, they simply aren't that friendly. Can seem odd, but fact is fact, this city just isn't that friendly. For some reason.

Old 05-27-2022, 01:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:
what saddles
Dakota + Boat
Quote:
what trail
any trail... I-25 or "The Yellow Brick Road" anything will work when you need to 'get-outta-Dodge'

100k population and 'western theme / events'... Oklahoma City or Ft Worth seem more appropriate.
Cheyenne has a fraction of the things to do that Loveland/Ft Collins do. (In my varied interests) + I have the option of all surrounding cities + RMNP / NFS / and BLM properties.

I find the seniors in you region to be very engaged and friendly, though we travel in different circles. Most are retired farmers from IL, MN, WI, NE, IA, so plenty interesting, active and we do a few western things / yr (of what's available) Greeley Stampede, Estes Park Rodeo, NWSS (Have done that since 1960 when my dad had a commercial display there through 1970's)

You might be surprised that some of us here are within 5 yrs of your age, and some considerably older and we still drive long distances often daily, and load and haul our stock / heavy equipment. As well as manage the daily responsibilities of rural farm / ranch life. Jody recently moved his operation across the state (Diagonally). That takes some significant decisions and a lot of energy / risks. A local friend moved his farm last yr across the state. He took 17 trips with his trucks and trailers, THEN had to construct buildings, corrals, pasture fences, loading chutes, home, decks, irrigation... he's age 76 with plenty of health issues, wife is in need of daily medical care. Packing up an apartment and a boat and striking out for a new home or parts unknown is a very simple task. Could be packed and GONE in a few hours.

Financially, you are at levels many of us have never accomplished. Double income, working spouse!!! Whoa, we could never imagine such huge free cash flows. Mega difference at SS time. VA benefits! A great asset that saves several thousand $ / yr, and possibly your entire savings (which many seniors exhaust on a single medical event.)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 05-27-2022 at 01:31 PM..

Old 05-27-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Dakota + Boat
any trail... I-25 or "The Yellow Brick Road" anything will work when you need to 'get-outta-Dodge'

100k population and 'western theme / events'... Oklahoma City or Ft Worth seem more appropriate.
Cheyene has a fraction of the things to do that Loveland/Ft Collins do. (In my varied interests) + I have the option of all surrounding cities + RMNP / NFS / and BLM properties.

I find the seniors in you region to be very engaged and friendly, though we travel in different circles. Most are retired farmers from IL, MN, WI, NE, IA, so plenty interesting, active and we do a few western things / yr (of what's available) Greeley Stampede, Estes Park Rodeo, NWSS (Have done that since 1960 when my dad had a commercial display there through 1970's)

You might be surprised that some of us here are within 5 yrs of your age, and some considerably older and we still drive long distances often daily, and load and haul our stock / heavy equipment. As well as manage the daily responsibilities of rural farm / ranch life. Jody recently moved his operation across the state (Diagonally). That takes some significant decisions and a lot of energy / risks. A local friend moved his farm last yr across the state. He took 17 trips with his trucks and trailers, THEN had to construct buildings, corrals, pasture fences, loading chutes, home, decks, irrigation... he's age 76 with plenty of health issues, wife is in need of daily medical care. Packing up an apartment and a boat and striking out for a new home or parts unknown is a very simple task. Could be packed and GONE in a few hours.

Financially, you are at levels many of us have never accomplished. Double income, working spouse!!! Whoa, we could never imagine such huge free cash flows. Mega difference at SS time. VA benefits! A great asset that saves several thousand $ / yr, and possibly your entire savings (which many seniors exhaust on a single medical event.)
Well, we'll find out more about Cheyenne with our visit. Neither Loveland or Ft. Collins has a rodeo as big and great as Cheyenne's. Hell On Wheels has their rodeo in Cheyenne during the summer, but Loveland and Ft Collins? Cheyenne has been, and still is, more "rodeo" related than both Loveland and Ft Collins!

Funny, but when wife and I went to the Larimer County Fair last year, we were the only ones walking around wearing Resistol straw cowboy hats. Heck, right out in from of a tent we were eating in, some kids were using a couple of old ropes trying to rope a dummy steer head mounted to a bale of hay. There father was trying to show them how to do it and he couldn't even form a loop! So, I got up and went over and gave a very short lesson in roping a steer head. How to form a loop, swing the loop and deliver the loop around the steer head. The kids loved it!

And, all of those rodeo's you mentioned above, we've been to, plus Colorado State Fair in Pueblo, Elizabeth and Pikes Peak Or Bust. In fact, we will be in Greeley this coming July for the Finals and at Pikes Peak Or Bust for the Finals on a Saturday night. That will be after we go to the Pro Rodeo Cowboy Ball on Friday night and Hall of Fame Induction on Saturday AM.

Actually, right now, due to my wife's "at home" job, that can end in any upcoming month, we have three incomes. Both of our SS and her job income. Yes, I have VA Medical, plus Medicare and Supplement. And, from what I understand, farmers and ranchers don't get SS. I have a farmer friend, that I graduated with, and he tried for his, but he had none. My SIL (wife's sister) doesn't get SS either. She never had it taken out, while being a teacher.

Currently, and I've already stated this, we are doing nicely, but still can't afford a newer vehicle or house/property.

Another thing, from what I know, nobody here has a 20 foot powerboat w/5.7L engine. One added cost we won't have much longer, but still have it. Definitely not new at year 1992.

As far as Oklahoma and a few other states, wife refuses to live in "tornado alley" and I don't blame her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming