Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 11:53 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times

Advertisements

Alright, so here's the scoop.

I currently live in Kentucky. I'm in the process of (likely) moving to Texas for employment, b/c I don't like Kentucky and I want to get a feel for something very different.

Another place I've wanted to live, if even for just a couple of years, is Wyoming. In particular, Laramie and the University of Wyoming. They are, from what I hear, a very nice town and well-respected institution, respectively. I'm interested in UW for its urban planning and law programs and would like to begin b/t 2010 and 2012. I've also only met one person from Laramie and Wyoming, and he seemed like a nice, humble, mannerly guy; a good representative of the state.

So...I'm 22, single (no g/f or anything,) male, and a recent college graduate. I'm not a "pop the collar" type of guy that drives a BMW, frequents "uppity" clubs, and dates expensive girls. Nothing wrong with that sub-culture necessarily, but I'm just a bit more down to earth.

• Friends/nightlife: What is there to do in SE Wyoming in the way of non-outdoor activities? How genuinely amicable and outgoing are the students and Laramie people in general? Granted, I probably wouldn't have much of a social life, but still...I'm a genuinely friendly and outgoing person myself.
  • Singles: The ladies in Kentucky aren't always particularly down to earth and full of "Southern hospitality." In fact, many are very crude and blunt in a demeaning way. Surely...okay, hopefully Laramie would be positively different somehow in this regard.
  • Pros/cons: Give me the good, bad, and ugly of Laramie.
  • Outdoors: Hiking, biking, camping, whitewater rafting... The question is not how many, but how often do folks get out and take advantage of the outdoors? I love hiking, in particular.
  • UW: Recommend or not?
Thank you so much. I'm looking forward to learning more about Laramie.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 06-24-2008 at 12:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 01:20 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
Well, maybe I can give you some perspective.

I am a non-traditional student. I moved to Laramie from Redondo Beach, CA last August. UW has one of the best anthropological programs in the United States and I have not been the least bit disappointed in the quality of educational opportunities I have found here.

I made friends quite quickly and my friends range in age from about 24 to 54. We go out fairly frequently--there are several clubs in town--all of them student friendly (provided of course, you're old enough to drink, which I see that you are). There is a nice variety of restaurants and if you feel as if you will expire without an Olive Garden or Red Lobster fix, Cheyenne is only 45 minutes from Laramie (weather permitting).

The University provides a goodly amount of activities during the spring and fall semesters, from concerts, to Friday night movies, to ski trips. There are a plethora of clubs on campus providing something for nearly everybody.

The terrain around Laramie is stunning and offers everything from rock climbing and camping to fishing and hiking. I don't know anyone who doesn't take advantage of the amazing natural resources around here.

Winters are harsh and some days, the wind will all but blow you over. I've had to walk between classes with temps at about -8 and fierce winds--but winter does give way to some amazing summer weather and gorgeous scenery.

Laramie is a small town. If you like city life, you'll be disappointed. But we have perfectly adequate shopping here and as I said earlier, some very nice restaurants, along with the usual fast food suspects.

So there you have it.

I highly recommend UW and Laramie too. I absolutely love it here and have NO regrets leaving So Cal.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I made friends quite quickly and my friends range in age from about 24 to 54. We go out fairly frequently--there are several clubs in town--all of them student friendly (provided of course, you're old enough to drink, which I see that you are). There is a nice variety of restaurants...

The University provides a goodly amount of activities during the spring and fall semesters, from concerts, to Friday night movies, to ski trips. There are a plethora of clubs on campus providing something for nearly everybody.

The terrain around Laramie is stunning and offers everything from rock climbing and camping to fishing and hiking. I don't know anyone who doesn't take advantage of the amazing natural resources around here.

Winters are harsh and some days, the wind will all but blow you over. I've had to walk between classes with temps at about -8 and fierce winds--but winter does give way to some amazing summer weather and gorgeous scenery.

Laramie is a small town. If you like city life, you'll be disappointed. But we have perfectly adequate shopping here and as I said earlier, some very nice restaurants, along with the usual fast food suspects.

So there you have it.

I highly recommend UW and Laramie too. I absolutely love it here and have NO regrets leaving So Cal.
All this is great to know. I knew about the cold weather part, which WILL not be my favorite part of Laramie if I move there. Of course, I wouldn't openly complain and will have no right to since it would be my decision to move there.

Laramie sounds like a unique corner of the world, blending down-to-earth hospitality with a strong, diverse set of community activities. Worth checking out.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
All this is great to know. I knew about the cold weather part, which WILL not be my favorite part of Laramie if I move there. Of course, I wouldn't openly complain and will have no right to since it would be my decision to move there.

Laramie sounds like a unique corner of the world, blending down-to-earth hospitality with a strong, diverse set of community activities. Worth checking out.
Anybody else want to chime in?

Old 06-26-2008, 11:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I'm with Kele, many good points, and nice description for your questions.

Unless you are fixated on a vibrant 'youthful' social life, Laramie is a great choice.
If you can stretch your wings to try some other social venues (western...), I think you will find plenty of options. Fort Collins is a quick trip to get adequate dose of 'youthful' social. You can find clubs and events that will be interesting, and certainly the hiking and outdoor recreation is great and close by (Veedauwoo, ~ 20 min east or Snowy Range ~ 30 minutes west or Medicine Bow area 30 mi north) some great fly fishing and canoing nearby too.

If you have a low social need and are content finding things to do on your own, you will be happy. If you always need a companion to do things, you may be unhappy.

The wind would be a negative if you aren't adept to 'lean-into-the-breeze'. I would take the wind over my current 285 days of rain / year...

I am not keen on TX, though there are some nice areas in the hill country.

Be prepared for 'brown' / arid terrain which ever destination you choose (unless you want 8 months of drizzle). It is green around the Pacific Northwest, and lots of schools and hiking too. I would definately add it to my list to consider. Beach, snow and water skiing, windsurfing, biking, whitewater rafting and the Pacific Crest trail + a couple volcanos all within one hour of Portland, OR. Weather is much more desirable in Hood River, OR, but nearest Universities are 1 hr. (Portland). Plenty of 'green' urban planning + LEEDS certifications and law school too (Lewis and Clark). ( I would choose a girl from Laramie, tho... granola Portland gals are not as good of a catch IMHO)

PNW is an option if Laramie is too rough around the edges, just come another day's drive west. I'd give Laramie a whirl first, just be prepared for incessant wind. - oh to be 22 again.... choices + opportunities + energy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming