Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 03:24 PM

3 posts, read 8,885 times

Advertisements

Hi there! New to this forum. I know this is off the topic, but something caught my eye in this conversation.
Can someone enlighten me as to why it is so difficult in WY to collect from deadbeat parents? Why is this so problematic here?
Would appreciate feedback.
Extending my thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 01:38 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rphelps52 View Post
Hi there! New to this forum. I know this is off the topic, but something caught my eye in this conversation.
Can someone enlighten me as to why it is so difficult in WY to collect from deadbeat parents? Why is this so problematic here?
Would appreciate feedback.
Extending my thanks in advance!
How are we supposed to answer that?

Maybe it's because we are an energy boom state and people move around, eithers within the state or to other states or from other states all the time. There are a lot of folks that live in Motel's or campgrounds. Tough getting an address on them.

Is the problem collecting? Or finding?

Old 06-25-2008, 03:42 PM

3 posts, read 8,885 times
Problem is not finding. Problem is collecting what is due. This guy does not move around, does not live in a campground or motel, and is a true deadbeat in every sense of the word. Is a governmental worker. WY seems to be a tough state to ENFORCE child support orders, especially when the other party (custodial parent) is not on state assistance of any sort.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:19 PM

Sounds like an individual with a problem.

Why are you blaming the state?

Old 06-25-2008, 04:20 PM

215 posts, read 667,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rphelps52 View Post
Problem is not finding. Problem is collecting what is due. This guy does not move around, does not live in a campground or motel, and is a true deadbeat in every sense of the word. Is a governmental worker. WY seems to be a tough state to ENFORCE child support orders, especially when the other party (custodial parent) is not on state assistance of any sort.
Sorry to hear that but I had a good experience getting back child support from my ex. Just went to child support agency and report him and they started garnishing his wages for current and past until he was caught up. once he was caught up on past they continued with current. I was never on state assistance and they were always very helpful. Even made sure he had insurance on the kids too

Old 06-25-2008, 04:25 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
What you're asking is for those of us in Wyoming to make a comparative "value judgement" as to the alleged difficulty of collecting court ordered child support and expenses here compared to another state ... which may or may not have similar laws and enforcement of court orders.

Unless one of us has had the experience of collecting both these monies in Wyoming and in another state, it's virtually impossible to know what's going on.

OTOH, I can tell you all about another state where the courts automatically garnish a wage-earners income on the "say so" of the ex partner claiming not getting the payments owed just so she can get more money even though you can otherwise show all the court ordered child support payments made in a timely manner by check and have the cashed/cancelled checks with her endorsement signature in your possession to show the court ... if you'd been given that opportunity and a timely notice to appear. Oh, and the court awarded her attorney all of the fees that were demanded by the law firm for the frivolous suit. Nor would the court, after being properly notified of the fraud, allow any offset of future child support payments by the overage monies paid. The judge asserted that to interrupt the cash flow to the children might place them in undue hardship, so I got to be out on the street due to my overstressed finances, staying with generous friends ... while my ex took a party trip to Europe with her friends and then bought a newer car (nothing wrong with the old one, she just wanted something different). Perhaps these types of shennanigans and misuse of the court system are what Wyoming is trying to protect folks from .... especially the part where my children saw no benefit from the monies garnished.

Shortly therafter, the ex again had an opportunity for extended travel with her companions, and dropped our children off on my doorstep at 10PM one night with an announcement that she couldn't "take care of them for awhile". She left them for a year, at which point I filed to have the child support abandoned and to get custody ... since I was the non-custodial but actual in possession and care of the kids parent. When she got the notice through her lawyer, she picked up the kids that day when they came home from school. A year's worth of child support went somewhere other than our kids, and again, there was no credit given to me for having paid the support as well as having been the sole provider of all of their teen-age expenses for a year.

So, at this point, I'm sympathetic to your financial situation ... but I also know that there's little "justice" in the court system unless you're just watching a TV show.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:59 PM

215 posts, read 667,769 times
One thing I forgot to add is that my child support was always paid thru the clerk of court.. He paid them and then they sent me the check so that there always was a exact record of what was paid or not.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:39 PM

330 posts, read 1,095,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkb826 View Post
Sorry to hear that but I had a good experience getting back child support from my ex. Just went to child support agency and report him and they started garnishing his wages for current and past until he was caught up. once he was caught up on past they continued with current. I was never on state assistance and they were always very helpful. Even made sure he had insurance on the kids too
I've never had problems collecting child support from my ex either. But my sister's ex moved to Arizona and does a lot of working under the table....but Wyoming enforcement knows where he lives and does nothing about garnishing from his tax return every year (he owes at least 10k in back support).

I don't think it's so much the State of Wyoming as it is the other states enforcing it.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekape View Post
- snip - I don't think it's so much the State of Wyoming as it is the other states enforcing it.
That's why I was asking the Op why they were blaming the state. Have they tried and the state didn't cooperate or have they made it too difficult or what?

I've never heard of Wyoming being a problem on that subject before.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,965 times
Maybe you should be asking a lawyer instead of asking the internet....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming