Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 08:30 PM

10 posts, read 58,659 times

Advertisements

I have never lived in a house with a basement ... in fact, thinking for a moment ... I don't think I've ever stepped foot in one. I see many homes in the Wyoming area with basements, so clearly they more popular there than here. I think there is far too much limestone just below the dirt to attempt digging out basements in these parts.

So what is having a basement like? Is it a nice feature that should be a "requisite" when buying or building a home in Wyoming? I've heard they keep a fairly nice and consistent temperature year-round.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 11:22 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooHotInTexas View Post
I have never lived in a house with a basement ... in fact, thinking for a moment ... I don't think I've ever stepped foot in one. I see many homes in the Wyoming area with basements, so clearly they more popular there than here. I think there is far too much limestone just below the dirt to attempt digging out basements in these parts.

So what is having a basement like? Is it a nice feature that should be a "requisite" when buying or building a home in Wyoming? I've heard they keep a fairly nice and consistent temperature year-round.
As my brother would say, "We build this way, because we can." It's not like other counties or states where you have shifting sands and problems. Here, you build a basement and it stays in the ground. No maintainence, just a basement. If you can double your sq ft in a home, why not do it?

Old 08-12-2008, 11:37 PM

10 posts, read 58,659 times
When looking at home listings, does the square footage usually include the area of the basement?

Old 08-13-2008, 05:36 AM

264 posts, read 1,093,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooHotInTexas View Post
When looking at home listings, does the square footage usually include the area of the basement?
I believe only if it's a finished basement, meaning it's been made into a liveable space and not just concrete floors, exposed floor joists, etc. But some states won't list anything below level as square footage...no matter how well it's finished. Other states only list it if it's also a walk-out basement. Best bet it to ask the agent of the home you're looking at.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:48 AM

46 posts, read 364,845 times
Basements vary greatly. Some look pretty much like the rest of the house except for the height of the windows, while others are pretty much concrete-lined holes beneath the house. Usually, all the utilities are in the basement, furnace, water heater, laundry, etc. A lot of new-construction homes come with unfinished basements, providing the new owner with an open space to do whatever they want with. I think most people put in family or games rooms, and extra bedrooms. A lot of houses have kitchens in the basement, and they are rented out as separate living spaces.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:44 AM

258 posts, read 999,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
As my brother would say, "We build this way, because we can." It's not like other counties or states where you have shifting sands and problems. Here, you build a basement and it stays in the ground. No maintainence, just a basement. If you can double your sq ft in a home, why not do it?
Yes, with one caveat - unless you have bentonite on the lot. Mostly, just don't even try to build on the stuff. Very unstable and difficult to "manage".
Some areas are full of it.

When I moved to WY, I was amazed at how many houses 'don't' have basements compared to Michigan, where I came from. We have them in MI as necessities for the tornadic activity that comes every Spring and whenever else it feels like it. I'd guess that there are more houses in WY 'without' basements than with them.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:50 AM

258 posts, read 999,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyvet79 View Post
I believe only if it's a finished basement, meaning it's been made into a liveable space and not just concrete floors, exposed floor joists, etc. But some states won't list anything below level as square footage...no matter how well it's finished. Other states only list it if it's also a walk-out basement. Best bet it to ask the agent of the home you're looking at.
Usually, only the main floor and any upper, finished levels are counted in the square footage. However, a finished basement may be noted as additional finished area with the square footage stated. Also, note that today many communities' codes require that basements with bedrooms in them have egress windows. Windows that are low enough and large enough to exit from (exactly how high from the floor to be specified by the code) and the hardware necessary to open them. Or, a walkout situation with an exit door.

So, if a seller tells you that you can "rent out the basement" for that extra income, be sure to find out if it is "legally" able to be rented out with the appropriate exit options.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:45 PM

264 posts, read 1,093,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dori36 View Post
I'd guess that there are more houses in WY 'without' basements than with them.
Yeah, I agree. It seems like crawlspaces are much more common here than basements. Both houses I've lived in out here had crawlspace foundations.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:57 AM

438 posts, read 1,730,720 times
We're in WI and basements are the norm here. It would be hard for us not to have a basement. I'm hooked on all that extra storage. Xmas decorations, fishing & hunting equipment all have separate areas. Many homes around here also have washer/dryer in the basement along with furnace, hot water heater and circuit breakers. We also keep a freezer in the basement.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
In New England we had to dig the foundations below the 5 ft deep frost line so why not take out the rest of the dirt and have some enclosed space. Generally dry cool enclosed space ideal for keeping potatoes and other root crops and for putting the furnace and coal bin. That was past now they put living space and/or the garage and call it a split level. I guess that they have to put the footing below frost in Wyoming so they just dig out the whole thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming