Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 04:07 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times

Advertisements

I stumbled upon this thread when I was doing some internet research on some of the smaller Wyoming towns. Still a few years away from retirement, but not too soon to figure out where I want to go. About 20-25 years ago, I was a geology field assistant on a NASA project and did summer field work about five years in a row in central Wyoming, (Wind River/Owl Creek/Big Horns). Not so much that first year, but in subsequent years, I've fallen in love with the place.

Nobody in this thread has mentioned Thermopolis as a retirement destination. Other than its isolation, (and lack of social amenities, such as shopping), are there any other things that would preclude Thermopolis being a retirement home? Another town that I'm absolutely enamored with is Dubois. But, that place is probably too small.

- - - - -

p.s. Last year, I visited the retired gentleman who built the satellite instrument that I command. He lives in Craig, CO. Afterward, I made my way up to Montana to visit a lady friend and passed through Wyoming. Right across the CO/WY border, I went through the small town of Baggs. This was in the very early morning and "everybody" driving in the opposite direction to me raised their hand off the steering wheel to give me a little, friendly wave. What the??? I don't know these people, and was driving a car with a license plate from that unmentionable state everybody loves to hate. After a few pick-ups passed me, all of them waving, it finally dawned on me . . . Oh, I'm in Wyoming. No wonder they are waving, that's the way things are here. I love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 06:59 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I stumbled upon this thread when I was doing some internet research on some of the smaller Wyoming towns. Still a few years away from retirement, but not too soon to figure out where I want to go. About 20-25 years ago, I was a geology field assistant on a NASA project and did summer field work about five years in a row in central Wyoming, (Wind River/Owl Creek/Big Horns). Not so much that first year, but in subsequent years, I've fallen in love with the place.

Nobody in this thread has mentioned Thermopolis as a retirement destination. Other than its isolation, (and lack of social amenities, such as shopping), are there any other things that would preclude Thermopolis being a retirement home? Another town that I'm absolutely enamored with is Dubois. But, that place is probably too small.

- - - - -

p.s. Last year, I visited the retired gentleman who built the satellite instrument that I command. He lives in Craig, CO. Afterward, I made my way up to Montana to visit a lady friend and passed through Wyoming. Right across the CO/WY border, I went through the small town of Baggs. This was in the very early morning and "everybody" driving in the opposite direction to me raised their hand off the steering wheel to give me a little, friendly wave. What the??? I don't know these people, and was driving a car with a license plate from that unmentionable state everybody loves to hate. After a few pick-ups passed me, all of them waving, it finally dawned on me . . . Oh, I'm in Wyoming. No wonder they are waving, that's the way things are here. I love it!
I wouldn't mind Thermopolis. It most likely isn't mentioned because we don't have forum members from there.

I'm with you on Baggs and the rest of the state. Recently had to spend 12 days in Aurora and Snowmass, CO. Finally got into some open country in CO, but wasn't "home" until I got close to Baggs and the recognition while driving started. It looked and felt so good, I stopped and spent some time there.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:58 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,285,688 times
Basically the town of Star Valley Ranch is a retirement community, lot of golf..... and a lot of snow birds

Old 08-12-2013, 11:49 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,022 times
I lived in Thermopolis for 13 years, as a young married woman. At that time there were quite a few retirees living there. However, most that I knew had lived there for years and just stayed there for retirement. There were those who came from elsewhere to retire, too. I wouldn't retire there but that's just my personal opinion. The one thing I do like about Thermop is the hot springs. Soaking in the hot pools makes the body feel good! I believe that is why a lot of older folks like it there. I do know they have a great, active Senior Citizen Center there. However, there isn't a lot to do there for active retirees (there is golf, but it is seasonal) unless you are into outdoor activities big time. Lots of hunting and fishing opportunities in the area. If I lived there as a retiree and didn't spend most days in the outdoors I would be bored silly. There are some senior citizen apartments there, but they are getting old and outdated. The Wyoming Pioneer Home is there for retirees who want to live in their own space (just a room) and have community areas to do things with others as well as community dining room. It used to allow only Wyoming people, but it has changes to allow those from out of state. I actually lived in an apartment there provided by the State for my ex-husband's job for several years. He still works there so I am very familiar with the facility and what it has to offer. If one wants to buy a home, we just drove through there this past weekend and there are a TON of homes for sale, mostly older ones. Prices are reasonable. If you get involved with the community you can fit in well there. Aside from my personal opinion regarding retiring there, I would have to say that from an overall view, I am pretty neutral as far as it being or not being a good place to retire! That might not be much help, but that's what I know!!!

Old 08-16-2013, 12:27 AM

12 posts, read 26,533 times
I live just outside of Lander and love it here. Least windy in the state and an elevation of 5,357 (5,586 at our GA airport) with the highest peaks in Wyoming located above Lander in the Wind River Range. Riverton is a quick 25 minute drive and there you will find Wal-Mart, K-Mart, an airport with daily service on United Express and Frontier and the like. In Lander we have a HomeTown Shopko, Alco, and Family Dollar plus two large supermarkets, at least four auto parts stores, two lumber yards, an Ace Hardware, several new car dealerships and many mom & pop businesses. We have a relatively new high school plus three other new schools in the past three years. We have a hospital and numerous general and specialty medical clinics. As mentioned above we do have a general aviation airport. The population is just over 7,000. Casper is 148 miles, Rock Springs is right around 120 miles (over South Pass) while Denver is about 5 hours and Salt Lake City about 4-1/2 to 5 hours.

I have lived in Casper and didn't like all of the wind. Laramie is a college town and there I have experienced some of the most horrific weather imaginable there. Cheyenne isn't my cup of tea - likely because it is so far from the mountains. Big Piney is an icebox in winter. I find Pinedale to be a nice place to visit but I much prefer living in Lander. In my opinion the 'banana belt' of Wyoming would be Shoshoni (tiny) and Thermopolis (small) and Thermopolis (world's largest mineral hot spring) does have a huge population of retirees.

Make a trip and stay a while - drive around and do some exploring!

Old 08-16-2013, 09:02 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Found an article talking about the worst for wind, least for wind, most for snow, coldest, etc. Generally places you wouldn't want to live.

The coldest, snowiest and windiest towns in Wyoming

Old 03-08-2017, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,010 times
I was born and raised on a farm in Iowa, went to college and lived in Southern California for 35 years and have spent the last 10 years in Austin, Texas (a mini-hell in the summer). I am seriously considering a move to Sheridan, Wyoming, a place I visited many years ago. I remember its beauty and easy style of living. I have missed the 4 seasons since leaving Iowa so I am fine with winter after living in 100 plus degree temperature for the very long summers in Austin these past 10 years. I am seeking some Wyoming resident assessments of Sheridan as a place to relocate as a retired female or other options in Wyoming. I appreciate any help you can give me. Just an FYI - Jackson Hole is way out of my budget range. Hope you can assist. Thanks.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:25 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Lady, I decided to retire to north Idaho. Wyoming was first on my list, but decided that it was missing too many of the things that I want to do in retirement. If I had decided that tennis and kayaking/sculling were not so important to me, I would be happy in either Sheridan, Cody, Powell, Thermopolis, and Meeteetse. On the second tier would be Worland, Lander, and Dubois.

Meeteetse and Dubois are pretty small. At least Meeteetse is fairly close to Cody and Powell while Dubois is pretty far from everything. I was not interested in the southern half of the state or the eastern third of the state. My geology work was in the Wind River/Bighorn Basins, and that is the Wyoming I came to love.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-08-2017, 08:52 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Hey there, Lady! Where in Iowa? I spent my adolescence in Harlan, in west central Iowa. I've lived in Gillette now for 45 years, after moving here with the intention of staying for 4-5 years. (I didn't like Gillette at first, but it's grown on me.)

Sheridan is a nice town. I visit it 2-3 times per month. It has its fair share of retirees. Weather is pretty close to that of the rest of NE Wyoming except that it's protected from the wind a little, being somewhat nestled in a valley with the Bighorns just to the west. Real estate prices are a little higher than in some parts of Wyoming but not by much.

As an example, I know of one home that's been on the market for a few years now, priced at $175K. It's a tri-level with double garage, I'm thinking about 2K sq ft. on an oversized lot in a quiet cul de sac, all built probably in the late 70s/early 80s. I've been in it several times, and it's a well-kept home, although I recognized the built-in double oven as the same model we had in a house we built in 1976.

I talked with a young couple a month ago that were moving into a similar-sized home on Goose Creek, about 5 miles west of Sheridan. I've never been in that home, but it looks to be a decent place, probably from the late 60s/early 70s era, GREAT lot! I believe they told me they were paying $170 for it. Both of these homes were foreclosures, so the prices may be a little less than typically found, but prices like that are very reasonable for anywhere in Wyoming.

My favorite "medium-sized" towns in Wyoming are Lander, Buffalo and Sheridan, with Cody, Thermopolis and Sundance following closely behind. Really, there are few towns in Wyoming without redeeming qualities. Some are pretty remote, however, such as Lander and Jackson. (Uhhhh, I guess most all of them are remote by general standards!) Some are colder, some windier, some hotter (but not as bad as Texas).

Oh, and lest I forget, with Buffalo and Sheridan you might also consider the smaller towns along that stretch, Story (between Buffalo and Sheridan) and Ranchester and Dayton (15 miles north of Sheridan). Story, if you've never been there, is mostly residential with many of its "roads" carved out of a tall pine forest. You'll often find street signs painted on a board that's nailed to a tree. It's not your typical town, but if you'd like living in a "mountain town," don't overlook Story. Most residents use Sheridan for their weekly shopping, others use Buffalo. Dayton and Ranchester are old ranching towns with populations just under 1000, iirc, nice little towns with main streets, schools and the whole works!

Old 03-09-2017, 01:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Relocating View Post
I was born and raised on a farm in Iowa,...spent the last 10 years in Austin, Texas (a mini-hell in the summer). I am seriously considering a move to Sheridan, Wyoming, ....
Sheridan was on top of my retirement list, then I switched to Powell (more affordable, closer to MT services), but eventually I created a weighted 'retirement spreadsheet' (with several destinations), and WY dropped off.

Tho my favorite (past home) and a highly desired state, WY got washed out very quickly due some of my personal criteria (Airport access, transportation time and expense to future medical needs, and retained property values (ability to resell home in case of medical need to relocate)) Your needs / priorities will certainly differ.

If you plan to stay put, and can deal with climate, housing, and economy, WY is a great choice. Sheridan is a good choice. WY Pioneer Home in Thermopolis is a grand choice when you need Skilled Care, I will be there too!.

Other retiree options nearby are Powell and Spearfish, SD (nice 'smaller' college towns with hospital). Access to RC and Black Hills makes Spearfish attractive, BUT pressure on recreation in SD is significantly higher (more people, tourists and locals). Sturgis Rally is an August issue (LEAVE SD for that period). If you like remote / solo / pristine / great people, WY wins. Without the great neighbor requirement (Northern) ID is fine.

I mitigated my 'early retirement' needs by keeping multiple homes and investment props in income tax free states. (western WA for Summer, Hill country TX for winter). Each place is near an international airport (I fly several x / month) and is rural with the main house rented out (for positive cash flow). There is a shop, and a cabin for me (at separate location / entrance on property, not visible from main house). I keep investment properties nearby in each location, so get income deductions for travel between and some costs while there working on other props.

This will change as I age, and I will sell the investment props on contract (Carry the paper for income ~ 5-7%). Currently get about 10% return + equity gain. TX is superb for rental props as property values are low and rents high (Compared to USA left coast). My rural TX props have acceptable taxes.

for retirement home, I enjoy the following:
1) great view (mandatory for me)
2) QUIET (Mandatory)
3) 10 min access to town / service / groceries
4) <40 min to international airport
5) College town (better economy and activities and EDU opportunities)
6) Access to a large town for cultural events / spare parts for antiques
7) moderate climate
8) good resale (growth or recreation area)

I grew up in Estes Park, CO so have a pretty high std of expectations for quality of life / access to recreation. Colorado has changed and is changing rapidly. Too much social / political strife to enjoy living there as a retiree.

WY is great.... so are several other places.
Retiree friends enjoy living near Sheridan in Dayton and Ranchester.

Enjoy your adventure. Consider house / pet sitting for an extended time to get to know locals.
I stay in Guest Homes, so always with locals. (For over 25 yrs... 100+ stays last yr alone FREE - $20 / night WW)
Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming