Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Wyoming: job market, graduate degree, tax help, great schools, cost of living.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:17 AM

182 posts, read 469,421 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a college student, who is about to be married and adopt a 2 year old. I am majoring in wildlife management to get my certification as a wildlife biologist. I want to work for the government and am interested in taking a job in Wyoming.

I just need to have a few questions answered.

1.) Is Wyoming a good place for a newly graduated student to take a job and live?
2.) What are the prices on property? Taxes?
3.) Is Wyoming a good place to raise a child?

Here are other states I am interested in moving to:
Alaska
Montana
New Mexico
Colorado
Nebraska
South Dakota
North Dakota
Utah

I really appreciate the help!

Jessica

P.S. We love the idea of mountain life and would prefer cooler summers. We are very tired of the heat here in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 11:45 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcnally View Post
Hi,

I am a college student, who is about to be married and adopt a 2 year old. I am majoring in wildlife management to get my certification as a wildlife biologist. I want to work for the government and am interested in taking a job in Wyoming.

I just need to have a few questions answered.

1.) Is Wyoming a good place for a newly graduated student to take a job and live?
2.) What are the prices on property? Taxes?
3.) Is Wyoming a good place to raise a child?
1) IMO, yes. Lots of opportunities for outdoor work, esp with gov't jobs which pay well and have substantial benefit packages.
2) Depends upon where you locate. Some areas are tourist/resort driven, very very very expensive by any standards. Some areas are "boom areas" due to extractive industries, very expensive. Some areas are very realistic and affordable. Property taxes are low, sales taxes are low, and there's no state income tax; be aware that many gov't services well funded in other states are not predominant here. Wyoming public schools, however, are very well funded.
3) IMO, yes, if your outlook is to entertain yourself (& family) via the many outdoor opportunities here vs the "to be entertained" mentality. If you need big shopping centers, lots of "cultural" scene (museums, theater, artsy districts), many restaurants to choose from 24/7 ... you'll be disappointed. Wyoming is mostly rural, with small "towns" dotting the state with a lot of distance between them. Public schools ... see #2.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:51 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
I can only compare Wyoming to Montana, as those are the only two states where I've lived. We recently moved back to WY for many reasons, although we loved Montana. Those reasons are:

1) I'm a teacher & teachers get paid WAY MORE in Wyoming. The schools also have more money, so if you equate money to a good education, then yes, there is funding available for a good education.

2) There were many more opps for husband to get a better, long term, better paying job.

3) We feel that people in Wyoming are generally "nicer" and more genuine.

4) Taxes are much lower when you consider all of them & come to the bottom line.

5) There seem to be more outdoor opportunities as there is more public land than in MT.

6) Cost of living is lower in Wyoming except for a few towns where they are getting out of hand, especially Jackson (tourist trap) area and now Sheridan is very pricey, too.

This is just my opinion. Hopefully you get a variety of opinions from many places and can decide for yourself what's best for you & your new family!

Old 08-21-2008, 11:53 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
for your desires I would rank your choices

Wyoming,
Alaska
Washington (add)
all of the above are state income tax free (as is TX)

Montana (sales tax free)

Colorado is fine, but more crowded, (commute, hassle factor, 'herd-like' shopping centers, urban sprawl, pollution) higher job pressures and property expense. Taxes are siomewhat high too.

All have good areas for weather and raising kids and getting a job in your field. (usajobs.com) + universities

Property values and schools vary considerably across the states, but you will be constrained by the job location. Maybe you could get a job with a university at a remote station / lab. There are some really nice ones for fisheries and ocean research in WA and AK. If they provide housing, that would be a huge plus for the economics of starting out. When you get equity saved up you can invest in 'income producing' real estate and eventually the positive cash flows can pay your rent or payment on your own place .

Good luck, I hope you find a great job and have a happy family.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:09 PM

182 posts, read 469,421 times
Thanks, from the way it sounds, Montana and Wymoning definitely need to be at the top of my list, which they are! My dad says they are both fabulous states to visit when he did, and from the way you all make it sound, Wyoming is a great place to live. Definitely need to consider joining your population!

Old 08-22-2008, 02:39 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,057,516 times
Here is a good website to visit also

Wyoming At Work

My ranking of places to move to would be...

1. Wyoming
2. Montana
3. Alaska

4. South Dakota
5. Utah
6. North Dakota
7. Nebraska

I personally could not live in New Mexico, Colorado, or Washington State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: