Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 10:58 PM

24 posts, read 65,046 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm working on a book that I'll probably situate in the Casper area. Are there distinctive aspects of the town, airport and surrounding areas that you can describe to me? The airport will figure prominently -- especially the FSDO.

In addition--

Are there any ravines within 10 or 20 miles of the airport? If so, in which direction?

Are there any large bodies of water within 10 or 20 miles of the airport? If so, in which direction?

What's your favorite restaurant in or near Casper, where exactly is it located, and what can you tell me about it?

What's your favorite recreation in or near Casper, where exactly is it located, and what can you tell me about it?

I'll probably have lots more questions, but this is a good start.

Thanks so much!
Wendy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 06:20 AM

116 posts, read 449,843 times
1) There are ravines everywhere.

2) Alcova resevoir is 35 miles SW of the airport (off route 220.) Pathfinder reservoir is a few miles past that. Take a look at Mapquest. The satellite image option may help you.

3) I like Eggington's restaurant. See here:
Eggington's Restaurant, Casper, WY : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local

4) What kind of recreation are you looking for? Some popular activities in town see to be golf, throwing darts, fishing the Platte river, and bicycling. Hunting is popular (not in town). ATVs are also very popular.

Good luck with the book.

Last edited by SkunkApe; 11-20-2008 at 06:29 AM..

Old 11-20-2008, 08:01 AM

716 posts, read 2,818,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePiedPiper View Post
What's your favorite recreation in or near Casper, where exactly is it located, and what can you tell me about it?

Thanks so much!
Wendy
Hogadon Basin ski area. I can't think of too many places where you can be snow skiing within 30 minutes of leaving downtown. It's hardly in the big leagues but it sure is convienant. I can't think of too many other ski areas where you park at the top of the ski area and start skiing downhill.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:05 AM

716 posts, read 2,818,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkApe View Post
1) There are ravines everywhere.

2) Alcova resevoir is 35 miles SW of the airport (off route 220.) Pathfinder reservoir is a few miles past that. Take a look at Mapquest. The satellite image option may help you.
Speaking of ravines, there's a very large scenic canyon connecting Alcova with Pathfinder. It's best to see via boat but if you take the back road from Alcova there are some areas where you can see it via car.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:25 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,292 times
O.K. here we go.
Go west of the Casper airport about 12 miles until you get to Bucknum Road,follow it north about 14 miles. Going under Bucknum and at the head of Dead Horse Road turn off to the east, is a ravine/old river bed that sometimes has seasonal water. At this point is the old Firing Test Range for WWII Air Force, what once was dotted with huge wooden targets, 50 calibre bullet holes and shell casings. Is now wild native dryland grass fields fighting for life each summer,due to the present drought in the western states. The area adds to the feed source of wildlife and the occasional mustang herds(hey maybe?). It runs from the west to northwest angling through the red clay landscape for miles. Some of the banks are as high as 30 feet from the bottom and it has many small ravines feeding into it. I'd say if your putting something into it that you didn't want found. Throw in in a small ravine, push dirt over it by collasping the bank. With no more rain than has been over the years. It wouldn't be uncovered for a long time. The only witnesses would be, maybe the lone Pronghorn Buck, a very silent witness,indeed.
Yes I have tried my hand a writing, just never found a kind publisher.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:06 PM

24 posts, read 65,046 times
Great stuff, guys. Is there a map that shows these ravines and do the ravines have names? Are there any small towns out that way, maybe near a prominent ravine? Thanks!

Old 11-25-2008, 06:50 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,785,460 times
You may want to check out www.wyomingtourism.org I got a variety of info from them last year. Great maps and fun Wyoming info.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:55 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,292 times
About the only map or two I know of is. BLM land plat maps, get the one of Natrona county. Orderd at the blm website. Another on is Wyoming Sportsmans maps. I haven't seen one of these for years though. These are great maps that name almost everything in the map.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:41 AM

16 posts, read 69,203 times
I would recommend you download Google Earth. Often you'll be able to find names for even the most obscure geographic features....

TNT

Old 11-26-2008, 06:15 PM

116 posts, read 449,843 times
What's this fixation with ravines about? They're all over the place. Here's one:

http://schaeffer7712.tripod.com/hoster/ravine.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: