Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 02:43 PM

41 posts, read 129,049 times

Advertisements

Ahhh, the day cannot come soon enough that I can get out of California and head back to a beautiful state where it is ok to believe in God and think that people should take care of their own. I am a single mom from Northern California (full of hippies and pot freaks who all drink wine) and am looking forward to the day when I can leave. We drove through Cheyenne last summer and it is beautiful! I can handle the weather (snow/wind/thunder/sun) and I definitely don't want to change the state. I want to buy a small to medium sized home in a neighborhood where I can raise my daughter and feel safe.

My question is that I see a lot of threads on outsiders in Wyoming and being initially mistrusted. What kind of response could I expect to get upon moving there? I've seen a lot posted about Sheridan, Cody and Jackson. Is Cheyenne similar in attitude? Would it be difficult making friends with my neighbors or around town? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 02:58 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,058,155 times
My experience so far... (I moved from Oregon)

We are a basic lower middle class income family, that value small town atmosphere, and the way of life out here as well as low taxes... We live in Sheridan, but are trying to move to Buffalo.

There will always be a few that are mistrusting and see your license plate and look at ya, but I don't blame them sometimes... but at the same time most people give you a chance, at least has been my experience so far.
Most people treat you as an individual rather than where you come from. As long as you come here and not try to convert everyone to more regulation and laws similar to CA's I think you are good to go.
A lot of long term locals take pride in the way of life here and get defensive only because they want to preserve it.

I say be yourself and blend in and you shouldn't have too much of a problem... Most people take to you kindly when you assimilate into the culture...

Best of luck to you and feel free to ask any questions....

Old 05-21-2008, 03:45 PM

144 posts, read 628,170 times
You seem to have a good attitude, so I don't think you'll have any problems anywhere in Wyoming.

Cheyenne is pretty welcoming to "outsiders", largely due to the presence of FE Warren AFB, which imports thousands of airmen from all over the US, so you tend to see more out-of-staters there than in most of Wyo.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:48 PM

59 posts, read 226,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixofone View Post
You seem to have a good attitude, so I don't think you'll have any problems anywhere in Wyoming.

Cheyenne is pretty welcoming to "outsiders", largely due to the presence of FE Warren AFB, which imports thousands of airmen from all over the US, so you tend to see more out-of-staters there than in most of Wyo.
x2, you will fit in fine

born/raised in cheyenne

Old 05-26-2008, 06:47 PM

430 posts, read 1,623,535 times
Cheyenne is not a "tourist" town so to speak and that is where you may find more distrust than most towns. When we moved from Colo to Wheatland (an hour north of Chey) 30 yr ago I was a "greenie" & yet doors were opened to me all over town - very friendly & clean town. Cheyenne is a smal city and is much more tolerant to outsiders moving in than a few other towns. More are OK with outsiders than not - and esp. if you go to church - you will have more friends than you have time for.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:39 PM

430 posts, read 1,623,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethewest View Post
Are you leaving Wyoming any time soon? Please?! I mean seriously, why are you here?
I've been wondering if you hate it so much here when you apparently have the ability to live all over the world why you are here? And the only sone of those you mention is "Mama tried" & haven't heard it in probably 15-18 years by Merle Haggard. So you guys have found some oldy moldy country music. Wyo is different than most states but I have lived in a small 'Mayberry" in Ohio as a kid, Littleton, CO & spent most of THAT time - as a teenager - trying to find a way out of CO in anyway possible. I NEVER would have thought I would end up in Wyo but I've been here for 30 years, have 4 kids here - not one of which ever did meth tho had friends who did all that including X, etc. (trust me I would know because of my own rebellious years some decades ago...) and are of strong Christian faiths, 3 of the 4 stayed in Wyo successfully with my 27-yr-old oldest son owning his own home that is better than mine & has a bank account to boot (unmarried so doesn't have THAT expense), my daughter with 3 children & her husband live outside of Cody a few miles & I have a son & step-daughter in Cheyenne. The only one who left was the one who joined the army, perm duty station at Ft. Bragg & married a young lady from WV - and they don't move far from home. So he is back there but misses home often but is just happy wherever his fam is. He ALSO is building his own home, owning the land - he is 26. So, as uneducated as Wyomingites & as ignorant & alcohol-swilling as we all are, some of us actually do not bow down to peer pressure from some around us & live our OWN lives. And - yes, there is a serious drug & alcohol prob in Wyo but there is in most states. It doesn't take very many over the norm to really skew the stats for alcoholism/drug use / suicide because of how low our population is. So, paint is as nasty as you want, if you are made of the right stuff Wyo is the perfect place. If not, you definitely need to find somewhere else. And I DEFINITELY believe you are one of those. Why DO you stay??? Or HAVE you moved but you just can't stand to not stay here & bash it?

Old 05-27-2008, 01:04 AM

67 posts, read 72,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoMama View Post
I've been wondering if you hate it so much here when you apparently have the ability to live all over the world why you are here? And the only sone of those you mention is "Mama tried" & haven't heard it in probably 15-18 years by Merle Haggard. So you guys have found some oldy moldy country music. Wyo is different than most states but I have lived in a small 'Mayberry" in Ohio as a kid, Littleton, CO & spent most of THAT time - as a teenager - trying to find a way out of CO in anyway possible. I NEVER would have thought I would end up in Wyo but I've been here for 30 years, have 4 kids here - not one of which ever did meth tho had friends who did all that including X, etc. (trust me I would know because of my own rebellious years some decades ago...) and are of strong Christian faiths, 3 of the 4 stayed in Wyo successfully with my 27-yr-old oldest son owning his own home that is better than mine & has a bank account to boot (unmarried so doesn't have THAT expense), my daughter with 3 children & her husband live outside of Cody a few miles & I have a son & step-daughter in Cheyenne. The only one who left was the one who joined the army, perm duty station at Ft. Bragg & married a young lady from WV - and they don't move far from home. So he is back there but misses home often but is just happy wherever his fam is. He ALSO is building his own home, owning the land - he is 26. So, as uneducated as Wyomingites & as ignorant & alcohol-swilling as we all are, some of us actually do not bow down to peer pressure from some around us & live our OWN lives. And - yes, there is a serious drug & alcohol prob in Wyo but there is in most states. It doesn't take very many over the norm to really skew the stats for alcoholism/drug use / suicide because of how low our population is. So, paint is as nasty as you want, if you are made of the right stuff Wyo is the perfect place. If not, you definitely need to find somewhere else. And I DEFINITELY believe you are one of those. Why DO you stay??? Or HAVE you moved but you just can't stand to not stay here & bash it?
I hope to move in August. That is when I will be done with my post-graduate school internship. If I were to move beforehand (and I think about it each and every single day), I would quite possibly have to begin it anew. I've been here since last August. I really don't want to start again. I came here with a very open mind. I have never seen more depressing, drab people. I'm hoping to move back to New York, California or Alabama. Wyoming has instilled a fear of the unknown in me. I want familiarity now. I know there are decent people here. I know a few personally, and genuinely kind of pity them. I can't imagine what they like about this godforsaken place, and suspect that they just don't know that there are places where the weather isn't deplorable almost all the time and where there are interesting activities and pleasant surroundings.

I love reading (I think I've become the best customer of both Alibris and Amazon since moving here - there certainly aren't any decent bookstores. There isn't any bookstore period in this town. In New York, I used to read on my balcony a lot. In Auburn, I loved reading outside on my enclosed back patio. Likewise in California, Mexico and Spain. Here, if it isn't freezing, the wind is blowing at hurricane force; and passers by look at one if he/she were a freak anyway. I actually enjoy nature, but found I could enjoy it more even in urban areas. What is the point if it is too freezing and windy to experience it even remotely comfortably? I also get tired of the wannabe thug youths with their stupid thumping base stereo systems. There is nothing quite as pathetic as a country assed hick youth striving for the urban "gangsta" motif, or thinking they can attain it as such.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:52 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,833,452 times
Wyo2008. You will fit in great out east. I see people here everyday. Parks,fishing,cafes,bookstores, ect. They may be in a area with other people. But go to extensive measures to pretend they are the only ones there. Completely out of tune to what is happening around them. Just wanting to do their thing. They won't acknowledge anything or anyone.
Walking down the same sidewalk with other people,seeing only straight ahead.
I'll take your spot in wyoming for sure. I'll have a edge tho. I lived there so I know how to fit in.
Tennessee has instilled a coming fear in me. I fear, if I stay here I will become just like that.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:33 AM

59 posts, read 226,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo2008 View Post
I hope to move in August. That is when I will be done with my post-graduate school internship. If I were to move beforehand (and I think about it each and every single day), I would quite possibly have to begin it anew. I've been here since last August. I really don't want to start again. I came here with a very open mind. I have never seen more depressing, drab people. I'm hoping to move back to New York, California or Alabama. Wyoming has instilled a fear of the unknown in me. I want familiarity now. I know there are decent people here. I know a few personally, and genuinely kind of pity them. I can't imagine what they like about this godforsaken place, and suspect that they just don't know that there are places where the weather isn't deplorable almost all the time and where there are interesting activities and pleasant surroundings.

I love reading (I think I've become the best customer of both Alibris and Amazon since moving here - there certainly aren't any decent bookstores. There isn't any bookstore period in this town. In New York, I used to read on my balcony a lot. In Auburn, I loved reading outside on my enclosed back patio. Likewise in California, Mexico and Spain. Here, if it isn't freezing, the wind is blowing at hurricane force; and passers by look at one if he/she were a freak anyway. I actually enjoy nature, but found I could enjoy it more even in urban areas. What is the point if it is too freezing and windy to experience it even remotely comfortably? I also get tired of the wannabe thug youths with their stupid thumping base stereo systems. There is nothing quite as pathetic as a country assed hick youth striving for the urban "gangsta" motif, or thinking they can attain it as such.
you obviously aren't tough enough to live in wyoming.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:42 AM

362 posts, read 919,644 times
Wyo2008, sound's like you are looking for "Utopia". I assure you, you will not find it ANYWHERE. There is always give and take, no place is perfect. True happiness comes from within, period. I echo Wild Hare's response. I think you are a bit too fragile for WY or any of the Rocky Mountain states. I wish you well in your quest for perfection. Just know it's not going to be found...........anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming