Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2006, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,556 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm single and 54 years old, living on SSI in a disabled subsidized apt. now, and looking for the same in Wyoming.

I drove through the state about 5 years ago and never forgot it. Such beautiful country and weather! Of course, I hear the weather can change fast and can be a bit rough... is that true?

Anyway, I may be getting off SSI in the future and looking for employment, most likely part-time only. I do want to be close to some shopping, not neccesarily large cities. And the rent would have to be reasonable for me, if I get off SSI and work. I'm also an artist and illustrator, so I make a little bit extra with that.

I'd like a safe area, since I'm single and will be living alone.

I do have a car and will be driving up. I think the most important thing right now would be the subsidized apt. in a nice safe and pretty area. I'd prefer not to live in a high rise.

By the way, I live in Upstate, N.Y. now.

Thanks so much for anything you can help with!
Dee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2006, 02:22 PM

49 posts, read 305,369 times
Dear Dee,

I’ve noticed your post has been sitting here a while, with no response yet. I’ve hesitated to respond because I am new to Wyoming, and am not adequately informed/educated about subsidized housing here.

I live in Carbon County, WY, and yes, it’s beautiful here. Rawlins is the closest city of substance, and I imagine subsidized housing there may be available, but sparse. However, I do know that Laramie, WY, a beautifully located city, (home to the University of Wyoming), probably offers what you’re looking for, as would, (more than likely), Casper. And, both of the aforementioned are what can be considered as, “affordable” cities, (unlike/compared to the more scenic/tourist communities northward).

Good luck, should you decide to move to Wyoming. I know that for us, the beauty and open space in Wyoming, has made it a very favorable, and so far, enjoyed, location for us.

Almost forgot to include this; YES, the weather can be rough. WY, (and throughout the entire year), is a windy state. There are days when the wind doesn't blow, but most days, and at the very least, a slight-to-hardy breeze can usually be detected. And it seems like here, storms can set in so quickly, and such does close down highways/interstates in a heartbeat. We've noticed that in WY, summertime/hot weather is quite pleasant however, and compared to Colroado where we came from. It may become rather toasty during the day, but once the sun begins to set, it begins to cool down rapidly, thus making this season's weather very accomodating.

Last edited by Munshine; 06-21-2006 at 02:31 PM..

Old 07-09-2006, 06:41 PM

14 posts, read 127,722 times
Hi Dee!

I was born and raised in Wyoming, but I've also lived in Colorado for a while too. Likewise, I'm disabled, on SSI, and live in subsidized housing.

I'd just registered onto this forum and then saw your post - so I thought I'd reply to you right away.

For my area of the state - southeastern Wyoming - we have the Cheyenne Housing Authority.

Their contact information is:

Cheyenne Housing Authority
3304 Sheridan Street
Cheyenne, WY 82009

ph#: (307) 634-7947 = Cheyenne.
ph#: (307) 745-4409 = Laramie.

Cheyenne - the state capitol - has a population between 50,000 and 55,000 people.
Laramie - home of the University of Wyoming - has a population between 25,000 and 30,000.
We are mostly a small-town kind of state. Even Casper - the largest city in Wyoming - only has a population between 55,000 and 60,000 people.
The tallest buildings in Wyoming are in Laramie - they belong to the University of Wyoming - and they are the residence halls for UW students. So, I don't think you'd need to worry about being stuck in a high-rise apartment building.

I hope this information helps you.

Good Luck and Best Wishes,
TML
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming