Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 04:36 PM

3 posts, read 16,528 times

Advertisements

I wanted to visit Hell's Half Acre outside of Casper. I have been researching and finding mixed information about public access. I live in Salt Lake City and I hope to find out before I get there if I'm going to find "No Trespassing" signs or a wonderful adventure. Can anyone help?
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/427294162JFOtgjHell's (broken link) Half Acre (One of the most unusual places on earth) pictures from deserts photos on webshots[/url]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 03-03-2009 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: Fixed URL to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 05:06 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,100,658 times
I know they had planned on demolishing the old hotel out there and that the restaurant is all boarded up. They do have the old parking lot barricaded, but you can park down from there and walk up to the edge - uncertain of being able to walk further into it from there. Makes for some fine photography.

Edited to add: There is a gravel road leading into the canyon, but the county has it fenced off. It has been years since I have been out there, I'm sorry.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:15 PM

Thanks! Ideally I would like to get down to the bottom. If there are no established trails, I would rather not leave any trace of my visit. But if there are, I will be sure to bring my hiking boots!

Old 03-03-2009, 05:19 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,241,506 times
I was there a few years ago. I didn't see any trails, but I dont see why you couldn't hike down. It's a lot more than an acre, and it is certainly hell. It is beautiful in it's own way. I think it's worth a stop.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:20 PM

The last I've heard on it - and this has been some time ago - is that the area has been up for sale since the early 2000's. I believe it was donated to the county prior to that - but again, my memory is dodgy and I could be in complete error.
It's perhaps best if you check with the proper agencies -- BLM (Bureau of Land Management)perhaps. I do know sometimes Archaeologists allow some to travel with them down to the bottom...but as I've stated, it has been some time ago.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
I was there a few years ago. I didn't see any trails, but I dont see why you couldn't hike down. It's a lot more than an acre, and it is certainly hell. It is beautiful in it's own way. I think it's worth a stop.
It is beautiful in its own way, yes...but as far as just hiking down there willy-nilly, that is where she/he may need to do some further investigating and inquiring. There are some Archaeology hot spots there - or there were last time I was there - and I am uncertain how they'd feel if someone was traipsing around uninvited - so to speak.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:37 PM

It is its unique beauty that intrigues me. I think I will contact the BLM and see if they can tell me more regarding public access. But if any of the local hikers might know first hand, I would be happy for the info. Thanks for passing on what you know!

Old 03-03-2009, 06:41 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
We stopped there last July, and the parking lot at the old restaurant was open ... at least for the portion closest to the highway.

The place was all boarded up, but it appears that some vandalism had taken place and the back door/porch area was opened up. It was pretty much a shambles, and not someplace you'd want to go inside.

The view from the back by the cable fencing is spectacular. However, there were "posted" signs along the area, and it's clear that they don't want or allow trespassing down the hillside. Judging from the rock formations and the steep hillsides, it's not a hikable excursion from the parking lot area.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:06 PM

I thought as much, sunsprit, thank you. Cannot quite rely on the memory I recall the dirt road - only one - into the canyon, and it is fenced off. I believe the last it was open was in 2003 or so.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:59 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
I thought as much, sunsprit, thank you. Cannot quite rely on the memory I recall the dirt road - only one - into the canyon, and it is fenced off. I believe the last it was open was in 2003 or so.

Does anyone know who owns Hell's Half Acre? I seem to recall that it is privately owned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming