Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 12:44 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt fe2o3 View Post
Clothing technology has come a long way.
So true. Not even sure how our ancestors survived and glad I don't have to find out!

There is clothing for every taste now.

In my family a couple of us go with utilitarian, heavy work wear. Others look like they are snow boarding every time they leave the house. They are sure easy to spot in the snow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 10:48 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
my only problem with synthetic is they like to burn, melt , so not so great in the winter burning bale twine, using cutting torch, welder, space heater warming a diesel truck or tractor , or a camp fire while snow shoeing , or x skiing . now theses should not be a problem for a kid.... but working a different story

Old 05-03-2016, 10:10 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
my only problem with synthetic is they like to burn, melt , so not so great in the winter burning bale twine, using cutting torch, welder, space heater warming a diesel truck or tractor , or a camp fire while snow shoeing , or x skiing . now theses should not be a problem for a kid.... but working a different story
I agree. With my bunch you can sure tell who does what by our clothing! But, we are all warm.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:08 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
interesting to see that Sierra Trading Post is already advertising/promoting cool/cold season clothing at 20% off (whatever that means ... you have to check out the individual deals to see the "savings") and "free shipping".

Still, it's worthwhile to get onto their email list if for no better reason than to see if they have stuff you can't live without at a price that's a great deal.

For example, last year I bought a bunch of cotton duck canvas carpenter workpants (similar to Duluth Trading Co "fire hose" workwear) on a close-out for $9. per pair. USA made, I've worn only 4 pair of them so far, and they are comfortable (tailor fit for us older guys who aren't so "trim" anymore) and exceptionally durable workwear (although the light brown color does stain readily from being around all the grease/oil/fluids from farm work). They were 2nd's due to having a number of isolated places in the fabric where the canvas had larger warp threads than normal, so there are a bunch of little "bumps" in the fabric that don't affect the performance of the pants. I bought the first pair to check them out and returned to buy 10 more ... which was all they had left. Similarly, they had men's Carhartt work heavy T-shirts at $6 each ... 2nd's, and out of the dozen I bought, only one had a noticeable defect. It was a small hole in the fabric which had been hand sewn to close it up; it lasted through only a few washings before it opened up. But for $6, I got my money's worth out of that shirt and the rest of them are just fine for daily workwear around the farm. They are comparable to my $16 Duluth Trading Co on sale T-shirts or my Carhartt 1st's T-shirts bought locally on sale at Murdoch's. Similarly, I bought a bunch of Carhartt 2nd's heavy sweatshirts at STP last year for a fraction of the price of 1st's ... the first time I'd seen these at STP in years, so I bought a half-dozen; ie, when you see stuff that you'll use at STP on smokin' sales, you buy it because it may not be around again when you need it. I'm set for years ahead with workwear clothing for a fraction of the cost of retail prices. Whatever the defects are that caused the sweatshirts to be rated as 2nd's, I can't find them ... and these sweatshirts are very durable, too.

And so it goes with cold weather clothing. Keep an eye out for the stuff you'll likely want and buy soon at a fraction of the price in-season. Keep in mind that STP has a 100% return policy for any reason, so you can buy the stuff, get it home and try it on. If you don't like it ... fit/finish/style/color or whatever ... send it back for a full refund. As mentioned previously, do keep in mind that the key to winter comfort is to have an outer shell that provides weather protection and modest weight, then layer up beneath that as needed to achieve you comfort level for the temperatures.

FYI ... STP carries many of the famous maker brand names that you see in first run stores. The difference is that STP buys their inventory as overstocks, discontinued styles/colors, overrun production, or 2nd's. I've even bought Filson clothing from them at a fraction of the retail price.

Last edited by sunsprit; 05-04-2016 at 05:26 AM..

Old 05-04-2016, 08:32 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt fe2o3 View Post
I'm from the warm coast but spend a good bit of time in the cold and my wife lived in Ireland for 20 years and then SLC for 10. Folks may throw stones at me here, but Quicksilver makes some great kids clothes (and the key esp for kids is to find them at thrift shops or on-line used like on ebay- virtually new and a dry-cleaning does wonders), also Marmot brand and Patagonia for inner and outer-layers for cold for adults and kids alike. Clothing technology has come a long way. I also ride a motorcycle year round (down to the 30's and up into the 90's) Areostich is my brand there. On the other end of the spectrum is an outfit called Refrigiwear [dot-com]. They have some really decent stuff and if you catch their sales you can score some nice warm stuff at incredible prices (cold is what they do). Agree gortex is great. Anyway that's my .02c. Edit: yes wool is good.
Pick the clothes that you like. I've been buying most off my clothes from LL Bean for years. I don't need work clothes.

Marmot makes very nice but very expensive clothing. I believe that if you have one really warm coat you're set. Layering is even simpler. Silk underwear is wonderful and not at all expensive. Do keep warm clothing in vehicles as well as a full survival kit.

I never see motorcycles in winter here in Cody. Our winters are milder than what people experience in some other parts of Wyoming.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:37 AM

Sierra Trading Post is great for silk long underwear. and the wool blend, smart wool long underwear...avoid cotton long under wear... cotton holds moisture....

Old 05-04-2016, 11:25 AM

234 posts, read 267,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
interesting to see that Sierra Trading Post is already advertising/promoting cool/cold season clothing at 20% off (whatever that means ... you have to check out the individual deals to see the "savings") and "free shipping".

Still, it's worthwhile to get onto their email list if for no better reason than to see if they have stuff you can't live without at a price that's a great deal.
I second the recommendation of receiving Sierra Trading Post' emails. They will bombard your inbox (I usually receive 1 per day, sometimes 2-3 in 24 hours), but I tolerate it, because on the occasions when I need to buy something from there I have yet to purchase anything that I could not discount with one of my emails.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:09 PM

83 posts, read 95,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Pick the clothes that you like. I've been buying most off my clothes from LL Bean for years. I don't need work clothes.

Marmot makes very nice but very expensive clothing. I believe that if you have one really warm coat you're set. Layering is even simpler. Silk underwear is wonderful and not at all expensive. Do keep warm clothing in vehicles as well as a full survival kit.

I never see motorcycles in winter here in Cody. Our winters are milder than what people experience in some other parts of Wyoming.
You won't find mine out anywhere below about 30+ degrees or with any snow lingering. Too much risk of ice for two wheels. For me it's a piece of equipment to commute on. The Aerostich stuff is US made in Minnesota and is dear in price but lasts a long time and offers second none in overall protection, except of course proper padded leather. Honestly outside of commuting I would probably stop riding street and switch back to trail as hobby riding.

We have a Marmot store about 20 miles away and when they have a discontinued sale I can get a decent coat for the wife for 70 to 120 dollars, or a jacket for 50 to 80, which for me for a cold weather lined gortex coat or jacket from that brand is pretty decent. I wear a lot of Carhart as other guys in the tall and robust sizes do. Nixwash and Nixwax are pretty helpful tools as well. Cabelas to me has kinda gone down-hill in selection. They used to be my go-to. Duluth stuff is nice.

Some pretty good tips on getting deals in the thread.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
So true. Not even sure how our ancestors survived and glad I don't have to find out!

There is clothing for every taste now.

In my family a couple of us go with utilitarian, heavy work wear. Others look like they are snow boarding every time they leave the house. They are sure easy to spot in the snow!
When Marco Polo was going over the Himalaya the natives clothing didn't seem bulky enough for the cold temp.... their secret , they core spin silk and add cashmere . They then made kind of a lacy under layer... lot of air trapped. Being on the silk road and rising cashmere goats kind of worked together.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:10 PM

83 posts, read 95,847 times
I just got an email from Refrigiwear - sale with discount code BEST516 for 15% off. refrigiwear DOT com

Just an FWI - this is a pretty good time of year to buy that jacket or coat for next season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming