Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,677 times

Advertisements

So, I'm thinking about moving to Laramie from Colorado. I can't find work here and barely have any money to my name. I've applied for a few jobs in Laramie, but I'm concerned about living arrangements. I'm not sure where I would live until after a month's worth of work. Are there any options available to me? Homeless shelter? Or a really cheap place to rent? I have a friend who might help me out, but not until college starts back up in September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 08:08 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times
My understanding is that typical hourly wages in Laramie are pretty low, probably due to the availability of students wanting part time jobs. My wife was just telling me that one of her employees just moved from Laramie to Gillette because the wages were so low in Laramie. But free rent? Not likely. Homeless shelters maybe. The one in Gillette is pretty strict regarding when you can be there, etc. They want it to be as you've suggested -- a place to get out of the weather while you save some money for rent... or gas to get out of town.

If you can pass a drug test, are healthy and want to work, there's plenty of opportunity in many parts of Wyoming. I'm just not sure Laramie would be the best place. And I'd never suggest going anywhere with empty pockets. You need first and last month's rent, deposit money for utilities and enough cash to buy food, gas, etc. for a month -- $2500 minimum I say.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:44 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
You might want to try the oilfields of ND if you are DESPERATE for a job.

The oppertunites are fairly good in Laramie right now. There seems to be quite a bit of construction and new homes being built, if that's what you do.

With all of the college students, the rental market is large but can be competitive.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:32 AM

100 posts, read 227,368 times
Rent in Laramie is expensive.. Probably very competitive this time of year due to the college.

I would try to get a job before you get there, if you had a car there is some camping 30mins from town. There is not much to do in town. I would lay low the local law enforcement might consider you a tramp and Wyoming is pretty famous for moving tramps along in a cold hearted manner.

There is a few jobs on Craigslist about 4 posted a day- wyoming jobs classifieds "Laramie " - craigslist

Old 07-23-2014, 08:02 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
My kids never had a problem getting a job in Laramie, youngest is working for UW this summer. Daughter worked at Wall-Mart when she was going to school. In the deli at not too bad of a pay scale where most people just get minim wage. Biggest problem there was they didn't want to work around her classs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: